Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Yakima Mo'Joe Bike Rack - REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 05:34 PM
sambusik
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all,
I'm out there hunting for a bike rack for my MCS, I'm looking around to see what's available, I'm open to both roof and trunk/hatchback racks. I'm visiting different bike shops to see how the racks fit on my MCS.

Many people are hesitant to buy a rack without hearing what someone else thinks of it, if they've tried it, etc.. So, today I'll post my impressions of the Mo'Joe trunk/hatchback rack by Yakima. I actually had this rack mounted on my car to see how it would look/feel.

If you go to yakima.com, look for trunk/hatchback bike racks for the Mini Cooper, it will be the second one down in the list.

Positives:
- You can mount this and remove it before and after your bike ride. It's not permanent
- Cheap ($130)
- When mounted, felt very stable.

Negatives:
- Says it will fit three bikes. I really don't see how, unless you want the front wheel quick release to rub against your bumper
- Was a major pain in the *** to mount. It has six clips, 2 go on the top of the trunk, two on the bottom, and two on the side. Straps would be flailing around in the wind, they would need to be cut.
- MCS Specific: really hard to get the top two clamps to mount, and stay there coz of the spoiler. (They have to pass under the spoiler, had to open the trunk to be able to squeeze the clamps in)
- Only fits standard bike frames, my full suspension bike would have needed another attachment ($30). Which sux, coz I wouldn't be able to use the 3 pre-exising spaces on the rack, and they're not removable
- As with any removable rack, many points of contact with the car, need to make sure they're all clean, otherwise you'll scratch up your beloved MINI.
- Can't lock your bike. Somebody can take your bike AND the rack and run with it.

Verdict:
Get it if you don't wanna spend $$, and if your car will always be in your sight when you're bike is on it. Make sure to keep it clean so your car won't get scratched up. Stable rack, that could realistically hold two bikes.

Old 03-16-2003, 08:41 PM
cooper44
4th Gear
Thank you for that review. How was it when you were driving? Did it bounce? Any nerve racking shakes that made you feel you were going to lose your bike(s)?

Craig

Old 03-17-2003, 06:54 AM
sambusik
6th Gear
It was actually very stable, no bouncing at all.
The only thing I would watch out for on these trunk/hatchback racks, is that different bike frame end up "sitting" in different ways on the rack.

For example, I had a similar rack on my Lexus IS 300. After the first time I put my bike on it, I realized my front quick release hub was sitting on my bumper. It gouged the sh*t out of it!! So I had to put a folded up sheet on the bumper to avoid that scratching.

Moral of the story, take your bike with you if you can, see how it sits on the rack and if your bike touches your car in any way when it's on the rack.

HTH