Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Bluetooth Handsfree

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Jonathan
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth Handsfree

I just picked up a new JCW MCS today. It is awesome. . . but I have a question. I had the bluetooth system installed in the car. The dealer told me that the steering wheel button for the phone is not able to be used with the bluetooth system yet. They said that the "technology is not out yet." I was wondering if anyone else heard this and if anyone knew when the button will be able to be used. Why would they put the button there if it cannot but utilized? There are two buttons on the steering wheel that don't function. Thanks for your help.

Jonathan

Old 02-04-2006, 03:44 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jonathan
The dealer told me that the steering wheel button for the phone is not able to be used with the bluetooth system yet. They said that the "technology is not out yet."
Jonathan
WELCOME to NAM and the World of MINIs

Another endearing thing about MINIs

Lots of threads on this. Do a search on Bluetooth and you will find the answer (basically thats the way it is but there are aftermarket kits that can help).

Old 02-04-2006, 05:35 PM
blalor
6th Gear
That's actually *not* the way it is. There's a kit available, but it's $1,250!

http://motoringfile.com/2005/11/22/n...mes-to-the-us/

Old 02-04-2006, 05:38 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blalor
LOL, since $1250 is ridiculous on a $20K car ... ROFL .... its so ridiculous its ..... insance. What is MINI thinking???

Old 02-04-2006, 07:22 PM
MGMRAM
2nd Gear
I had the same questions and they were answered with the help of may others! Thank you everyone. I am still waiting for the kit to arrive from the UK, but it is by far less expensive than $1250. I only have about $300. invested overall. Follow this link to a world of information

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=56859

Old 02-04-2006, 07:44 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blalor

and it is only able to be used with a few outdated phones.

Old 02-04-2006, 07:50 PM
s4gerri
2nd Gear
I've the kit in an '04 (original Mini kit) so wouldn't have the buttons on my wheel anyway. BUT - I've never even wished I did and after using the Mini Bluetooth for awhile, you'll probably forget about it too. Of course I don't have those little as a constant reminder. The system works flawlessly.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Tarzan
5th Gear
I retrofitted the oem bluetooth kit into my 05 MCS. (Not the $1250 armrest version--althouth I have retrofitted the oem armrest into the car as well).

When I first got the MINI I read the motoringfile article on the bluetooth kit and I was a little concerned by the way the article goes on and on about how non-integrated the buttons look, and shows a picture of it that gave me the impression it was the size of a brick.

In reality, my 11/04 build car doesn't have the mfsw phone buttons, so anything I got would have to have an external button control. I asked the dealership to let me see the unit as I was considering buying it and I've got to say, I was suprised at how small the button controller actually is. It's really very small and unassuming. It's made of the same materials as the radio and ac buttons, and in my opinion looks perfectly at home in the car. Everything else, including the microphone, is concealed.

While installing it, I did a couple of things. The kit seems to be configured for right-hand drive cars. I switched the locations of the microphone and the sunroof switches (they're interchangeable) putting the microphone closer to my driving position. Also the directions say to remove your cupholder and install the button holder on the right-hand downtube using the enclosed bracket. I wanted the buttons closer to my driving position and I didn't want to give up my cupholder, so I hammered and re-bent the bracket to go onto the left downtube.

The little green light on the button control is the same color (and now in line with) the green lights on my MCS's auto air conditioning. I think it looks perfectly integrated into the MINI, and I just love how well it works!

Old 05-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Jonathan
2nd Gear
I did everything that Tarzan recommended (switched the microphone and the sunroof control), and everytime I use the phone, people complain that I sound like I am in a tunnel and that it is hard to hear me. Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to make the quality of the sound better for the people on the other end of the line? Is there a better microphone to get or something? Thanks for your help.

Jonathan

Old 05-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Tarzan
5th Gear
The microphone is directional. Under the little vent cover, make sure you point the arrow that says "front of car" towards the ... front of the car. Getting it in backwards is said to make the sound quality poor.

Some people have less tolerance for speaker phones than others. Essentially, it's equivilant to a speaker phone. My friend Lori is a Speaker-phone ****. Whether at home, work, cell phone, or car, she can't get one sentence in without harping, "take me off speaker phone!"

Everyone else doesn't complain or care. The quieter it is inside the car (ie. sunroof and windows closed, ac blower not going full bore...) the better you will sound, too.