JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Kit is in!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 09:47 PM
carman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IS IT WORTH THE MONEY? TELL ME TELL ME

Old 06-12-2003, 06:26 AM
CooperSdriver
3rd Gear
I enjoyed it alot. You definitely feel the midrange power. and the car does get a little louder but I still think that they did a great job with it. On the highway I felt as is I was in a lower gear the whole time, its just to much fun. It is a very fun car.

Old 06-12-2003, 06:28 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
>> ... no brakes ... (read Randy's thread about that oversite!) ...

5 million dollars and NO BRAKES ???????
for that kind of Scratch ($$$) you think they would upgrade the brakes
you can go really fast, but you can't stop it

Old 06-12-2003, 06:38 AM
CooperSdriver
3rd Gear
I understand what you are saying, but I really don't feel the need for the brake upgrade, even though it would be nice to have. I would definitely have a brake upgrade kit if it were my car.

Old 06-12-2003, 06:50 AM
gmack
3rd Gear

>>
>>sweet so that means i can get a pulley for my MINI and still be under warranty!!!

I thought I read that the entire blower was replaced with one that had ceramic coating on key parts for better sealing and heat disipation. $4500 would seem realy steep for just a pulley, head,ecu and exhaust wouldn't it ??

Old 06-12-2003, 09:24 AM
SCA
3rd Gear
>>>> ... no brakes ... (read Randy's thread about that oversite!) ...
>>
>>5 million dollars and NO BRAKES ???????
>>for that kind of Scratch ($$$) you think they would upgrade the brakes
>>you can go really fast, but you can't stop it
>>
>>_________________

So you're going 100 mph in the stock S or 100 mph in the JCW S. And you have to stop quickly. Why does the JCW S suddenly need a brake upgrade? Does it not stop as fast as the stock S? Is it heavier or something?? Please help me understand.

Not that I'm against a brake upgrade in EITHER case, but why is it so much more important for the JCW S?

Old 06-12-2003, 09:27 AM
SCA
3rd Gear
>>
>>>>
>>>>sweet so that means i can get a pulley for my MINI and still be under warranty!!!
>>
>>I thought I read that the entire blower was replaced with one that had ceramic coating on key parts for better sealing and heat disipation. $4500 would seem realy steep for just a pulley, head,ecu and exhaust wouldn't it ??
>>

Yes, it is an entirely new blower, with a different coating on the vanes to reduce leakage and improve boost. Has a smaller pulley too but not sure if it is the 15% reduction that other pulleys are.

Old 06-12-2003, 09:28 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I think the point of the brake comment is this:

the JCW kit only addresses the engine. It doesn't make any changes to the springs, shocks, swaybars, brakes, wheels, or tires. There isn't a limited slip either.

Old 06-12-2003, 09:32 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
_______>>
>>So you're going 100 mph in the stock S or 100 mph in the JCW S. And you have to stop quickly. Why does the JCW S suddenly need a brake upgrade? Does it not stop as fast as the stock S? Is it heavier or something?? Please help me understand.
>>
>>Not that I'm against a brake upgrade in EITHER case, but why is it so much more important for the JCW S?

i see your point and you are correct,
which is why a brake upgrade is on my to-do list (i drive too fast)
but for the $$$$ i think a little extra stopping power would be nice, it would also justfiy the price alittle, other then saying that the JCW kit is covered by warrety
just my opion

Old 06-12-2003, 09:32 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>>So you're going 100 mph in the stock S or 100 mph in the JCW S. And you have to stop quickly. Why does the JCW S suddenly need a brake upgrade? Does it not stop as fast as the stock S? Is it heavier or something?? Please help me understand.

Hmmm...interesting questions...

I think better brakes comes from a racing mentality. Say you have a straightaway between two very sharp corners. You take the MCS down it at WOT and you get to 70 MPH and then have top brake hard for the corner. All's OK, but just barely. Now you have the MCS-JCW barreling down that same straighaway at 100 MPH (due to more HP/torque), those same brakes that barely slowed you down enough to make that sharp corner with a stock MCS are not going to be enough to slow you down from 100MPH. See?

Old 06-12-2003, 09:36 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes, it is an entirely new blower, with a different coating on the vanes to reduce leakage and improve boost. Has a smaller pulley too but not sure if it is the 15% reduction that other pulleys are.
Well, it is new, but it isn't different.

The Stock Cooper S has a 5th generation M45 Eaton supercharger and has a ceramic coating.

The JCW supercharger is effectively ONLY a reduction pulley

Old 06-12-2003, 09:56 AM
SCA
3rd Gear
>>
>>>>So you're going 100 mph in the stock S or 100 mph in the JCW S. And you have to stop quickly. Why does the JCW S suddenly need a brake upgrade? Does it not stop as fast as the stock S? Is it heavier or something?? Please help me understand.
>>
>>Hmmm...interesting questions...
>>
>>I think better brakes comes from a racing mentality. Say you have a straightaway between two very sharp corners. You take the MCS down it at WOT and you get to 70 MPH and then have top brake hard for the corner. All's OK, but just barely. Now you have the MCS-JCW barreling down that same straighaway at 100 MPH (due to more HP/torque), those same brakes that barely slowed you down enough to make that sharp corner with a stock MCS are not going to be enough to slow you down from 100MPH. See?

Good answer, and you have a point there with that example. No doubt it would be nice to get a brake upgrade as part of the kit for the same price, but unfortunately it ain't happenin'!

Old 06-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Diggy
2nd Gear
OK, got mine back today, drove it 40-50 miles, car only has 277mi on it so not WFO until break-in. I also have LS header, still waiting on Madness airbox, big TB. H-sport springs, madness bar, 215/45 ES100's, SSR Comps are on.

In a word, AMAZING. It'll leave a stop sign at idle, no bog, no nothing. Midrange is fat, I ran stock MCS(broken in) and left 'em in 2nd, waay back in 3rd, despite not pounding it too hard for break in. I also looked at Gen 5 blower next to my works, and they are different coatings, the Works is darker, looks, feels different. Magic dust? WFK I think Randy's packages are great, and well priced, as are some others, but if you can afford it, do it.

I put 7k miles on my old MCS, and never used up the brakes. If you track it, you may need more, but I'd swap pads 1st, rotors too before whining about stock brakes. Nurburgring testing thought they were okay, or BMW/Mini would have done something.

Gonna be hard to be good for another 923miles of break in.

Old 06-12-2003, 06:46 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
THE JCW Kit NEEDS a BRAKE UPGRADE.... The Stock Brakes are fit to the engine spec.... not the JCW spec.

Look at the Infinity G35-(basically the slick 350Z) - It has Stock Brembos....Good Move

Old 06-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Diggy
2nd Gear
Ummm, Mini tested the JCW at the 'Ring for 80,000km. Thats why you have the overpriced warranty, laps ain't cheap. Again, they used stock brakes, did not see problem with them, or they would change them. Same deal with M cars...I have a 32k mile M5 finishing third set of tires, original pads/rotors. I put 230 miles on it today at or above 100, and no brake fade. Same trip in next couple days with works, and I expect same.
Be like me...don't use brakes!

Old 06-12-2003, 06:57 PM
Hank
4th Gear
CooperSdriver, what dealership are you associated with?

Engineering wise the brakes on the car are more than adequate even with the engine upgrade. The only time you will ever need beefier brakes is if you take it out on the track.

Old 06-12-2003, 07:54 PM
Daytona955i
4th Gear
Sure the brakes will stop eventually but they are way too mushy for me.

SS lines, new pads, slotted rotors and new fluid are on my list of upgrades and all I have is the 15% reduction pulley. (more planned as budget allows)

When I need to stop I want to *STOP*... not slow down to a stop. The stock brakes are mushy and on par for most stock cars. But from a performance standpoint (something the JCW package is supposed to be) I want better brakes.
-Chris

Old 06-12-2003, 08:07 PM
gosharks
4th Gear
I saw the JCW kit at MINI of Mt. View (California) today. $4500 plus $1700 installation! They were trying to justify the cost saying that a supercharger for a Honda from Jackson Racing would cost you $5k to install. I said "whatever and added, when you start adding this kind of money to a loaded MCS, you are in the same league moneywise as a 350Z." Not my cup of tea because I love my MCS, but this is only a good alternative to those with ample means and budget for cars. I am going the MINI Motorsports direction and the money saved can help go for brake pads, rotors, and even upgraded tires when needed. For those going for it, you are going to get a great package with the peace of mind of maintaining your warranty. You will truly have something we will all be a bit envious for.

I asked if they would sell the exhaust seperately and they said they would not. Nice looking unit, I wish I could figure out who makes this system for JCW.

Old 06-12-2003, 08:53 PM
Diggy
2nd Gear
Sharks, I heard that they may offer the exhaust later. It sounds great, I had the owner of the dealer drive by while on it pretty hard...growls, no resonance I have found yet. One clamp may be a problem, but nada so far.

Old 06-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Sleepless
3rd Gear
>>Sure the brakes will stop eventually but they are way too mushy for me.
>>
>>SS lines, new pads, slotted rotors and new fluid are on my list of upgrades and all I have is the 15% reduction pulley. (more planned as budget allows)
>>

The MCS brakes feel pretty much the same with all those mods...

Old 06-13-2003, 07:19 PM
Daytona955i
4th Gear
>>>>Sure the brakes will stop eventually but they are way too mushy for me.
>>>>
>>>>SS lines, new pads, slotted rotors and new fluid are on my list of upgrades and all I have is the 15% reduction pulley. (more planned as budget allows)
>>>>
>>
>>The MCS brakes feel pretty much the same with all those mods...

I really doubt that as what brake pads you choose make a HUGE difference. I agree that there is some debate over SS Lines but I've noticed a difference in my motorcycles so I hope to see similar differences in my car. Maybe you drive with wooden blocks on your feet.
-Chris

Old 06-14-2003, 07:43 AM
OpusMini
4th Gear
I don't know what the uproar over the lack of a break upgrade is about. I mean, I'm sure that everyone who put the pulley on their car immediately put an upgraded brake package on too, right?

It almost sounds like any mechanic letting a pulley'd Mini out of the shop without upgraded brakes is committing an act of grave irresponsibility, possibly even malfeasance. Shouldn't aftermarket suppliers require proof of an upgraded brake package before even selling a pulley to a customer?

At least, there should be a disclaimer so that the customer realizes that they're driving a car that only has 10.9" ventilated front disc brakes, usually sitting on 17" rims with 7" wide tires to stop a 2,700 lb hatcback.

Come on, guys. It would be nice if Mini built the perfect high performance car, but then what would there be left for people to upgrade and talk about?

The only area where I get the sense that Mini really missed the ball was not including a limited slip. All the reports from the track seem to indicate that it was a glaring omission.