JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW JCW kit for automatics NOW AVAILABLE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:05 PM
diablito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sequence
great pics Morbius! sounds like those with 08s are having a blast

jesus these cars will smoke 6-speeds in stock auto-X. shifting gears with both hands on the wheel--while turning--is an otherworldly experience, and soooo F-1.
uh huh... Is going to be ssschweeeeeee! I love to test drive autos.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:56 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Well, I've been here at the dealership for 2 hours. They did the exhaust, installed an Alta inlet tube (not using the JCW intake cause I want to use my M7 cross bar) and went to install the JCW software.

Unfortunately, there were like 12 software updates that my car needed and they must be done before the JCW is installed.

It's going to add an add'l 115 minutes of time I have to sit here... oh well.... thought I would check in.

Let ya'll know how it runs when I get home.

Mark

PS. On the bright side, I had them to the bulletin update repair for the sunroof not opening.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:15 PM
old81
M6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark,

Are those 12 updates on your dime or are the covered as warranty items?

Let us know after you take that long trip if you love it or hate it.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:39 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Those updates should be covered by warranty. Software updating of ECU is a very gray area and if you leave it up to the dealers/shops, they will charge. To install the updates, is no effort on their part, its all automated. Once they push the button, the tech leaves and works on other things till finished.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:28 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the 09s will have all the ecu updates mark has to wait for now. speaking of which, the first boat of 09s should've departed merry olde england here in the last couple of days.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:04 AM
seebobgo
2nd Gear
Did your stage one kit come with a door sticker and a engine plaque? Mine was omitted and the dealer said it wasn't included in the kit.

Last edited by seebobgo; 09-13-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:31 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by old81
Mark,

Are those 12 updates on your dime or are the covered as warranty items?

Let us know after you take that long trip if you love it or hate it.

As Morbius stated, they are on their dime. The tech indeed pushes a button and went to work on another car.

So far, I LOVE IT. I drove from Charleston, SC to Tampa, FL and though the only playing around I did was on exit ramps and in town, I could feel the difference. I still really haven't gotten into it totally but it brought a HUGE SMILE to my face.

The best part???

Check this pic out....

Look at the mpg!!! Granted, in this pic, I had only driven 44.6 miles but my mileage stayed the same for an add'l 120 miles. (I was stuck in a construction zone and could only drive 50-55 mph.

The rest of the trip I was running 88-92mph and averaged 34-36 mpg.

The performance from what I can see so far is SUPERB. It's smooth, clean and sounds GREAT.

I can't wait to drive it around town and get to play.

Originally Posted by sequence
the 09s will have all the ecu updates mark has to wait for now. speaking of which, the first boat of 09s should've departed merry olde england here in the last couple of days.
Dude, CONGRATS... I know your delivery date was like Nov 11th (?) if I remember correctly. I'll bet your excited. It's getting close.

Originally Posted by seebobgo
Did your stage one kit come with a door sticker and a engine plaque? Mine was omitted and the dealer said it wasn't included in the kit.
Mine had the plaque on the valve cover but no door sticker.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Derosi
3rd Gear
JCW Auto Tuning Kit Impressions After 50 Miles

JCW Auto Tuning Kit Impressions After 50 Miles

I will attempt to keep this simple

Power - You can feel it in the seat of the pants but only from 4-6500 over the stock car. 1-4000 I do not feel any difference.

Sound - The exhaust has a nice hum but there is no popping or hissing like the R53. I am satisfied but not thrilled with the exhaust tone. The intake is a disappointment. I had the stock Airbox and a DDM Works Street Intake for a comparison. The DDM Works sounded great and bordered on loud. At wide open throttle people could hear you coming from an 1/8th mile away. The stock airbox was virtually silent. When I installed the Alta drop in filter it added a little bit of noise. The JCW Airbox is as quite as the stock one. I would have hoped like adding a mild exhaust they would have designed the airbox to have a mild sound from the diverter valve.

I am not sure if I feel any difference in the shifting pattern or steering feel but it would be nice when you receive the kit if they told you what the software does.

Because I already had the JCW Suspension and Grill and hood scoop I am glad I was able to add the tuning kit to balance out the car. One of the appealing things about having a JCW Car is the no hassle warranty stuff. I wish they would have made and intake like the one for the R53 where the flap opens above 4500 so you really hear the car come alive. I don't want to throw the ECU off by adding the DDM works intake or have any warranty issues so I guess I will just learn to live without any noise from my turbo.

Just to be clear the car feels faster. I will be doing some testing with my GTech later this evening. I ran my car with just the DDM intake with the GTECH running at California Speedway in the quarter mile and the way I have set it up it was accurate within a tenth and only off a maximum on 3 runs of 2 MPH. My best pass before was in 75 degree weather at the track was 14.8 and on the street was 14.85. I am confident the JCW Kit will pull the time down a tenth or two. Does anyone think a direct replacement K&N Style Filter rather than the stock paper one will add any diverter sound or intake noise. Does anyone have another idea to get some turbo noise out of the JCW Airbox. Would the new plastic tube on the JCW factory car that goes from the turbo to the airbox work on the JCW airbox and would it increase the sound of the turbo.

Last edited by Derosi; 09-13-2008 at 05:20 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-13-2008, 05:38 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Mark nice write up on your positive impressions of the your newly installed JCW Stage 1 kit and the MPG's look impressive from the pics you posted

Derosi it seems you are happy but not thrilled with yours though.But I would imagine it takes some time for the ECU to learn and most likely the power will be felt even more after you drive some more miles.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:42 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JCR1960
Mark nice write up on your positive impressions of the your newly installed JCW Stage 1 kit and the MPG's look impressive from the pics you posted

Derosi it seems you are happy but not thrilled with yours though.But I would imagine it takes some time for the ECU to learn and most likely the power will be felt even more after you drive some more miles.
Yes, I am THRILLED. For those of you are trying to get an idea of the difference, I'd seriously compare it to when you add a 15% pulley to a supercharged mini. It makes the car feel the way it should from the factory.

Derosi,

I'm wondering if you will get more power later. I noticed tonight I stepped on the gas (not punched it), it pulled HARD and I could feel the torque steer. (not major, just you could feel it pull)

One thing I want to clarify. I DID NOT install the JCW air intake. I kept the DDM intake.

The reason for this is because I LOVE the sound but more importantly, I can notch the DDM so my M7 crossbar fits.

Anyone want to buy a JCW cold air intake??

Mark

Old 09-13-2008, 06:46 PM
got.pho?
4th Gear
mark, let me ''borrow'' it!

and when do I get to test drive?

Last edited by got.pho?; 09-13-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:06 PM
samroberto
3rd Gear
YEah I wish there was a little more turbo noise. I'm exploring other options creatively, like a forge bov or something () .. Alta has a nice foam replacement filter that I'm going to try eventually, I bet that'll free up a little bit of sound. With the Alta boost tubes (thus getting rid of the IC muffler) there's a tad more, but the inlet tube shouldn't change anything. I added the JCW inlet tube and no difference in sound.
I did have the DDM and took it off not for ecu-dependant reasons, but more for mental JCW-completeness...
Though, the JCW intake felt slightly, slightly smoother and more responsive in power delivery. I know there's hardly a noticeable difference between most high-flow intakes and other higher-flowing intakes, but it did feel slightly different, more pleasantly, so I kept the JCW on there and will continue to keep it on.. I think adding a foam filter and bov for me will be fine
But like you said though... I've had to live without the very prominent whoosh of the DDM (open box) kind of intake. But then again, my windows down, the alta tubes and the jcw intake do add a nice little whistle..

Old 09-13-2008, 09:27 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Originally Posted by seebobgo
Mine came with the door sticker, valve cover spark plug sticker, and valve cover plaque. I placed the door sticker in the engine compartment, too many stickers in my door jam and do not want anymore.

BTW, to install the parts (minus JCW airbox, that went on my wife's MCS), took me an hour. Ratcheting tail pipe cutter got the stock unit out in nothing flat with no hassles (which would be the special service tool they list on the docs - available at harbor frieght for $60.00 and ample clearance without removing anything).

Old 09-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Derosi
3rd Gear
Before and after results

I ran my car completely stock Thursday night . Same place, same temp. same setup tonight with JCW.

Stock Best : 14.89 @ 92.3 2.34 60 ft

JCW Stage 1 Best 14.81 @ 93.1 2.31 60ft

I have 60 miles on the kit lets hope this thing gets faster.

Just for the record the slowest pass of all came with the JCW 15.4 @ 88.5. I felt the car physically stumble at about 75 MPH. Slowest stock pass was 15.1 @ 90.5. At Fontana a few months ago the car when stock had this same problem but much worse the car ran 15.8 @ 83MPH. The very next pass it ran 14.85 @ 92. Every once in a while the little Turbo just gives up or so it seems.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:44 PM
scorobin
Neutral
can some one please tell me what the stage 1 consists of and can you do it on a clubman thx

Old 09-14-2008, 03:02 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Originally Posted by scorobin
can some one please tell me what the stage 1 consists of and can you do it on a clubman thx
Well I think if you read this post start to finish, you will see the pictures of the kit and what it consists of. I also posted the factory docs that shows in detail the contents.

Yes it can be done to a clubman with a twist. Engine wise its a R56, but you have to have a different exhaust and I am unsure if that is available yet. I think it is since I have seen a couple JCW Clubman with full engine stuff in place.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:18 PM
seebobgo
2nd Gear
They fu__ed up my kit big time. They put the bagdes on the wrong sides, and omited all the stickers and engine plaque.. To add insult to injury, they replaced my Hawk pads back to those shi__y dust bombs and didn't even tell me. The tech. said they were the wrong pads as if they screwed up in Oxford. BTW, the plaque has a serial number on it and if it's lost...they may have to do heavy duty talking to get another. Friday was day three without any answers. I'm calling the service manager tomorrow morning and try to be a nice guy but not a push over either. What would you do?

Old 09-14-2008, 06:11 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
seebobgo,
I would be a raving lunatic if that happened to me especially after all of the money paid for the kit and installation!! But I digress and yes speak with the Service Manager and explain in detail what had occurred and I am sure they will correct what was done plus they should have told you BEFORE replacing the brake pads that YOU had installed.

Also make sure you write down the plaque serial number and/or take a picture of it to keep in your MCS folder should something occur down the road along with the paperwork for the JCW kit and installation.

Good luck and remain calm and keep us posted when you can.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:44 PM
emtrey
5th Gear
one of my friend's had the same problem. Since you "own" the kit they assigned to you, they should be able to order new parts and have installed them properly. May take a few days but a good parts mgr. can get this done.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:48 PM
H8w8in
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Derosi
I ran my car completely stock Thursday night . Same place, same temp. same setup tonight with JCW.

Stock Best : 14.89 @ 92.3 2.34 60 ft

JCW Stage 1 Best 14.81 @ 93.1 2.31 60ft

I have 60 miles on the kit lets hope this thing gets faster.

Just for the record the slowest pass of all came with the JCW 15.4 @ 88.5. I felt the car physically stumble at about 75 MPH. Slowest stock pass was 15.1 @ 90.5. At Fontana a few months ago the car when stock had this same problem but much worse the car ran 15.8 @ 83MPH. The very next pass it ran 14.85 @ 92. Every once in a while the little Turbo just gives up or so it seems.
That's kinda depressing. Spend $2400 for 8 hundreths of second. I was hoping for more. Step on it man! lol

Old 09-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Derosi
3rd Gear
I hope so too

I ran it again tonight. I hit the best 60 foot I have ever hit track or GTech 2.21 and ran 14.68 @ 92.8. I ran several times after that and my best was like last night 14.8. I guess we should not be disappointed because 18 horsepower in a 2700 pound car will only improve the quarter 2 tenths. I was hoping like many BMW products they underestimated the kit but it seems this time they did not. I still maintain it does feel faster but maybe we traded 0-4000 RPM for 4000-6000 RPM. It seems they may have just moved the power band and the 18 HP increase may only come at peak RPM. Does anyone know how the JCW airbox could be modified so you could hear the diverter without any chance of throwing off the tuning. I am afraid any opening of the box could change vacum a disrupt the MAF. I had a DDM intake and it sounded great but when I put the Stock Airbox in with the Alta panel filter it just felt smoother. I don't want to loose the smooth acceleration by messing with the airbox but I do want some sound back

Old 09-15-2008, 12:32 PM
seebobgo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by emtrey
one of my friend's had the same problem. Since you "own" the kit they assigned to you, they should be able to order new parts and have installed them properly. May take a few days but a good parts mgr. can get this done.
Turns out the plaque was in the glove box and he only switched the pads around because he said I put them in backwards. The problem was NO COMUNICATION! So, I'm happy now. Thanks all

Old 09-15-2008, 12:35 PM
seebobgo
2nd Gear
I ran it again tonight. I hit the best 60 foot I have ever hit track or GTech 2.21 and ran 14.68 @ 92.8. I ran several times after that and my best was like last night 14.8. I guess we should not be disappointed because 18 horsepower in a 2700 pound car will only improve the quarter 2 tenths. I was hoping like many BMW products they underestimated the kit but it seems this time they did not. I still maintain it does feel faster but maybe we traded 0-4000 RPM for 4000-6000 RPM. It seems they may have just moved the power band and the 18 HP increase may only come at peak RPM. Does anyone know how the JCW airbox could be modified so you could hear the diverter without any chance of throwing off the tuning. I am afraid any opening of the box could change vacum a disrupt the MAF. I had a DDM intake and it sounded great but when I put the Stock Airbox in with the Alta panel filter it just felt smoother. I don't want to loose the smooth acceleration by messing with the airbox but I do want some sound back
What are your shift points? I think shifting at 6000/6200 feels best...

Old 09-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Derosi
3rd Gear
fastest time

The one time of 14.68 that was a little faster than when the car was stock came with the sport button on / ASC Off left it in automatic mode.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:00 AM
seebobgo
2nd Gear
The one time of 14.68 that was a little faster than when the car was stock came with the sport button on / ASC Off left it in automatic mode.
Try some 6200 shifts and check back!

Quick Reply: JCW JCW kit for automatics NOW AVAILABLE!!!