JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW JCW kit for automatics NOW AVAILABLE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 04:46 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
That was a great deal... I think most installs for the rear swaybar are 150-200 bucks!

I'd wait and see how you like the kit first. I put the kit in and the alta inlet/boost tubes in but that's it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure it's worth the 800'ish price tag on the IC if you're not autox'ing your car. It won't add HP but will allow temps to remain cooler thus keeping the HP you have without getting lost in heatsoak.
Sounds like a good plan to me....and they have just lowered the price too!

Old 09-26-2008, 06:59 AM
inimini2007
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parts

I talked to my MA at Morristown MINI and he said "If you buy a MINI part from another dealership, your dealership has to honor the part because it is a MINI FACTORY part."

Now the only difference is will only be the labor charge which is set by your dealership.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:25 AM
sdavid01
2nd Gear
I'm contemplating the Stage 1 kit and just wanted to know more about how the kit affects the transmission. Right now at a highway speed around 70, the engine turns about 2400-2500 rpm. Is that changed with the kit?

Thanks,

sd

Last edited by sdavid01; 09-28-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:49 PM
seebobgo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sdavid01
I'm contemplating the Stage 1 kit and just wanted to know more about how the kit affects the transmission. Right now at a highway speed around 70, the engine turns about 2400-2500 rpm. Is that changed with the kit?

Thanks,

sd
Ah, it doesn't change the final drive .

Old 09-29-2008, 07:31 PM
krim
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Nick_G
I got calls back and found much better prices ranging from 325-400.
Monrovia mini $325
crevier and nick alexander $400.
The service manager at monrovia was also extremely knowledgeable, not to say the others weren't but he was the only one who didnt act like the install was hard.
Thanks for doing the leg work.
This will really help when i finally convince myself that i wont be laid off because another one of our bank customers fails or is bought out by someone one of our competitors services.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:21 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
YES!!! My kit was installed today and I could feel the difference as soon as I pulled out of the dealership. The first thing I noticed too was the throttle response just off idle. I think this was noticed by others here too. It feels like the sport button is on when you press the throttle...much more responsive. and over all smoother power. I didn't really noice much difference in normal shift points, maybe a little higher. The other area of note was at highway speeds. Then I turned on the sport button...darn thing almost gives you whiplash if you hit the throttle too fast...all good!

Old 10-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Nick_G
2nd Gear
Congrats FutureMini, My kit is suppose to come in on monday. I made a call to monrovia mini and have my appt for install on wed.
I can't wait, it feels like christmas.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:30 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by futuremini
YES!!! My kit was installed today and I could feel the difference as soon as I pulled out of the dealership. The first thing I noticed too was the throttle response just off idle. I think this was noticed by others here too. It feels like the sport button is on when you press the throttle...much more responsive. and over all smoother power. I didn't really noice much difference in normal shift points, maybe a little higher. The other area of note was at highway speeds. Then I turned on the sport button...darn thing almost gives you whiplash if you hit the throttle too fast...all good!

Congrats, you're going to love it even more once you get used to driving it. I love the extra power but really like the different shift points and the way the trans shifts.

Congrats again...

Mark

Old 10-03-2008, 04:56 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Agreed Mark!

After getting to drive it more today I do see a difference in shift points, up shifts and down shifts. The power is just there more through out the power band. JCW kit....Making fun minis even more fun to drive!!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Nick_G
2nd Gear
Kit was installed today at Monrovia Mini.
The car is awesome, sounds better goes faster, what else could i want.
Monrovia mini was great too, i didnt buy my car there, but they still gave me a free rental for the day and were very nice.
Highly recommend the tuning kit and Monrovia mini if you are in socal.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:15 PM
rwk317
2nd Gear
JCW tune

Mine was installed today along with nine other miscellaneous software updates. Very very nice! The added power is obvious and smooth throughout. Worth every penny.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:30 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Nick G and rwk317!
I agree... worth every penny. It is hard to tell everyone how much difference it makes, it is something you have to experience!

Old 10-09-2008, 10:34 AM
sequence
6th Gear
I think it's kinda neat how MCSa owners have a bond, unlike those with manual trannies maybe it's a defense mechanism against manual-heads who blindly reject any notion that an automatic equipped car could out perform theirs, as MCSa's regularly do in stock class Auto X.

All hail the MCSa!

Old 10-09-2008, 10:43 AM
NYMCS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rwk317
Mine was installed today along with nine other miscellaneous software updates. Very very nice! The added power is obvious and smooth throughout. Worth every penny.
Nine other upgrades! What were they?

Old 10-09-2008, 02:50 PM
rwk317
2nd Gear
Software Upgrades

Originally Posted by NYMCS
Nine other upgrades! What were they?
All were coded, the ones I remember were sun roof / fuse box / bluetooth / hi-fi / interior lights. Most were less than two minutes except Bluetooth which was 55 minutes. Tech said I would not even notice the changes and he was right.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 PM
rwk317
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
I think it's kinda neat how MCSa owners have a bond, unlike those with manual trannies maybe it's a defense mechanism against manual-heads who blindly reject any notion that an automatic equipped car could out perform theirs, as MCSa's regularly do in stock class Auto X.

All hail the MCSa!
My take on this is that the younger set in general are just quick to judge most things. No harm. Being over fifty and having owned numerous manual vehicles I say whatever. Twenty five years ago I thought the same way as them! My son has a slightly modified manual R56 and begs to drive mine.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:23 PM
NYMCS
2nd Gear
All were coded, the ones I remember were sun roof / fuse box / bluetooth / hi-fi / interior lights. Most were less than two minutes except Bluetooth which was 55 minutes. Tech said I would not even notice the changes and he was right.
Thats good info,thanks.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:29 PM
sequence
6th Gear
I think it crosses generations. I know a lot of older folks that are die hard stick heads, and constantly biatch about the lack of manual-geared new cars in general. Like you, I say whatever. I was a die hard stick guy until I drove my first R56 auto and was instantly sold (of course having a ton of clutch/fw problems in my R53 helped guide this decision.) Ive not driven the auto 6 and 7 speed dsg VW/Audi cars but I hear they're a hoot.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:41 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I'm with you guys.... My first 2 minis were sticks. I love the way the car feels when shifting, it's so smooth.

I went to the dealer to buy a clubman and while I was waiting, I took an automatic for a test drive for shiets and giggles.

It was an INSTANT love affair. I would have NEVER guessed an automatic would be such a blast.

When I found out that I could add a JCW stage I kit to it, I thought I'd have the best of both worlds.

I guess at almost 46, shifting is too much work for me... <getting old>

I love my automatic....

Mark

Old 10-09-2008, 05:19 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
I have an automatic(2007),and not thinking Mini would ever produce a JCW power upgrade,i purchased the CAI and exhaust from 1fast mini and really like the combo.Now i'm giving some thought to purchase the whole kit, just use ECU and sell the parts not required.In some respect this makes no sense at all,but for a larger grin,i'm inclined to do it anyway.Q

Old 10-09-2008, 05:23 PM
rwk317
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by atcql
I have an automatic(2007),and not thinking Mini would ever produce a JCW power upgrade,i purchased the CAI and exhaust from 1fast mini and really like the combo.Now i'm giving some thought to purchase the whole kit, just use ECU and sell the parts not required.In some respect this makes no sense at all,but for a larger grin,i'm inclined to do it anyway.Q

What your thinking about....... I did.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:46 PM
TheZackIsBack89
Neutral
I went to add the JCW Tuning Kit to a MCSa in the configurator to get an estimate on what the total cost of my MINI would look like, and I can no longer add the tuning kit with an automatic transmission.

Why did they disable it?
It was an option a few weeks back!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:23 PM
NYMCS
2nd Gear
My car should be delivered in two or three weeks. that was to be the first thing I did to it. Im curious as well to whats up. Anybody know?

Old 10-22-2008, 04:07 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheZackIsBack89
I went to add the JCW Tuning Kit to a MCSa in the configurator to get an estimate on what the total cost of my MINI would look like, and I can no longer add the tuning kit with an automatic transmission.

Why did they disable it?
It was an option a few weeks back!
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the JCW kit that was in the configurator was the factory JCW issue.

Obviously since you can't buy an automatic from the factory, the only thing to purchase is the Stage I JCW kit.

They probably removed it because people would think they were getting the Stage II kit from the factory with the automatics.

Mark

Old 10-22-2008, 05:59 AM
darmog
4th Gear
I think its more that the stage 1 kit that's available now has a slightly different exhaust that won't fit on the current 2009's and up. They were made to fit the early 2007 and 2008's. I believe the kit that will fit the 2009's should be available next month or so from what I remember.

Quick Reply: JCW JCW kit for automatics NOW AVAILABLE!!!