JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Show us your JCW body kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 03:38 PM
davo_florida
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had a long weekend. so i got busy. did the install myself, so its not PERFECT, but its good enough for me. in the pics the color looks a shade off, but in person its pretty damn close, i think its the angle of the reflections.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:45 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by davo_florida
had a long weekend. so i got busy. did the install myself, so its not PERFECT, but its good enough for me. in the pics the color looks a shade off, but in person its pretty damn close, i think its the angle of the reflections.
Looks hot!

Old 07-06-2008, 05:01 PM
LarryParker
ClubRed
Thats a damn fine job you did, and a fine looking Mini too.

Larry

Old 07-06-2008, 05:30 PM
D Unit
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's sick Davo! What suspension are you running?

Old 07-06-2008, 06:39 PM
davo_florida
2nd Gear
thanks guys!

H&R's springs over stock non-sport... pretty good ride! even better after making the switch to non-runflats.

heres a question to those have done the install themselves: i didnt get the rear fog light option, and the kit didnt come with anything to fill the holes.. i tried the pieces from the stock bumper but they dont look (or fit) right... So i guess i have to buy the rear fog lights? i wish they had another option.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Coen_de_K
4th Gear
Just buy the rear fog lights and use them as a reflector... ?

I installed a few aero's but I live in holland.. we ALL have rear foglights...

luck!

Coen

LOOK HAWT BTW

Old 07-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Coen_de_K
4th Gear
Name:  edited_white_MINI_front_copy.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  61.0 KB

I know it's a photoshop... but I LOVE IT!!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 06:10 PM
jbcola
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dat word de volgende Coen??

I like too!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Hellion
3rd Gear
pretty much my JCW without the scoop of course

Old 07-07-2008, 09:34 PM
2007MiniMe
2nd Gear
ONE MORE

Heres mine, I'm not good with posting pics. but check out my gallery plus also I won 1st Place MODDED MCS at MINIS ON THE DRAGON 1st CAR SHOW

Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 PM
fongaroos
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Hellion
pretty much my JCW without the scoop of course
does the factory jcw have a different scoop?

Old 07-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Hellion
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fongaroos
does the factory jcw have a different scoop?
no I meant that the pic doesnt have one

Old 07-07-2008, 10:05 PM
fongaroos
2nd Gear
no I meant that the pic doesnt have one
ohh gotcha! thanks!

where can i get a full listing of everything that comes with the factory JCW upgrade? i checked the mini website but it wasnt very specific about the upgrades.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Hellion
3rd Gear
What do you mean by JCW upgrade? the body kit? or the factory mini JCW car

Old 07-08-2008, 02:34 PM
fongaroos
2nd Gear
What do you mean by JCW upgrade? the body kit? or the factory mini JCW car
i guess i need to explain a little more. im doing some research about which mini cooper to buy. ive decided that the R56 MCS would fit me pretty well. however, im also interested in the JCW package. however, the mini website is kind of confusing.

1) is the JCW a totally different car? kind of like a bmw 3-series v. an m3?

OR

2) is the JCW a standard R56 MCS but with a bunch of new bolt ons?

if the JCW is just a package with a bunch of bolt ons, then it might make sense for me to get a standard R56 MCS and then get the JCW parts that i want.

the reason i say this is because there are a few things i dont necessarily want/need from the JCW pacakge.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
There are two different ways you can 'JCW' your MCS. It's not that confusing if you read the site but I'll explain anyway. You can buy a MCS and then buy the JCW Tuning Kit. This kit consists of an ECU upgrade, slightly less restrictive exhaust and new airbox this amounts to an official HP figure of 189. Then you have the JCW car. This is a different car, yes kind of like a 3 series and an M3 except the JCW car isn't quite as comprehensive a package as an M car. With the factory JCW car you get even more aggressive ECU tuning, a full turbo back exhaust system, upgraded pistons, upgraded transmission, upgraded clutch, the airbox from the Stage 1 kit, anthracite headliner, new JCW door sills, speedo that goes to 160 instead of 140, your choice of piano black or fluid silver interior surface, shift **** with red numbering, 17" JCW Challenge wheels with Bridgestone performance runflats and 4 piston Brembo brakes in red with JCW logo. All this adds up to an official figure of 210hp. The engine in the JCW factory car is essentially the same engine as in the MINI Challenge race car. All the other accessories you see like the JCW aero kit and JCW suspension are extra and you'll need to pay extra if you want them. One way to tell the difference between a Cooper S with JCW tuning kit and a factory JCW car is if you stand behind the 'S' you'll see the Cooper S badge where it always is and the JCW badge on the opposite side of the boot, if you stand behind a factory JCW it will only have a JCW badge and that will be where the Cooper S is normally.

Hope all this is clear enough for you.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Oh sorry a couple more things, the JCW factory car also gets DTC(Dynamic Traction Control) and EDLC(Electronic Differential Lock Control). EDLC is an electronically controlled substitute for LSD which uses the new bigger brakes to apply force and help cornering under high speeds. According to preliminary reviews on motoringfile it works very well.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 PM
fongaroos
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mozza
There are two different ways you can 'JCW' your MCS. It's not that confusing if you read the site but I'll explain anyway. You can buy a MCS and then buy the JCW Tuning Kit. This kit consists of an ECU upgrade, slightly less restrictive exhaust and new airbox this amounts to an official HP figure of 189. Then you have the JCW car. This is a different car, yes kind of like a 3 series and an M3 except the JCW car isn't quite as comprehensive a package as an M car. With the factory JCW car you get even more aggressive ECU tuning, a full turbo back exhaust system, upgraded pistons, upgraded transmission, upgraded clutch, the airbox from the Stage 1 kit, anthracite headliner, new JCW door sills, speedo that goes to 160 instead of 140, your choice of piano black or fluid silver interior surface, shift **** with red numbering, 17" JCW Challenge wheels with Bridgestone performance runflats and 4 piston Brembo brakes in red with JCW logo. All this adds up to an official figure of 210hp. The engine in the JCW factory car is essentially the same engine as in the MINI Challenge race car. All the other accessories you see like the JCW aero kit and JCW suspension are extra and you'll need to pay extra if you want them. One way to tell the difference between a Cooper S with JCW tuning kit and a factory JCW car is if you stand behind the 'S' you'll see the Cooper S badge where it always is and the JCW badge on the opposite side of the boot, if you stand behind a factory JCW it will only have a JCW badge and that will be where the Cooper S is normally.

Hope all this is clear enough for you.

thanks so much! thats REALLY helpful!!! seems like the JCW tuning kit is not really worth it considering the marginal gains. the factory JCW MCS seems like a more significant increase. but im sure the prices will reflect the difference in gains.

there was a number floating around something like $2100... im guessing that is just for the JCW stage 1 tuning kit. is that correct?

Old 07-08-2008, 04:52 PM
fongaroos
2nd Gear
Oh sorry a couple more things, the JCW factory car also gets DTC(Dynamic Traction Control) and EDLC(Electronic Differential Lock Control). EDLC is an electronically controlled substitute for LSD which uses the new bigger brakes to apply force and help cornering under high speeds. According to preliminary reviews on motoringfile it works very well.
man... that sounds like the factory JCW MCS is a completely different car!

Old 07-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Yep it is. Going to be a ton of fun! As for the $2100, yep that's just for the tuning kit. The regular MCS starts at 21,850 the JCW starts at 29,200. It's a significant price increase but you're getting significantly more car.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:07 PM
fongaroos
2nd Gear
Yep it is. Going to be a ton of fun! As for the $2100, yep that's just for the tuning kit. The regular MCS starts at 21,850 the JCW starts at 29,200. It's a significant price increase but you're getting significantly more car.

thanks so much! that was really helpful. i will have to consider the JCW MCS as an option. but dang... 29 starting is a pretty steep figure!!!

im new to the forums so i havnt had much time to research. but is there speculation that because of the upgraded internals and drivetrain of the JCW MCS will yield better performance in terms of future performance upgrades? in other words, im guessing that its just a stronger engine and may be able to withstand higher boost (which may translate into higher hp/tq)?

Old 07-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
That's exactly correct. The engineers at MINI decided that the regular Cooper S engine wasn't equipped to handle 210+bhp over an extended period of time therefore they beefed everything up. This means that it's not only a beast straight out of the box but it's also a far stronger platform on which to put any future planned aftermarket upgrades like a bigger turbo for instance. Oh by the way I forgot to say in my initial post that the JCW car also has a modified turbo (bigger internally) than the standard MCS.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Apologies for hijacking the thread by the way.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:17 PM
fongaroos
2nd Gear
That's exactly correct. The engineers at MINI decided that the regular Cooper S engine wasn't equipped to handle 210+bhp over an extended period of time therefore they beefed everything up. This means that it's not only a beast straight out of the box but it's also a far stronger platform on which to put any future planned aftermarket upgrades like a bigger turbo for instance. Oh by the way I forgot to say in my initial post that the JCW car also has a modified turbo (bigger internally) than the standard MCS.
man... thats crazy. after all this, it seems like the 29k price tag is NOT unreasonable at all. if you're going to buy the car and just leave it as is, this is a quick way to get a bunch of mods and upgrades done AND protected by warranty.

however, im thinking that the standard MCS is a great starting platform and after 8-9k of mods, youd probably have something very comparable (hopefully better) than a JCW MCS but without warranty protection.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:19 PM
fongaroos
2nd Gear
Apologies for hijacking the thread by the way.
yah... apologies to the original poster!

Quick Reply: JCW Show us your JCW body kit