JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW JCW drilled rotors... if so, what pads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 06:09 PM
z3bum
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW drilled rotors... if so, what pads?

So the new MINI is feeling neglected, ie, not being driven enough and not getting enough "gifts"... I like the idea of the drilled rotors and so thinking about doing the JCW ones since they are probably very good quality (BMW does not mess around with brakes) I would be installing the rotors more for appearance, but also thinking about doing more dust free pads. So, what do you all think, do the rotors look good, and what pads would work well?
Thanks for the opinions!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:15 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Rotors look hawt for sure, but I'd say just pop some extra coin and get the whole JCW brake upgrade kit. Then you'll have those sexy *** JCW calipers too!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Interludio44
2nd Gear
Old 02-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since the brakes on the R56 MCS are the JCW upgrade from previous years, what benefit do the JCW brakes provide other than drilled holes? Aren't there better thrid-party brake upgrades?

I've heard a lot of good things about Hawk pads, but last I heard they wont be ready for the R56 until spring or summer.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:47 AM
jthorst75
3rd Gear
save your money and just paint your calipers, i don't see the difference. as far as pads i went with ebc greenstuff. they say less dust but i have been cleaning my rims as much as the factory pads.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:33 PM
johne123
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Unless you just want bling, the R56 brakes are more than adequate for everything short of heavy left footers on a "hard on brakes" track. More brake caliper pistons generally don't get you shorter stopping distance anyway. They prevent fade and offer more consistent braking.

Drilled rotors and even slotted rotors make so little difference they're not worth it either, IMHO.

Robin, front Hawk pads are available in the HP+ compound. Hawk is listing them as the same pad shape as the '06 JCW MCS. While the R56 caliper may be slightly different, Hawk feels the pad shape is close enough. They also did this for A2 Volkswagens which uses a slightly smaller and thinner pad than the Corrado, but Hawk only makes the smaller pad. Still works great. The video I have of a friend choking against his harensses in my Corrado at Gingerman Raceway in Michigan can attest to that.

The HP+ compound is great but can be a little noisy at times and is certainly not a low dust pad. However, I'm not sure if it's less or the same dust as the OE Mini brake pad.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by johne123
Robin, front Hawk pads are available in the HP+ compound. Hawk is listing them as the same pad shape as the '06 JCW MCS. While the R56 caliper may be slightly different, Hawk feels the pad shape is close enough. They also did this for A2 Volkswagens which uses a slightly smaller and thinner pad than the Corrado, but Hawk only makes the smaller pad. Still works great. The video I have of a friend choking against his harensses in my Corrado at Gingerman Raceway in Michigan can attest to that.

The HP+ compound is great but can be a little noisy at times and is certainly not a low dust pad. However, I'm not sure if it's less or the same dust as the OE Mini brake pad.
That doesn't sound very appealing. I was thinking of their ceramic pads.

From Tire Rack:

Key Features & Benefits of Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads
  • Ultra-low dust
  • Improved braking over O.E.
  • Stable friction output
  • Extremely quiet
  • Extended pad life
  • Increased rotor life

Old 02-22-2008, 07:16 PM
robrob
2nd Gear
The drilled rotors look better than stock, but they're actually weaker and more prone to crack than stock rotors. If you don't track the car then get the cool looking drilled/slotted rotors and stick with the stock brake pads--there's no real reason to upgrade them.

Rob Robinette

Old 02-22-2008, 08:02 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
no real reason to get drilled rotors or new pads. mini already has pretty damn good brakes from the get go.

though if you insist on treating your car with some "gifts", then might i suggest a clearbra on the bumpers, side mirrors, and hood. or maybe a shorter antenna and some new suede boots for the ebrake & shifter. or a live cougar in the back seat.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Lateral G
2nd Gear
I got both soft pedal and pad fade at Buttonwillow, a fast but fairly flat track running a fully stock setup. I've been on other tracks that are much harder on brakes. Laguna Seca eats brakes compared to Buttonwillow. IMHO, high temp fluid and high temp pads are a must for tracking the R56 MCS. I've yet to stress them on public roads, despite frequent driving on mountain roads.

I won't use drilled rotors after getting cracks in drilled rotors on my E30 M3. If you feel compelled to go with drilled rotors, be sure the holes are chamfered to reduce the risk of cracking, and check your rotors frequently. The only performance benefit of drilling is to reduce pad fade, and to reduce unsprung weight if you drill the heck out of them. The risk of cracking and increased risk of warping aren't worth it. High temp pads, slotting, ducting and big brakes are all better solutions.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Lateral G
2nd Gear
Also ... an R56 owner who's a HPDE (track school) instructor with the BMW CCA recommended Carbotech. I'm not familiar with them, and at the moment their website is non-responsive.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:58 PM
robrob
2nd Gear
I run Carbotech XP8/XP10 pads on my track only S2000 and they are very good high temp brakes. But the original poster didn't say anything about HPDE's or tracking. For the street drilled rotors are just fine and they look cool, but you really can't beat the stock pads for street use.