Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior M7 Extreme Hood scoop installed (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 02:52 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M7 Extreme Hood scoop installed (pics)

Well check it out!! Its made of extremely high quality parts and the paint job is amazing. I'm very please

I really don't think the pics do it justice. Its an incredible item. Thank you M7!!

Old 06-07-2005, 03:30 PM
aminicooper
4th Gear
How does the fit of the black plastic inside where it meets the bonnet and intercooler? When I installed mine, it left a gap...

Old 06-07-2005, 03:55 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by aminicooper
How does the fit of the black plastic inside where it meets the bonnet and intercooler? When I installed mine, it left a gap...
Mine does this too. I messed with it for a bit trying to make it fit better. I think if I had 4 hands I could hold it while I held the scoop and then put in the bolt to hold it. I might ask Peter is there was a step we missed in the not included instructions on this dummy-proof mod

Old 06-07-2005, 04:09 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
I did not like the looks of this piece at first. I ordered one for the performance benefits. After seeing yours and Rick's I changed my mind...I think it looks pretty good. It is interesting that you went with black.....I like it.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:19 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by SpiderX
I did not like the looks of this piece at first. I ordered one for the performance benefits. After seeing yours and Rick's I changed my mind...I think it looks pretty good. It is interesting that you went with black.....I like it.
Thanks! Now I'm just wondering if I want to stripe my car or not. I'm thinking to do the viper style or none at all. I wasn't to happy with my choice of black at first but the more it was there and I looked at the pics the more I liked it.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:24 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Viper stripes on that all Silver car will look "Killer" IMHO.

Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Thanks! Now I'm just wondering if I want to stripe my car or not. I'm thinking to do the viper style or none at all. I wasn't to happy with my choice of black at first but the more it was there and I looked at the pics the more I liked it.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:20 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi there....

Got a call earlier from a customer that had a problem like the one in the picture.
At first I suspected his air diverter had a broken tab, and I let him know what
would be a simple solution to the problem.
But after looking at the Cosworth MINI I figure something was not installed right. I suspect that when the scoop gets installed, the plastic shield/tab
is not grabbing on to the edge. I recommend you to loosen the scoop, force the tab behind the scoop edge and.......Presto.

Here's an image of the scoop opening and how it should look.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:27 PM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
I thought it was an STI for a sec.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:13 PM
aminicooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by M7
Hi there....

Got a call earlier from a customer that had a problem like the one in the picture.
That was me!

I'll check it out Peter, will let you know if I still have problems.

Check your email for the picture, regarding the blemish on the paintwork.
Thanks.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:19 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mdsbrain, that looks great! only thing is, now that chrome around your headlights looks like it needs to be dealt with...

Old 06-07-2005, 10:34 PM
aminicooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by M7
At first I suspected his air diverter had a broken tab, and I let him know what would be a simple solution to the problem.
But after looking at the Cosworth MINI I figure something was not installed right. I suspect that when the scoop gets installed, the plastic shield/tab
is not grabbing on to the edge. I recommend you to loosen the scoop, force the tab behind the scoop edge and.......Presto.
Peter,

Spent 45min.... It didn't work.

Couple thoughts... the "bolts" that are built into the M7 Scoop are slightly larger than the OEM bolts, the opening to the plastic eyelet isn't large enough, I even had a hard time just "dropping" the M7 Scoop into the 4 metal bonnet eyelets. If the screws were OEM diameter sized, then I might have room to wiggle the M7 Scoop to the left or right a bit and allow more adjustment to the black plastic trim.

When you say "plastic shield/tab" is this black tab on either side of the center, as seen in my picture? If so, the M7 Scoop doesn't extend far enough back so that these tabs "grab". No matter how I adjust the black plastic trim, even loosening the two screws on the bonnet to allow more play. It may seem that the black plastic trim is already pushed against the M7 Scoop, there's no more room for adjustment so that the top "tabs" grab to the M7 Scoop. Either that or the bolts on the M7 Scoop aren't small enough so the black plastic trim to freely move back/forth for the adjustment (it's pretty tight, even pushing it over the bolt was hard).

Maybe I'm missing the magic words... Presto.

Thoughts Peter?

Thanks

Old 06-07-2005, 11:50 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmmm.....

You know I have to think about it, and it's to late for brilliant thoughts.
I will be gone for business on Wednesday, so Thursday will be the day
for looking in to the "BIG" stud controversy.

peter

Old 06-08-2005, 03:35 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by chrisnl
now that chrome around your headlights looks like it needs to be dealt with...
Funny you said that! MY best bud that saw it right after I installed it said the same thing. I'm not convinced yet, but who knows. My finances for mods are currently tied up in a sway bar, AGS and pulley to come soon

Old 06-08-2005, 06:21 AM
red rage
4th Gear
Are there any "documented improvements" with this scoop ? Please link me if so

(I apoligize in advance if there is info posted elsewhere about that... busy)

Old 06-11-2005, 06:45 AM
BUMBL BEE
Neutral
M7 Hood Scoop Fitting

Originally Posted by aminicooper
Peter,

Spent 45min.... It didn't work.

Couple thoughts... the "bolts" that are built into the M7 Scoop are slightly larger than the OEM bolts, the opening to the plastic eyelet isn't large enough, I even had a hard time just "dropping" the M7 Scoop into the 4 metal bonnet eyelets. ...

... Either that or the bolts on the M7 Scoop aren't small enough so the black plastic trim to freely move back/forth for the adjustment (it's pretty tight, even pushing it over the bolt was hard).
I ordered my scoop unpainted because past experience has taught me that some "fitting" may be needed. The M7 scoop was no exception. I had to sand the base to fit snuggly to my bonnet to get it just right. Then, because the M7 mounting bolts were larger in diameter than the stock scoop, I routed out the elongated holes on the stock plastic hood-mounted diverter so that they would easily slip over the M7 bolts and allow me some "wiggle room". I then added a couple of wide stainless steel washers between the nuts and the plastic diverter. It lined up fine.

I have noticed, however, that the center top of the scoop opening in the bonnet of my car has a square hole in the lip where the tab in the center top of the plastic diverter appears to go. It looks like there is supposed to be some kind of a hardware clip that would "grab" the tab and hold it in the correct position against the bonnet opening and thereby make aligning the M7 scoop and the diverter unnecessary. Anyone have thoughts on this apparently missing hardware? The photo shows how I used a wire tie to hold it:

One more thing I did was to take a box cutter and trim some of the rubber on the bottom of the diverter so that the opening is not blocked so much by it. I think you want to be careful, though, because if you cut too much, the air will not be directed to the intercooler.

If you will loosen the two phillip-head screws at the back of the diverter, you can get enough play in the diverter to get it to align pretty well with the M7 scoop. Insert the scoop and get the nuts started and snug up the front pair (Be careful not to tighten any of the nuts too much, or the fiberglass may crack). Reach under the scoop and pull on the lip on the diverter while, with your other hand, you guide the diverter to match up with the scoop. When you have it as good as it can be, continue holding the diverter with one hand while you snug up the nuts on the back of the scoop. Snug up the phillip-head screws and you're done!

BTW, my car is yellow and I opted for painting the scoop black. I, too, like the contrast.

Last edited by BUMBL BEE; 06-11-2005 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Add photos
Old 06-11-2005, 07:23 AM
pcnorton
5th Gear
I like the idea. But the visual I could do without. Its what kept me from liking the WRX STi. I guess with my indi blue coope, i would go from bugs on the intercooler to letters and mail.

Looks very practical and track worthy. Just can't wrap my brain around the look.

Paul

Old 06-11-2005, 08:17 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to note ..... I'm collecting a whole lot more bugs with my M-7 !

Old 06-11-2005, 08:26 AM
aminicooper
4th Gear
Wish I had done the same, got it unpainted... would have arrived sooner, and allowed me to fit it better. I started to fix up the areas where it was too thick when it met the diverter thing, I had to stop since I didn't want to sand away a lot of the paint from the M7 scoop.

I too had to make the holes larger on the hood-mounted diverter, I didn't have any wiggle room either.

As for the center tab, I noticed that too... they had a tab for the lower portion, didn't see why they couldn't have done it in the more obvious location.

Overall, if the inner lip where it meets the diverter was just a tad wider, it wouldn't have been necessary to do much sanding, since it would have met the diverter's tabs and made a more "perfect" fit (at least on my car). Otherwise as it looks now, I couldn't make much improvement since it's been painted.

Originally Posted by BUMBL BEE
I ordered my scoop unpainted because past experience has taught me that some "fitting" may be needed. The M7 scoop was no exception. I had to sand the base to fit snuggly to my bonnet to get it just right. Then, because the M7 mounting bolts were larger in diameter than the stock scoop, I routed out the elongated holes on the stock plastic hood-mounted diverter so that they would easily slip over the M7 bolts and allow me some "wiggle room". I then added a couple of wide stainless steel washers between the nuts and the plastic diverter. It lined up fine.

(snip)

Old 06-19-2005, 01:09 AM
SteelKite
2nd Gear
Hey there,
The scoop looks great ....
Is it ready for prime time?
Good fit and finish or wait for the next batch?
thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 06-19-2005, 12:21 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by SteelKite
Hey there,
The scoop looks great ....
Is it ready for prime time?
Good fit and finish or wait for the next batch?
thanks in advance for your advice.
Mine looks great and fit perfectly. So I'd say go ahead and get one. Just be willing to wait a few days for shipment if you ask for painting.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:38 PM
aminicooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BUMBL BEE
I have noticed, however, that the center top of the scoop opening in the bonnet of my car has a square hole in the lip where the tab in the center top of the plastic diverter appears to go. It looks like there is supposed to be some kind of a hardware clip that would "grab" the tab and hold it in the correct position against the bonnet opening and thereby make aligning the M7 scoop and the diverter unnecessary. Anyone have thoughts on this apparently missing hardware? The photo shows how I used a wire tie to hold it:

Great tip BUMBL BEE
I tie-wrapped it and looks good.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:42 AM
ZenMINI3
2nd Gear
Ok Im thinking about ordering the M7 scoop and GRS IC. I think they would compliment eachother nicely. Would there be a problem installing the EHS (extreme hood scoop) with the GRS air diverter?

Old 08-15-2005, 03:26 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Mine went right on ....no problem

Old 08-15-2005, 08:02 AM
ZenMINI3
2nd Gear
I see in your sig that you have the alta IC. Im talking fitment with the air diverter on the GRS. Unless you havent updated our sig...