Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior How do i disarm the seatbelt indicator chime?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 07:23 PM
BigBrownDog
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope you're wearing your goggles and flak jacket while you're down there poking around with a ohm-meter. One of those connectors is for the *exploding* seat-belt buckle tensioner, which is part of the SRS system. I don't know which one and I don't care. I'm staying far away from anything that's likely to cost several hundred $$ to replace just because I was sticking my "probe" where it doesn't belong.

And just so you know, if you manage to fsck up the wrong connector, you'll be staring at the Airbag light all day while you're listening to the chime.

Originally Posted by liaudio
ok... here's a report.

I got under the seat with my multitester and...

Can't figure it out. I tried testing continuity with a few of the clips attached to the seat that seemed to run to the seatbelt latch.

The blue one has a spring that shorts the two needle-like prongs inside the clip and always shows continuity while unclipped. I noticed this and was able to temporarily disengage the spring and then proceeded to test for continuity while the buckle was engaged and then disengaged. Nothing.

I tried this tactic to the two black ones and didn't find a difference regardless of when the buckle was engaged and then disengaged.

I though that it possibly just showed resistence in the line when the buckle was engaged but my Ohm-Meter proved that this was not the case.

I'm STUMPED!!! Am I looking in the wrong clips? I was always under the impression that the yellow clips signified an air-bag component so i stayed away from this one, and i also stayed away from the clip that had more than 2 wires in it. Besides, those clips didn't seem to run to the seatbelt latch.

:(

Old 04-06-2005, 05:06 AM
liaudio
2nd Gear
car was off, and the clips leading into the seat are passive.

Thanks, although i did sense some sarcasm...

Old 04-06-2005, 06:22 AM
Stele
2nd Gear
On some Fords you can just press the button as if you're taking off the seatbelt (only you don't have a seatbelt in) and it registers as if you have removed the seatbelt and stops dinging.

But, I don't think that will work with the MINI because according to the reports here the '05's will ding even if you have the belt on and take it off.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:40 PM
MINI-IZED
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh, I would have no problem ripping the mechanism right out if it weren't a lease. I was seeing how i could dismantle it with out it being irreversiblebut it looks to be futile.
[borg voice] WE ARE MINIUSA… YOU WILL BE BELTED IN… RESISTANCE IS FUTILE…

Old 04-06-2005, 09:10 PM
liaudio
2nd Gear
this thread is going nowhere.

Old 04-06-2005, 09:19 PM
namwob
5th Gear
The chime will still sound form the time you insert the key till you reach position 2. or the headlight reminder. Being a hall sensor,( sudden brain fart) inserting anything 1" wide in the catch will trick it. Now to attack the chime directly, use the NAM search & Type in "speedometer leds" for a step by step for replacing orange leds with blue and while your there smash the chime or replace with a music chip playing "Go Speedracer Go" covered by "Three Nice Girls"

being you already read this & there is no fuse for the chime only, what do you expect to find ? You are on your 3rd thread on the same queery. Maybe if you read it again it will register?

Old 04-06-2005, 09:41 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah - buckle up kid! LOL

Old 04-07-2005, 01:53 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
I DO wear my seatbelt. Just not when i'm parked and fooling around with whatever. (like the H/K stereo or better yet, my girlfriend) j/k.
So I guess you were just joshing when you wrote this...fooled again!

As long as we're going there, care to share why you don't wear the seatbelt? I'm really curious.
Up until college I didn't wear one either - then I crashed my car, knocking off the rear view mirror and cracking the windshield with my head. For good measure, I crushed my amp/equalizer with my leg. After that, wearing a seatbelt seemed like a pretty good idea.
Is it convenience? It's cool not to wear it? Questioning authority? You can PM me if you don't want to post to the forum.
Thanks, and best of luck!

Old 04-07-2005, 03:35 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
I'm not afraid to dispense some irresponsible advice.
why don't you get a spare seatbelt clasp to leave
in the slot?

Old 04-07-2005, 05:47 AM
Ol' Yankee
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cristo
I'm not afraid to dispense some irresponsible advice.
why don't you get a spare seatbelt clasp to leave
in the slot?
Do you know where to get them?

Old 04-07-2005, 06:51 AM
liaudio
2nd Gear
I do wear it. Leaving an extra buckle in the mechanism would prevent me from actually wearing it.

Just forget the whole thing.

I'm responsible enough to know the difference, but thank you everyone.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:13 PM
dondada
1st Gear
Here's Your Solution!!!

I didn't usually wear seat belts in the past. Though the 2 times I've gotten into major accidents (major meaning my cars were totaled), a little voice in my head told me to put them on for some odd reason b/f I took off driving. And let me tell you, it has saved my life both times. I like the little noise the car makes, it forces me to put them on always.

To get back to your original question, I tried this recently:
- Turn your car on. Don't wear your seat belt.
- Drive off. The noise will come on and will stay on.
- Ignore it and keep driving. After sometime (it seemed a long time but it's not that long) it will stop and the seatbelt light will stay on but no beep.

On my way home today, I'll check how long it takes for the beep to turn off. But from what I remembered it was like 3-5 minutes or something.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:14 AM
liaudio
2nd Gear
you see! Thats the kind of response I like!!

Thanks Don!

Old 04-11-2005, 10:23 AM
dondada
1st Gear
liaudio,

No probs. Let me know if it worked for you.
BTW, in my car it takes about 2 minutes for the beep to shutoff.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Ol' Yankee
1st Gear
My SOLUTION !!

This morning my wife and I went to the friendly neighborhood auto recycle parts store ( junk yard ), looking for replacement seat belt male connector ends. I told the desk man what I needed and the reason. He didn't give me a lecture or unsolicited advice.

He let us loose in the yard after giving us directions to the BMW section. Wife and I split up with a template drawing of the part sought.

She found the perfect match. They came from a 2000 Ford Focus.

If you want to do your own junk yard picking, I have a couple of peices of advice:

1) Go only after several dry days. Slipping and sliding in the mud around sharp rusted metal may be hazardous to your health.

2) Take a drawn outline-template of your connector, including interior holes. Don't count on the connector in your car to be the same as I found in the Focus. Manufacturers such as BMW and Ford just love to change stuff in their cars within model years.

3) Take a sharp knife or scissors to cut through the belt material.

The best is last of course!! After testing the connector in my car, I took both to the desk and pulled out my wallet, asking how much I owed. He waved me away and said "Have a Nice Day".

WOW !! Free is Wonderful !!!

Old 04-26-2005, 07:44 PM
namwob
5th Gear
Originally Posted by namwob
The chime will still sound form the time you insert the key till you reach position 2. or the headlight reminder. Being a hall sensor,( sudden brain fart) inserting anything 1" wide in the catch will trick it. Now to attack the chime directly, use the NAM search & Type in "speedometer leds" for a step by step for replacing orange leds with blue and while your there smash the chime or replace with a music chip playing "Go Speedracer Go" covered by "Three Nice Girls"

being you already read this & there is no fuse for the chime only, what do you expect to find ? You are on your 3rd thread on the same queery. Maybe if you read it again it will register?
Ol' yankee read this while cleaning the mud from your shoes (anything about an inch wide) I just muffled mine with some thick rubberized tape.

Old 05-27-2005, 09:17 AM
aquaanox
2nd Gear
Just keep them clipped in from the back of the seat, not that i think you shouldnt wear a seatbelt... ; )

Old 05-27-2005, 11:07 AM
aminicooper
4th Gear
Buckle the seatbelt first. Then sit in the seat.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:33 PM
Xman
3rd Gear
I always wear my seatbelt but I agree with liaudio on the chime, it's VERY ANNOYING !!! "Shut up already, I'm putting it on !!!"

To "solve" that problem, my guess would be to replace the seatbelt with a European specs seatblet, since cars don't chime in Europe.
Just a thought.