Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Factory Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Jonathan
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am waiting on my 2003 Mini Cooper S. It should arrive next week. It is currently "En Route." I can't wait!! I am thinking about having the factor alarm installed. I was wondering the alarm features were. Does it make the lights blink when you unlock/lock the car? Is it worth it? What sets it off? Does it add an LED inside the car? Let me know any thoughts you have. I wanted to get it because the car is going to be in a populated area and I thought it was a good idea to get, since the cars are kindof rare. Thanks for your help.

Jonathan

Old 05-07-2003, 06:35 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
>>I am waiting on my 2003 Mini Cooper S. It should arrive next week. It is currently "En Route." I can't wait!! I am thinking about having the factor alarm installed. I was wondering the alarm features were.

>>Does it make the lights blink when you unlock/lock the car? YES..
>>Is it worth it? Depends on what you want.....
>>What sets it off? Movement inside the car, it also has a tilt sensor, standard stuff...
>> Does it add an LED inside the car? Yes, on the end of the wiper arm.
>>Let me know any thoughts you have. I wanted to get it because the car is going to be in a populated area and I thought it was a good idea to get, since the cars are kindof rare. Thanks for your help. I live in an area that is out of the city but still wanted it when I park ing the city. I think it was worth the price...peace of mind.

Mini-Rolls

Old 05-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Nomonstersinme
5th Gear
i have the factory alarm system on my 2002 cooper. its not worth the price they charge. its kind of a pain in the ***. if the car is unlocked and remains idle for over like i dunno a minute the alarm goes back and if you try to do anything the alarm goes off and then you have to shut everything press lock and then press unlock. i paid $500 for it... and $500 too many i think. if having it programmed into the keys is what you want you can get it from any aftermarket place.<<< for much less $$$

Old 05-10-2003, 09:01 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
>>if the car is unlocked and remains idle for over like i dunno a minute the alarm goes back and if you try to do anything the alarm goes off and then you have to shut everything press lock and then press unlock.

So you're saying if I pull up to my house, shut off the car, go inside for more than a minute, when I come back out the alarm will be armed? All by itself?

Sorry, I'm not buying it. I don't have my car yet but I'd wonder why everyone with an alarm wasn't screaming about this if it worked this way.

Old 05-10-2003, 10:01 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
I park my car in the garage every night and do not set the alarm. It has never armed itself, has never gone off unless it was set off. I think the alarm is great. If you think you need it then buy it.

Mine gives me peace of mind, not a headache.....

Old 05-11-2003, 11:05 AM
fms
5th Gear
I had an aftermarket alarm (recommended by my motoring advisor!) installed for $299- called the Pursuit, made by Audiovox. It works off the MINI remote, the key or the automatic door lock, and it's easily disarmed when I need it to be. When it's armed it has a blinking LED just the the left of the wheel, on front of the dash. It's not too sensitive, and at half the price of the factory alarm, I feel I've more than gotten my money's worth.

Old 05-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Nomonstersinme
5th Gear

>>So you're saying if I pull up to my house, shut off the car, go inside for more than a minute, when I come back out the alarm will be armed? All by itself?

yeah. armed doesnt mean that the alarm starts going off.. it just means that its engaged and if you try to do anything the alarm goes off... its a safety feature, incase you forget to lock your car. my dads honda has it too but with his you dont have to shut all the doors and press lock and then unlock.. you just have to press unlock.

>>Sorry, I'm not buying it. I don't have my car yet but I'd wonder why everyone with an alarm wasn't screaming about this if it worked this way.

well i dont need to prove it to you... i know my alarm system. im used to it so i dont really scream about it.. but when i had to have it repaired the guys all told me how annoying it was and how they couldnt figure out for a while how to turn the alarm off.

Old 05-11-2003, 03:24 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it was worth the price...peace of mind.
>>
I agree with this. For me the alarm has worked fine...fairly standard. An after market alarm may save you some money, but I wanted mine installed and working the minute I drove off the lot. Also, my life does not allow me the time to search out relative benefits and compatibility of various systems...but if the motoring advisor gave me a direct, THAT would get my attention. Overall though, I'd do it again. (BTW, if the car is parked with the windows down, someone walking past the car will set off my alarm...the motion sensors kick in. That was new to me.)

Old 05-11-2003, 04:41 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
>>
>>>>So you're saying if I pull up to my house, shut off the car, go inside for more than a minute, when I come back out the alarm will be armed? All by itself?
>>
>>yeah. armed doesnt mean that the alarm starts going off..

I realize this. I just can't imagine the alarm arming itself without you telling it to (with the key fob).

>>>>Sorry, I'm not buying it. I don't have my car yet but I'd wonder why everyone with an alarm wasn't screaming about this if it worked this way.
>>
>>well i dont need to prove it to you... i know my alarm system.

No problem - you're right - you need prove nothing to me. However, the above post from mini-rolls would indicate that maybe yours is malfunctioning or at least could be changed to work differently. Have you ever asked the techs at your dealership about it?

Old 05-12-2003, 08:22 PM
dkstone
4th Gear
The factory alarm for the 03's are real easy to install, its not worth the $700 plus that the dealers are asking. I order the kit from the parts department of my dealer for $327, it took me about one hour to install the four components that make up the kit. I then had the alarm activated by the dealer for the cost of half hour labor charge. Hell if you get lucky like I did the mechanic may not charge the half hour since it really takes about 2 minutes to activate.

Old 05-13-2003, 04:47 AM
rocketpop
3rd Gear
I also did my alarm myself. I ordered mine from Classic MINI and they shipped it out to my for $308. Dealer charged me $45 to recode.

Old 05-13-2003, 06:07 AM
Nomonstersinme
5th Gear

>>No problem - you're right - you need prove nothing to me. However, the above post from mini-rolls would indicate that maybe yours is malfunctioning or at least could be changed to work differently. Have you ever asked the techs at your dealership about it?

well mine is 2002, i dont have the motion sensor thing. my dads works similar so i dont think there is anything wrong with it. its just really particular about how long you have until you have to turn the car on. my old car was actually the same.. but it had a much longer idle time so it was never annoying. the only thing that annoys me about the mini alarm system is having to close everything, press lock and then press unlock. usually you just have to press unlock.

Old 05-13-2003, 06:06 PM
dkstone
4th Gear
The 03 factory alarm does not activate by its self you must use the key controls to activate the alarm.

Old 05-13-2003, 06:18 PM
Nobull60
6th Gear
2002 Factory installed...Love it. Glad I did it. Works real good.

Old 05-13-2003, 10:03 PM
DuckyPie713
Neutral
I asked my dealer about aftermarket alarms the other day b/c the caddy across the street got stolen friday (gotta love the neighborhood)... they told me I couldn't put in an aftermarket alarm. It would void the warranty. They also mentioned I couldn't upgrade the radio either!!! Anybody know if this is true??? I noticed the aftermarket alarm above, and were you referred to it by the dealer??? I'm so confused now!!!

Old 05-14-2003, 05:12 AM
scooterboy
6th Gear
>>I asked my dealer about aftermarket alarms the other day b/c the caddy across the street got stolen friday (gotta love the neighborhood)... they told me I couldn't put in an aftermarket alarm. It would void the warranty. They also mentioned I couldn't upgrade the radio either!!! Anybody know if this is true??? I noticed the aftermarket alarm above, and were you referred to it by the dealer??? I'm so confused now!!!

Your dealer's talking out of the wrong orifice. Installing either of those items wouldn't void the warrantee unless they were done so in a way that interfered with or damaged the car's normal systems.