Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Brake light Mod with fogs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:47 AM
pefloresjr
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake light Mod with fogs?

I have an 04 S with rear fog lights. I would love it if I could still do the brake light mod. Does anybody know if this is possible? Maybe a circuit where the current would flow to the extra light when the brakes are applied but wouldn't allow any reverse current to the brake light when the fogs are on? I have no experience with electronics at all (which may be stating the obvious). There was one method of the brake light mod that involved a circuit from Radio Shack. Would that method work with the fogs? I certainly don't want to do anything to screw up the electronic system in my MINI.

Any advice or education on this would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Old 03-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Electron_Mike
3rd Gear
I'm not positive, but I think you can use a diode instead of a wire and it'll work. You'll probably want to check that out more though, cause like I said, I'm not sure.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:16 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes you can Pete!
Do a search for diode here on NAM.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
brake light kit

I'm not sure if you can do it on a 04 - go to myminiparts.com and email Peter he would know for sure.

I purchased a kit from myminiparts.com for 12 bucks. Some have posted complaining that 12 bucks was alot money for something that has been post here "how to" for free.

For ME it was worth the 12 bucks. I figured by the time I buy everything and build it, perhaps i would have saved a couple of bucks. This was 123.

wires with diodes inline protected by heat shrink.quick or self tapping connectors at all ends (squeeze with pliers).
good how to install directions w/ pics.

did it in 12 minutes and sh*t do they light up the back.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:00 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by pefloresjr
I have an 04 S with rear fog lights. I would love it if I could still do the brake light mod. Does anybody know if this is possible? Maybe a circuit where the current would flow to the extra light when the brakes are applied but wouldn't allow any reverse current to the brake light when the fogs are on? I have no experience with electronics at all (which may be stating the obvious). There was one method of the brake light mod that involved a circuit from Radio Shack. Would that method work with the fogs? I certainly don't want to do anything to screw up the electronic system in my MINI.

Any advice or education on this would be appreciated.

Cheers,
This kit works on 2004 MINIs. Even if you have the rear foglights enabled. How do I know you may ask? I am the maker of the kit that is sold by MYMINIPARTS. The DIODE stops the flow of power from the rear foglights to the brake lights. The only year this does not work on is the 2005 and I am in development on that because of the location, I am trying to make this as easy as possible. This system will not screw anything up.

Old 03-09-2005, 02:00 PM
pefloresjr
3rd Gear
Cool! Thanks for the info guys. I'll do the search for diode and check out the website. I'll have to decide then where to buy to parts.

Cheers,

Old 03-09-2005, 02:11 PM
WindMeUp
4th Gear
Should be able to get them at your local radio shack