Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior R56 roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 AM
going4speed
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
roof rack for sale

I have the mini roof rack for sale in Houston. $70 and its yours. never put anything on it. Did have to replace a brass bolt with a stainless washer and nut as detailed in this thread.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 PM
oryx
2nd Gear
very interested in the roof rack.

PM sent.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:42 PM
oryx
2nd Gear
snowboard rack?

Getting the OEM roof rack for the R56 and need to decide on a snowboard rack!

Anyone have pics or experience with either the Yakima Fatcat 6 or Thule Flattop 6 with the MINI roof rack? The info I've seen for the most recent ones say that they have universal mounting brackets, so interested in any feedback.

Didn't know what to expect with the Mini as a mountain car since this is our first season living where we could even go skiing, but I'm sold on how great the cooper is as a mtn commuting car. We get lots of great comments on the car every time we go. It has done great on the snow (with the help of Blizzaks) and now can't wait to invest in a rack!

Old 02-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Throw some snow tires on the Mini (Blizzak) and you will be unstoppable. I have driven to and form VT in some crazy snow.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:37 AM
MINIxB
6th Gear
I was going to put my roof rack on today but I just noticed I've lost the tools for it.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:18 AM
oryx
2nd Gear
missing parts

Originally Posted by MINIxB
I was going to put my roof rack on today but I just noticed I've lost the tools for it.
You can find the missing tool part #s here and here. Mine is missing the torque wrench and I found the part # and ordered from Classic Mini.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:07 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Found it:

Name:  minirack.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  50.6 KB

Old 03-05-2011, 09:24 PM
oryx
2nd Gear
snowboard rack

for anyone that is interested, I ended up getting the yakima fatcat 6. I haven't mounted the roof rack to the coop yet (waiting to receive the magical mini torque wrench), BUT we tested fitted the yakima rack on the crossbars off the car.

the fatcat 6 looks really good on the bars and takes up the entire rack. nice low profile, hopefully not too much wind noise. i will try to post a pic when i get the whole thing finally the top of the cooper.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:13 PM
oryx
2nd Gear
what a pain to install! Since i purchased this used from going4speed and it was missing the torque wrench, i ordered the replacement one from mini. However, it is missing the dang socket bit on the end so the torque wrench was a completely useless purchase.

Ended up using a socket wrench and pliers to install this (keeping the metal pieces down and getting the brass nut groove to push it down was a PAIN!). Hand-tightened, since we didn't have a torque wrench that does 6N-m.

So if you are missing some parts to install, don't fret, you can figure it out. Drove around with it today and it didn't fall off, so I guess we did ok.

Installed the yakima fatcat 6 tonight... looks sharp IMO. Will test that out with the snowboards at the mtn this weekend, and then on our big trip up to Whistler for spring break.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:24 PM
pauldo
1st Gear
Soo, I installed my rack today - factory rack - but I feel like something isn't right. Any locals care to meet up and give it a once over? I can snap some photos tomorrow so y'all can have a look.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:28 PM
minimal70700
Neutral
bike tray

hello everyone,

does anyone knows wich bike attachements or tray will fit the oem roof rack of a 2010 mini cooper s??

thule, yakima, rocky mountain??? maybe the thule 513 domestique??

i want a fork mount

thanks in advance

Old 04-05-2011, 02:36 PM
pauldo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minimal70700
hello everyone,

does anyone knows wich bike attachements or tray will fit the oem roof rack of a 2010 mini cooper s??

i want a fork mount

thanks in advance
Well I can tell you for sure that the Yakima Forklift(my current rack) is too long, same thing goes for the MINI factory fork mounted bike rack.

Personally, I'm resigned to having to remove/replace my bike rack as needed.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:56 PM
MINIskier
Neutral
Originally Posted by minimal70700
hello everyone,

i want a fork mount

thanks in advance
Rockymount Euro-Pitchfork, you will have to cut 2-4cm off of tray to clear spoiler when the hatch is opened. I cut 2 cm off to fit my Justa with an S you may have to cut off more. I ride relativly small bikes (54 cm road, medium FS Mtn) so this does not result in a fit problem for my bikes. A 29r or full suspension with long wheelbase may not fit.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:58 PM
minimal70700
Neutral
thanks pauldo,

maybe you just can trim an inch or so of the forklift so it wouldn't be that long

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...installed.html

these are some thules installed with the oem roof rack, but i dont know wich part number they are....anyone??

Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Autoxser1975
2nd Gear
Can somebody take a couple close up pics of the Mini fork mount bike carrier. I'd like to order one but I want to see how it attaches first.
Thanks

Old 04-10-2011, 04:54 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AARGGGHHH! Ran out of sunlight and patience trying to put my MINI factory base rack on today. What a pain in the a$$ compared to the Thule's and Yak's. I followed the old instructions here saying that the "directional stamp" on the bars that indicates passenger side should really be on the driver's side, and my front driver's side wouldn't go in as deep as the passenger side. Has this been corrected on later racks?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:03 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Two days, two hours or so total, and I give up on putting the OEM rack on myself. I think I'm pretty handy, have worked on cars/motorcycles/bicycles, etc for many years, and there's something here I'm just missing. Finding the slots was the easy part, but I just can't get the "teeth" on both sides to insert far enough at the same time, and the whole tightening procedure with the pressdown tool is maddening.
Tonight, I'm supposed to meet up with a (former) BMW/MINI tech who has put on a few. He tells me it's really a two person job which he will show me as we put it on. You people claiming here this is a five minute job are geniuses!

Old 04-13-2011, 06:10 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
I got my OEM base rack on last night, helping the ex-MINI tech who said it was the fourth one he'd installed. I still think it's a MAJOR pain compared to the Thule's and Yak's, but with his experience, it took around 30 minutes to install.
He told me over the phone it was really a two person job and that's how it went down. He would push, hold, and squeeze the jaws together on each foot while I got the tightening nut started. Once they were all started, it was easy to go around the car torqueing them down the rest of the way. After the ordeal I had, I doubt I will be taking it off and on the car much. Next up is adapting my new Rockymount trays to fit it. I'm getting some adaptor hardware from them to fit the oval bars, but suspect I'm going to end up drilling the trays and directly bolting them to the bars because of hatch clearance issues. Will post a pic once it's all done.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:52 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Done.

Attached Thumbnails R56 roof rack-img_0318.jpg  
Old 04-15-2011, 06:10 PM
MINIskier
Neutral
Originally Posted by mtbscott
Done.
I like to see Carbon Fibre used for for something useful, light bike frames.

Having sold and installed both Yakima and Thule racks I do think that the OEM rack is a pain to install the first time, but it is a better fit and can carry more weight.

Not liking the look of the universal fit of the Thule ski rack I modified mine to fit the OEM rack.

Attached Thumbnails R56 roof rack-imag0067.jpg   R56 roof rack-imag0066.jpg   R56 roof rack-imag0064.jpg  
Old 09-27-2011, 01:15 AM
googoogaga
Neutral
Hi guys,

I've finally put on the racks after about 2 hours
I'm having problems understanding how to get the two arrows to match up on the 6N-M thingo. I've tightened it pretty tight, i dont want to over tighten as per the guide, but i still can't get the arrows to match. What is torquing?
I'm also getting some whistling when i get to around 70km/h from the left hand side.

Last edited by googoogaga; 09-27-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:51 PM
alex123
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by going4speed
I read the instructions yesterday and it said to back off the nut till it stops. Well it did not stop and ended up striping out. This is also not a service part. Your rack looks different, mine had a slot on the end of the stud that was used to damage the thread to make a stop. I would not be able to remove the nuts on mine without striping them out.

Just something to watch out for with people doing this out there.

I ended up getting stainless steel parts to replace the brass.
do you by any chance remember the nut size when you were replacing yours? i stripped two brass nuts using "your" installation technique. i am reluctant to go with steel nuts - i'd prefer the nut to be the weakest part in this assembly. thx

Old 10-11-2011, 03:16 PM
MINIskier
Neutral
Originally Posted by CWicK
Yea, mine had a stop in the bolt thread that ended up stripping the brass nut as well. We found the thread on mine to be M6x1.0

So for those that ever run into this problem a stainless steel M6x1.0 Nut and Washer combo should be perfect. Make sure you re-thread or file the bolt thread so that you dont strip the new nut!

I wouldn't worry about using stainless instead of brass, I don't think that you want this nut to fail. Brass was probably used because it is easy to machine.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:26 PM
alex123
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIskier
I wouldn't worry about using stainless instead of brass, I don't think that you want this nut to fail. Brass was probably used because it is easy to machine.
ahhh, that's what prob happen to my brass nuts - the bolt stop stripped the thread (i take the nuts off all the way). and the bolt stop didn't allow me to put M6-1 nuts on. will try the filing method over the weekend!

Old 10-23-2011, 12:39 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Just got a good deal on two OEM fork mount bike holders. I'll post pictures once I pick them up and get them on. Just worried my bike won't fit. :(

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior R56 roof rack