Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Need help - Has anyone here installed a "karl" hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Hammer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help - Has anyone here installed a "karl" hitch?

I purchased a used "Karl" hitch from another NAM member. If you have a karl hitch you know what it is, if not - you can't help me . Others have installed these, so please speak up - how did you drill the holes in the rear box beam with the battery box blocking the way?

Also, can anyone answer this question - is there is difference in the '05 rear bumper from pre-05? When I removed the rear bumper cover there was a piece welded to the bumper that secures the bottom of the bumper cover, just to the right of the exhaust tips. This piece is directly in the way of one of the mounting points on the hitch. I cannot believe someone would custom design a hitch that would require you to cut a metal piece welded to the bumper when the tab could be moved 3 inches and fit fine. I should have taken pics when I had the bumper cover off, but I was too busy scratching my head trying to figure out why this custom hitch wouldn't fit.

Can anyone who has installed a karl hitch help a brother out?

Old 07-30-2006, 10:13 AM
phammar
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hammer,

My 05 MSC is missing that bracket you ask about. There is a hole in the bumper cover where it should be fastened. I bought the car used, so I don't know the history of it. But it seems ok without it. Consider cutting it off?

cheers,
Paul