Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Painting Headlight Housing (aka Joey Mod)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 10:34 AM
DmOcRsI
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
yes....But how to do it has been a mystery. A lot of people know of the tactic of heating an oven up to 200 degrees and putting the headlight in for like 15 minutes (thats what most subaru owners do i believe), but a long long time ago one of the original members here reported having problems with using the oven technique. Something about clips still retaining the glass, not just the sealant. But obviously it is possible as seen below. The pictures come from a japanese tuner company who has done this mod a lot of times, and has even gone as far as adding angel eyes (like the BMWs have). So they obviously know how to do it, but weren't responding to my emails.
I used to do this all the time, but mainly with less expensive cars where the assemblies weren't as complicated. In actuallity a heat-gun is easier to use because it's just more precise. The downside is when you put it back together you glue them, so it's kinda ugly on the backside, but you don't notice it at all from the front. Not hard.. just time consuming. I haven't done this to mine, but I have contimplated it.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:55 AM
Bar10girl
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NokturnalMCS
I used to do this all the time, but mainly with less expensive cars where the assemblies weren't as complicated. In actuallity a heat-gun is easier to use because it's just more precise. The downside is when you put it back together you glue them, so it's kinda ugly on the backside, but you don't notice it at all from the front. Not hard.. just time consuming. I haven't done this to mine, but I have contimplated it.
It is very time consuming, however, the results are worth it.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:22 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
When I figure this one out, I think I'll keep it a secret too...razz:

I have a spare lamp too...so my time to experiment...

Old 08-23-2006, 09:53 AM
fj0
5th Gear
Wait a minute, strassentech? Are they making stuff for the MINI now?

Old 08-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Konky
4th Gear
Old 08-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got an open one sitting right next to me

Old 08-23-2006, 12:48 PM
fj0
5th Gear
I've got an open one sitting right next to me
You suck.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
I can easily tell you my secret....i dremelled mine open

Everyone else probably did the more clean route like Konky did with the heat. Personally the heat gun set on high heat didn't work....the oven trick didnt work even after extended amounts of time so i dremelled

Old 08-23-2006, 05:13 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
I can easily tell you my secret....i dremelled mine open

Everyone else probably did the more clean route like Konky did with the heat. Personally the heat gun set on high heat didn't work....the oven trick didnt work even after extended amounts of time so i dremelled
Hmm why do you think the oven didn't work? Did you try upping the temperature? Anyways, please post pics!! I hope to be able to try this in the not-so-distant future...

Old 08-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 02///MCS
Hmm why do you think the oven didn't work? Did you try upping the temperature? Anyways, please post pics!! I hope to be able to try this in the not-so-distant future...
I upped the temperature....but i would guess that i just didn't wait long enough. I was getting really afraid that the plastic parts were gonna start deforming before the glue melted. There were a few places that you could see the glue and it wasn't even getting soft and yet the plastic kinda was.....so i got scared and just moved on.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:51 AM
Konky
4th Gear
hahaha the memories...

Old 08-24-2006, 08:04 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Can anyone get hold of Tuls and ask him to respond to my PM?

Thanks...

Old 08-24-2006, 08:34 AM
schooner2
4th Gear
I have an open one in my garage was well! I am just waiting for the painter to be ready for me! I used the oven method! was not to hard! but I have another plan in my head of how I want to try on my head lights! The oven method was on a spare head light!! Cant wait to get the ELECTRIC BLue in the head light!!

Old 08-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Can anyone get hold of Tuls and ask him to respond to my PM?

Thanks...
He is on route on MTTS...so it may be a while before he can get on a computer again.....he has been posting over on M|U throughout the trip...so you might wanna try there too

Old 08-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by schooner2
I have an open one in my garage was well! I am just waiting for the painter to be ready for me! I used the oven method! was not to hard! but I have another plan in my head of how I want to try on my head lights! The oven method was on a spare head light!! Cant wait to get the ELECTRIC BLue in the head light!!
what temp and time in the oven?

Old 08-24-2006, 08:49 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
What happens after the oven? Do we throw it against the wall, use a screw driver or just yell at it? Jeeesh...this is like getting teeth from a hen....

Can somebody please be more descriptive than "I got one open"? We're on page three already...razz:

Old 08-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Passat774
5th Gear
Oven + screw drive = open most of the time..

Old 08-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Konky
4th Gear
I used a buck knife(large pocket knife) and started at 200 degrees... then 300... then 400 :D

Old 08-24-2006, 10:36 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the look on the black car, but on the brighter colors it looks a bit... strange. Something about the chrome ring with the color inside AND out looks off to me. It might be because I like the look of the '06 light interiors so much, though. I'm thinking a darkish, metallic gray/anthracite in there would look good with almost any color, though...

Old 08-24-2006, 11:24 AM
schooner2
4th Gear
okay, I put mine in the oven at 280 for 8 min, and then used a screw driver, but I have a new plan, using a windshield knife, I am going to try and get it apart without the oven! but the painter is coming tonight to do it so I will report back tomarrow, maybe with some pictures!!

I had to put the light in the oven twice at 280 to finally get it apart! but it also pulled out the 3 bolts from the back side that hold the chrome piece in, so i think that helped get the whole thing apart easier with a screw driver!!

I cant wait to get this done!

Old 08-24-2006, 12:16 PM
chikmagnet
3rd Gear
wow look what i started with thread it is an empidemic

Old 08-24-2006, 12:21 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
okay, I put mine in the oven at 280 for 8 min, and then used a screw driver, but I have a new plan, using a windshield knife, I am going to try and get it apart without the oven! but the painter is coming tonight to do it so I will report back tomarrow, maybe with some pictures!!

I had to put the light in the oven twice at 280 to finally get it apart! but it also pulled out the 3 bolts from the back side that hold the chrome piece in, so i think that helped get the whole thing apart easier with a screw driver!!

I cant wait to get this done!
Can you tell us more about these three screws?

Old 08-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Can you tell us more about these three screws?
you can see where they are from outside the headlight....they go along the perimeter on and hold the chrome section (the one you want to paint) to the black plastic housing(backing). You can't see the heads of the screws when the headlights are assembled, but you can see the bulges on the side where they are.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:11 PM
schooner2
4th Gear
Ralleymini is right. so you can either pull them from the back or brake them from the front! pulling from the back is pretty easy! Use a nice set of wire crips with cutters in the front to do the job, that is what I did!

Old 08-25-2006, 06:17 AM
schooner2
4th Gear
Okay last night I pulled the trigger on my head lights and was succesful!-- I put the oven at 280 degree and left the head lights in for 8 minutes, I used a thick putty knife to pry open! They had to go in the oven twice! If you just work it patiently they will come apart! I did removed the 3 bolts from the back side so I wouldnt have to deal with them. Not sure if it helped or not but they did come apart! Sorry i dont have any pictures but the chrome pieces are at the painter today and should have them back together by sat afternoon, I will try and take some picture of them apart and of the 3 screw. and how i plan on putting them back together so i can get back in there with easy if I need too!! I hope this might help just a little. But remeber if you try this crap happens!! I did put a small crack in my glass so now I have to get a new lens which sucks but things happen, so just be really careful and go slow when pulling apart, this crack could have been easly avoided!!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Painting Headlight Housing (aka Joey Mod)