Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior racing stripes question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 09:17 PM
Nomonstersinme
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do the black racing stripes from mini come with the white border? the MCS seem to have white borders but i havent seen any coopers with black stripes with white borders. any photos, answers?

Old 02-04-2003, 06:45 AM
SoopaCoopa
3rd Gear
Cooper stripes are one color: black or white.

"S" stripes are 2 color: black with white rule, or white with black rule.

If you like the two-tone stripes, you could ask your dealer to install "S" stripes on your Cooper.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:29 AM
Mini-Matt
4th Gear
OR

as an option you could get stripes from us and have unlimited choices in the border colors. Last week we shipped out a nice set of white stripes with a red border for a all black MCS - will post pics as soon as we get them back.

just something to think about if you want to break out of the norm.

matt@cooperflags.com

Old 02-05-2003, 05:28 PM
jebernauer
2nd Gear
What does it take to install the stripes? Is that something I can try on my own? I was hoping to get a pair of red stripes for my Indi Blue Cooper. If anyone has pics of a red and blue Cooper or MCS I would love to exchange ideas. Thanks!

Old 02-05-2003, 10:21 PM
Mini-Matt
4th Gear
Bonnet stripes are pretty easy to install.

here is what you need

Masking tape
Denatured alcohol or Windex
Lint free rags
Tape measure
Razor blades
Spray bottle
Liquid-soap solution
Squeegee

1. Begin by test-fitting the front pair of stripes on the hood of the vehicle. The stripes come with a protective adhesive-backing applied to both sides. Following the instructions and diagrams that come with the kit, and without removing any of the adhesive backing, place the stripes in position on the vehicle.
2. Once you have made any fine adjustments and placed the stripes precisely so that they are straight, centered and even, tape the stripes down with short strips of masking tape and mark the outlines of the stripes' exact locations with the masking tape.
3. After you've marked the locations for the stripes, remove them, and prep the surface where you'll be installing the stripes by cleaning thoroughly with denatured alcohol. This step ensures that any wax has been removed from the surface.
4. Once you've thoroughly cleaned the areas where the stripes are to be mounted, spray the area with a mild solution of soap and water. The solution is made up of 1 tablespoon of dishwashing soap to a quart and a half of water.
5. Carefully peel back the upper portion of the adhesive backing on the adhering surface of one of the stripes. (Don't pull the backing completely off just yet.) Spray the adhering surface of the stripe with the soapy solution. The soapy solution allows the stripe to slide around on the surface for exact placement. Use your tape markings as a guide.
6. With the adhering surface saturated with spray, lay the stripe down in position, and continue pulling back the adhesive backing from underneath.
7. Make minor adjustments as necessary until the stripe is precisely aligned with your outline.
8. With the top-side adhesive backing still in place, use a plastic squeegee to remove excess water from beneath the stripe, and smooth out the stripe so that it conforms to the curve of the hood. Take your time and carefully draw the squeegee across the stripe to remove wrinkles.
9. Very carefully peel away and remove the top section of adhesive backing.
10. Using a squeege (supplied with the kit) covered with a soft cloth, carefully smooth out and remove any bubbles that might have formed beneath the stripe.

Old 02-06-2003, 07:59 AM
digitalpussi
3rd Gear
Mini-Matt

Thanx for the info on how to intall the bonnet stripes :smile: Also do you happen to know if the bonnet stripes are archival? Will white bonnet stripes ever begin to yellow over time ? What about if one decided to remove there decals years from now, would there be any damage from the adhesive to the clearcoat from a possible chemical reaction over the years? Sorry for the barrage of questions I am just curious

p.s. sorry I didn't mean to hijack this thread you can repy to me pv.

MC ~ CR/W ~ Tartan Red Interior ~ CVT ~ Chrome Line Inserts ~ Multi-Function Steering Wheel ~ Sports Package ~ 16" White Star rims ~
Booked on the MAERSK WAVE and set to sail on 1/20 and ariving on 2/8

Old 02-06-2003, 08:08 AM
digitalpussi
3rd Gear
Hey nomonsterinme

You can see pix of DaveinDenvers custom bonnet stripes he had done at a sign shop in black w/ white ruled in this thread. There very nice looking indeed :smile: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...pic=5574&7

MC ~ CR/W ~ Tartan Red Interior ~ CVT ~ Chrome Line Inserts ~ Multi-Function Steering Wheel ~ Sports Package ~ 16" White Star rims ~

Old 02-06-2003, 08:20 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
digitalpussi: thanks for the kind words about my stripes. :smile:

Old 02-06-2003, 08:30 AM
digitalpussi
3rd Gear
Hey Dave no problem you have really good taste

I was considering black w/ white ruled on a CR/Wa while back, but I am not for sure how it would look on the CR/W. My MC will have the tarten red interior and I thought it would tie in w/ the black /white ruled bonnet stripes...hhmm

Old 02-06-2003, 01:16 PM
Kelisa
2nd Gear
I am ordering a CR/W MC and am going to add the black stripes with white rule. I think it will look great. It will go with the other black trim on the car. White rule punches it out a little. I say go for it!

Old 02-06-2003, 01:23 PM
digitalpussi
3rd Gear
Yeah I was thinking that too since the trim is black on the MINI. I am also thinking of getting the zebra print (or customizing an animal print) roof decal as well :smile:

Old 02-09-2003, 10:21 AM
Mini-Matt
4th Gear
dp

Will white bonnet stripes ever begin to yellow over time ? What about if one decided to remove there decals years from now, would there be any damage from the adhesive to the clearcoat from a possible chemical reaction over the years?

I've not seen a set of our bonnet stripes yellow overtime. The nice thing about the stripes is they can be removed and new ones reinstalled everyyear or so without much cost -as Dave has figured out. The advehise they use these days is mild so don't worry too much about it hurting the paint. If the deisgns are left on for a LONG period of time you may have some paint fading. You can prevent this by using good wax and after the stripes are removed a good buff job will usually remove any fade marks.

hope this helps
matt@cooperflags.com

Old 02-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Casey
5th Gear
additionally if you get your stripes from cooper flags they should be the exact size...unlike the factory ones which are a 1/4 inch short.