JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW 2011 Tuning Kit - Anyone Have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 06:13 AM
tccox
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My build date October 2010 so if it installs on mine you also should be good. I'll know next week

Old 09-24-2011, 09:41 AM
capt fred
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by roushraven
I guess I have been given some bad information. All of you guys are getting the JCW tuning kit for the 2011 MCS intalled and tuned by the dealer? I tried to buy the kit just last week but was waved off by my dealership; they said the calibration was not available yet. Was there a change by the factory that would make my car different? I believe it was built December 2010.

Any of you that successfully had this done care to PM me the telephone number to your dealership where they did the install?

I'm very confused.
I had the same situation. Flow Mini is Raleigh told me the kit wasn't available, the same day Flow Mini in Winston Salem told me had one in stock. The next day I had it in my hands. The software download can be problematic and I think some dealers just don't want to be involved.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:48 AM
tccox
4th Gear
Capt_Fred

Installed successfully by Hendricks of Charlotte. Only thing is installing the software changed the way the trip odometer is displayed. Its no longer on bottom of display next to odometer display but on top and you have to cycle with button to get to it.

Love the sound though, and coming back on on UNC Charlottes high speed test track(I-485) it REALLY pulls hard from 70 on up, you put your foor in it and you get to 90 REAL quick. Did notice some drone though when engine is under load

Am I glad I bought it ? Yep

Old 09-30-2011, 11:51 AM
roushraven
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tccox

Installed successfully by Hendricks of Charlotte. Only thing is installing the software changed the way the trip odometer is displayed. Its no longer on bottom of display next to odometer display but on top and you have to cycle with button to get to it.

Love the sound though, and coming back on on UNC Charlottes high speed test track(I-485) it REALLY pulls hard from 70 on up, you put your foor in it and you get to 90 REAL quick. Did notice some drone though when engine is under load

Am I glad I bought it ? Yep
That's great news! FYI, I found a dealership that will install the JCW tuning kit in my car and have scheduled to have it done by them next Thursday. I can hardly wait!

-Arthur

Old 10-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Rocket Dog
1st Gear
I had my Stage One JCW kit installed today. For me, it made the car complete. My next purchase will probably be replacement tires for the front when they wear down. The "seat of your pants" feeling is quite impressive regardless of the HP increase.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:00 PM
roushraven
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rocket Dog
I had my Stage One JCW kit installed today. For me, it made the car complete. My next purchase will probably be replacement tires for the front when they wear down. The "seat of your pants" feeling is quite impressive regardless of the HP increase.
Just got my JCW kit installed too.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:50 PM
NavyNUKE
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know how this kit will change SCCA classes?

Old 10-11-2011, 06:16 PM
MADnFL
2nd Gear
Yep, gotta love the JCW Tuning Kit. Sometimes I don't even press the sport button and the car still moves plenty fast

Old 10-13-2011, 12:10 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The tech at my local dealer told me he just installed a JCW kit and it included a new exhaust manifold. He suspects it is the same manifold as comes on the factory JCW. It was the first one he installed that had more than just catback, intake, and tune.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:33 PM
capt fred
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
The tech at my local dealer told me he just installed a JCW kit and it included a new exhaust manifold. He suspects it is the same manifold as comes on the factory JCW. It was the first one he installed that had more than just catback, intake, and tune.
I had my 2011 done about a month ago and it had the new exhaust manifold. Some people are not installing the new manifold because there is about 2+ extra hours of labor to do it. But I did it because in my mind, if I looked at the manifold sitting on the shelf, I would imagine all the power I would have had if I had installed it, so I did it. Today my wife drove the car for the first time since the kit install, and after she said "wow the car is so responsive".
Now that I have paid the Visa bill for it, it feels great and the pain is gone.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:33 PM
specooper
2nd Gear
I got the tuning kit as well and had it installed last month. I did not have the exhaust manifold installed, because I was quoted 5.5 additional hours of labor (above the 3.0) they are charging to do the basic kit install. I was told at the time they had to remove the turbo to do this manifold install. Is that what you where told as well. If it had only been two hours I would have gone that route, but 5.5 is a bit much. Is there any way I might be able to see a copy of the invoice. I might go back to mine and ask him why he wants so much more labor. Thanks for the help

Spencer

Old 10-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Berkdad
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by specooper
I got the tuning kit as well and had it installed last month. I did not have the exhaust manifold installed, because I was quoted 5.5 additional hours of labor (above the 3.0) they are charging to do the basic kit install. I was told at the time they had to remove the turbo to do this manifold install. Is that what you where told as well. If it had only been two hours I would have gone that route, but 5.5 is a bit much. Is there any way I might be able to see a copy of the invoice. I might go back to mine and ask him why he wants so much more labor. Thanks for the help

Spencer
8.5 hours seems like a lot. I was quoted 4 at a dealership nearby (monrovia, CA). there's an installation guide for the JCW tuning kit out there that estimates the time as 4 hrs. note: this guide is for the previous tuning kit w/o exhaust manifold for the U.S. but european models have had that part in their kits for a while. you'll notice that the guide quotes 2hrs (US) and 4 hrs (other countries).

Old 02-24-2012, 09:01 AM
mshale
1st Gear
Bringing this post back from the dead because a very important question was missed
Originally Posted by walk0080
Does the 2011 JCW kit include EDLC? I've read it may... that is a CAD$350 option here in Canada on the Cooper S.
This is an essential part of the upgrade kit, for me at least, and is the only reason that I haven't purchased more power yet...