Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Choose wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 04:37 AM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Choose wheels?

Hello guys.
Im searching for a new wheels for couple of months but its getting difficult.More than i thought.

Wheels must be 17X7.5 or 17X8(it wont scratch right? I have heard even the rear wheels might scratch at the inside-outside fender-arc.
So what i like most is monoblock wheels. Its impossible to make real monoblock wheels and also the cost for monoblock wheel might be more than 3k per set..
The ONLY wheel that i have found that have that "monoblock" look are the Rotiform RSE 17X8 ET35 (they should be fit without any issue right?)
The bad thing with those wheels is that the wheels arent for performance(weight a lot) but rather than stance-show car and because my setup will be more performance than show car i would rather find better quality-performance wheels.

So is there ANY other wheels that look like monoblock?Like the Rotiform RSE?
https://cdna3.zoeysite.com/Adzpo594R..._1_1_1_1_2.jpg

Thank you so much.!

Old 04-02-2020, 08:31 AM
thebmwnut
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I run a 17x8 35 offset with 215 45 17 tires. I have never heard them rub but would say it's the max offset I would feel comfortable with for fear of rubbing. Feel I'm kind of vague on what I'm trying to say. I have seen post where people with more offset have said the wheel arches was got knock loose or it only rubs if I hit a really large bump. I'm saying I don't have any of those issues.

Last edited by thebmwnut; 04-02-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:24 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Ride height and alignment will play a big role in whether or not the wheels will rub.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:53 AM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by thebmwnut
I run a 17x8 35 offset with 215 45 17 tires. I have never heard them rub but would say it's the max offset I would feel comfortable with for fear of rubbing. Feel I'm kind of vague on what I'm trying to say. I have seen post where people with more offset have said the wheel arches was got knock loose or it only rubs if I hit a really large bump. I'm saying I don't have any of those issues.
Thank you very much for your reply according the rubing.
I thing 215/40 is a better choice of tyres and not 215/40. Is that correct?
Originally Posted by njaremka
Ride height and alignment will play a big role in whether or not the wheels will rub.
Can you make it more clear so i will be able to understand what are you saying.?

Any of you have ANY suggestion for wheels though?? Monoblock effect...Like the RSE?? I cant find another wheels like that and this is what im trying to find.
Thank you!!

Old 04-03-2020, 04:26 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Buying a wheel with a lower offset will push the wheels out towards the fenders. Adding camber can then help keep the wheels from rubbing on the fenders. I prefer to run a modest camber setting and then find wheels that will fit the car, not the other way around.

Thise RSE wheels look nice, but if they are that heavy, I wouldn’t want them on my car. Heavy wheels will have an effect in handling, acceleration, and breaking.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:46 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Looks good but some more or less are heaver. Yep, depends on how much you are lowered and what widths. We have the ones on our site per MINI and note if aggressive or not.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-03-2020, 08:28 AM
thebmwnut
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Staxtis
Thank you very much for your reply according the rubing.
I thing 215/40 is a better choice of tyres and not 215/40. Is that correct?

Can you make it more clear so i will be able to understand what are you saying.?

Any of you have ANY suggestion for wheels though?? Monoblock effect...Like the RSE?? I cant find another wheels like that and this is what im trying to find.
Thank you!!
205 45 17 is the stock size and its 24.3 inches tall the 215 45 17 is 24.6 inches tall. Not a lot of difference the 215 40 17 is 23.9 tall little shorter than factory height. The slightly taller tire will give you a little better ride when hitting bumps and little more rim protection. I have a couple friends that have had multiple mini's and the speedometer always reads a little fast. Even with my slightly taller tire my speedometer reads a couple miles an hour fast at highway speeds. Download a speedometer app to your smartphone and check it out. Google maps does display mph but have found it not to be as accurate as just an mph app, don't know why.

apparently my dyslexia kicked in twice, when I originally said slow and meant fast.

Last edited by thebmwnut; 04-03-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:55 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Hello guys.
Im searching for a new wheels for couple of months but its getting difficult.More than i thought.

Wheels must be 17X7.5 or 17X8(it wont scratch right? I have heard even the rear wheels might scratch at the inside-outside fender-arc.
So what i like most is monoblock wheels. Its impossible to make real monoblock wheels and also the cost for monoblock wheel might be more than 3k per set..
The ONLY wheel that i have found that have that "monoblock" look are the Rotiform RSE 17X8 ET35 (they should be fit without any issue right?)
The bad thing with those wheels is that the wheels arent for performance(weight a lot) but rather than stance-show car and because my setup will be more performance than show car i would rather find better quality-performance wheels.

So is there ANY other wheels that look like monoblock?Like the Rotiform RSE?

Thank you so much.!
There's no point running anything wider than 17x7.5 on these cars really, unless you want to roll/trim the fenders and add wider arches for wider tires. Just adds a lot of unsprung weight for the sake of looks. I'm running 225/45 tires on a 17x7.5 wheel and if I was any wider I would be rubbing everywhere. Right now I only rub at full suspension compression or full steering lock. If I went wider to a 245/40 tire I would absolutely need to use wider arches, and that's the only thing that would make 17x8 wheels worth it.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a "monoblock" wheel. I'm going to assume you mean the spokes come to the very edge of the lip of the wheel with no dish? A lot of these style wheels are going to have thick spokes which naturally have more material and are going to weigh more. If you're concerned about weight then I would be looking at brands like Enkei, OZ, and Neuspeed (NM). Those companies make some of the best bang for buck performance wheel out there right now. Enkei RPF1s and OZ Ultraleggeras are both under 15lbs per wheel for 17x7s. Neuspeeds are also around 15lbs for a 17x7.5.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:47 AM
thebmwnut
2nd Gear
Thebombardier brought up some very good points not that I agree with all of his statements. When I see someone that is concerned about some or mild rubbing I automatically think this person is not going to build this car for competition use, but just wants the look. This brings up the question of how far is a person going with the look or is it really for some kind of competition? First question is what kind of suspension and how low are you going to go and are we going to add camber and how much? My car is functional as a play car and would work for performance driving events but not to the extreme of any class rules. I also would not use my 17x8 Advanti Storms and Continental DWS as a performance tire. If I switched to a 225 wide tire on my wheels I do believe they would rub.
I know 2 people that have run 245/40/15 on a 9 inch wide rim on the front and they did not rub but these are cars built to the max for a competition class. That wide of rim will not fit on the back . One of them tried 225/45/17 on a 9 inch wheel and I believe it did not rub or very minimal, when he tried 245's it was a failure they rubbed holes in his fender arches. Also these cars had the maximum camber they could get in the front. This brings up how much rim is too much? I'm not sure there's a real limit. Most racing classes of all kind have a limit of how wide a wheel can be or/and the tire it has nothing to do with weight for the most part unless the rules say you can run a wider wheel but their always seems to be an added weight penalty. I raced 125 Shifterkarts at one time and 385lbs with driver and we had about 8.2 inch wide wheels. In autocross Street Prepared where there is no limit to wheels the miatas are around 2000lbs and last I heard are on 11 inch wide wheels. R56 cooper S is about 2600 +/- 50 lbs stock and depending on options and how much fuel.

Back to the question of what are you going to do with your Cooper and what is your suspension plans and we/I can make better suggestions? A lot of people on this thread brought up some good points, but the 1st reply should have been some more questions so we could have understood what your end game is.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:05 AM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Thank you very much both of you for your time...
The suspension will be Ohlins R&T with vorshlag plates. The car must be able to be driven on the street and also at the track. Most probably i will change/buy another set of wheel for the track but for the street..The setup i would rather go to is 8inch because of the looks.
The questions are...

1.Which is the best tyre size for aggressive driving on the streets with 17X8
2.Any suggestions for the wheels??? When im saying that i need a @:monoblock look" wheel i mean that i would to be like that....

or that..

https://www.llantasonline.es/WebRoot...loss-black.jpg

You dont see the spokes it looks like it is centerlock-monoblock.
But i cant find many wheels like that

Old 04-04-2020, 11:33 AM
thebmwnut
2nd Gear
The suspension will be Ohlins R&T with vorshlag plates. The car must be able to be driven on the street and also at the track. Most probably i will change/buy another set of wheel for the track but for the street..The setup i would rather go to is 8inch because of the looks.
The questions are...

2.Any suggestions for the wheels??? When im saying that i need a @:monoblock look" wheel i mean that i would to be like that....

or that..

I'm guessing you will be kind of low with a coilover and camber plates so I would not go with a 35mm offset on a 17x8 wheel. 45 would be best and would think a 40 would work. The front is not the problem on mini's, the rear is what gets tight.

because you are looking at just wanting to use the monoblock wheel for the street , get what you think is the right look for you. It could possibly feel a little less powerful with the heavier street wheels but you get the look that you want. I don't have any suggestions on that style of wheel and kind of feel it's an older style so your going to be very limited. I do like both of your choices so far because the 1st one is a classic BBS or BMW style and that's what I grew up with. The second I also like because that fills the racing look.

Tires or as the English refers to them tyres, are you English? That is another question that you could probably get 100 different answers. When I bought my wheels in 8 inch wide it was a suggestion to run the 215/45/17. Did a quick search and few people said it made there car better on the bumps. I did it because mini for some reason have fast reading speedometer's and I wanted mine closer to accurate. It got better but it's still a little off at highway speeds. I don't think the difference between 205 or 215 is going to feel better or worse on the street. The biggest tell will be the tire itself vs another type or brand that you choose. I run an all season Continental DWS because it's my daily driver tire and we get a little snow. I have seen a lot of post that people are very happy with them. If I lived in a climate that did not get snow and ice I would be on the Continental Contisport its amazing in the rain.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:43 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
I'm guessing you will be kind of low with a coilover and camber plates so I would not go with a 35mm offset on a 17x8 wheel. 45 would be best and would think a 40 would work. The front is not the problem on mini's, the rear is what gets tight.
I highly disagree with this. My 17x7.5 wheels have an offset of 40 and there is less than 1/4" of clearance between the front strut and the inside of the front wheels. When you add the tires they're almost touching. You would probably need 35 offset to clear the strut, and I believe 30 offset is the most common as it gets the outside face of the wheel flush with the stock fender flares.

Thebombardier brought up some very good points not that I agree with all of his statements. When I see someone that is concerned about some or mild rubbing I automatically think this person is not going to build this car for competition use, but just wants the look.
I find this statement a little insulting. I didn't build my car for a "look", I just want it to be a good weekend mountain driving car while still being functional as a daily driver. Having tires rubbing on fender liners is the opposite of functional in my mind, for obvious reasons. If I didn't care about my car and raced it, I would just rip out the fender liners and be done with it.

I also just personally advise against running unnecessarily wide wheels because there's no point to it. If you want the wheel to sit a certain way you can get a narrower wheel that will fit better and give you more wiggle room with the offset, then add spacers as needed. Why stretch a 205/45 or 215/45 tire on a 17x8 wheel when it fits perfectly fine on a 17x7? You're just adding more weight and taking away from the performance.

The questions are...

or that..

To actually answer your questions.

1) For a 17x8 wheel I think the ideal tire for performance driving is the widest one you can reasonably fit on there. In my opinion that would be a 245/40. You can see what that would look like here: https://lh3.ggpht.com/_Rp88yFWVAvs/S...640/SSRs_1.jpg

However, as both I and thebmwnut have said, a 245/40 tire will rub on a lowered car with unmodified fenders. And it will rub a lot. I know someone driving in Gridlife that needed to cut the fenders and run wider RSi C6 flares to fit a 245/40 tire on a 17x8 wheel. I'm not sure of his offset though.

As I stated earlier I'm running a 225/45, I'm lowered about 2" and have 1-1.5 degrees of camber all around. It's really the widest wheel and tire combo you can fit reasonably under the stock fenders without compromise. I could easily raise the front of my car about half an inch and have zero rubbing, but my coils are frozen in place and I'm just too lazy to deal with it at this point. If you want to see my car it's here: https://www.fitmentindustries.com/wh...te37-bc-racing

This website is also useful for seeing other cars with different wheel and tire setups and owners can also comment on how much rubbing they have if at all.

2) I think for the kinds of wheels you're looking for, Rotiform and Fifteen52 are the most popular brands out there. But both are going to be pretty heavy cast wheels with thick spokes. I think you really need to consider here whether you want the look or the performance. If you want the look, those two brands right there have plenty of cool styles close to what you like that don't break the bank. If you want the performance, there are a lot of other brands that offer lighter wheels in different styles around the same price.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:51 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Good choice with the Ohlins R&T + Vorshlag camber plates. The Ohlins lower the car a lot, you should get the suspension installed then figure out what wheels and tires work. I'm running 215/45/17 Michelin PS4S on the stock wheels, spaced out 5mm to fit over the JCW calipers, anything bigger would rub on the inside.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:29 AM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Thank you guys very much..
Thebombadier you havent answer in my main question though!!!! :///

1.As i said i will probably have another set of wheel for track use and the reason i would like to have the RSE 17X8 is because thereisnt in 17X7.5!!
2.THE MAIN MAIN QUESTION is to provide me-show me some wheels with MONOBLOCK-CENTERLOCK 17x7.5 or 17X8..Like the wheels i posted above.
I dont need some Brand or talking about the looks..With specific wheels...Is there ANY 17x75 or 17x8 WHEEL OUT THERE THAT LOOKS LIKE CENTERLOCK like the Rotiform RSE... I DONT CARE WHAT BRAND WILL BE. JUST SHOW ME ANY WHEELS that have NO VISIBLE SPOKES!!!
Thank you very much guys!

Old 04-06-2020, 05:39 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear

1.As i said i will probably have another set of wheel for track use and the reason i would like to have the RSE 17X8 is because thereisnt in 17X7.5!!
2.THE MAIN MAIN QUESTION is to provide me-show me some wheels with MONOBLOCK-CENTERLOCK 17x7.5 or 17X8..Like the wheels i posted above.
I dont need some Brand or talking about the looks..With specific wheels...Is there ANY 17x75 or 17x8 WHEEL OUT THERE THAT LOOKS LIKE CENTERLOCK like the Rotiform RSE... I DONT CARE WHAT BRAND WILL BE. JUST SHOW ME ANY WHEELS that have NO VISIBLE SPOKES!!!
Sorry I misunderstood then. You asked about the best tires for 17x8 if you were doing aggressive driving. At least in my mind that's a bit counter intuitive, because again the best tires won't really fit. However if you're absolutely insisting on running a 17x8 wheel I can tell you that you'll probably be able to fit a 215/45 size tire and have a bit of wiggle room on the offset to not hit the wheel on the strut. A 225/45 might fit, but as I've said the fitment is going to be tighter and depending on the specific wheel and tire combo you'll probably need somewhere in the range of a 42-37mm offset, which I don't think will work with a 17x8 wheel as it doesn't allow clearance between the wheel and strut.

I mentioned that Fifteen52 makes look-alike center lock wheels, the Chicane and the Podium specifically. Both are available in 17x7.5 as well, which you could run with a 225/45 tire as I do. And if weight is still a concern, these will still be on the heavy side but they will definitely be lighter than the Rotiforms.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:42 AM
thebmwnut
2nd Gear

You keep saying spokes but I'm getting the impression you mean lug nuts. The common thing I see in the 2 different examples you have is a center cap that covers the lug nuts and looks like a racing center lock wheel meaning, it has 1 large nut holding the wheel on. Just hit me unless you really mean a spoked wheels like a bicycle. We referred to them a a wire wheel or Tru's because the low rider community used the brand Tru Spoke. The end of that was just a history lesson for the young one's reading this. lol

Old 04-06-2020, 07:02 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
I'm also just generally confused by the word "monoblock" used in this thread. I think that's just a marketing term Rotiform and Fifteen52 use for their cast wheels, it doesn't refer to an actual style of wheel. But when I think of their monoblock wheels, I think of a wheel that has little to no lip, the spokes just go right to the edge.

"Monoblock" in reference to the manufacturing process means the wheel is made from a single billet of forged aluminum and CNC cut to shape, far from a cast wheel.

Last edited by thebombardier; 04-06-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:27 AM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Guys..Thank you once again both of you.
YAAAS i mean lug nuts that looks like racing center lock as you said.
English obviously is not my mother language so excuse me :D Thats why i also send 2 links that showing wheels like that.
According 59 Chicane..DUDE im going to puke ALL OVER(it might be good for a Merc 1990(ugly as well)) as far as Podium...I just dont like it.

What other solutions i have??I really cant find wheels without visible LUG NUTS :D

Old 04-08-2020, 04:48 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Only other wheel I can think of like that off the top of my head is the BBS RS.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:11 AM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by thebombardier
Only other wheel I can think of like that off the top of my head is the BBS RS.
Dont like it either...!
You see buddy? Thats my problem i cant find any wheels with a cup that will cover the nuts..!
I really dont know what to do.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:50 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Dont like it either...!
You see buddy? Thats my problem i cant find any wheels with a cup that will cover the nuts..!
I really dont know what to do.
Start a wheel company and make the wheels you like? Idk what else to tell you lol. Or just buy wheels you like and don't care about the downsides.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:37 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
The R128 OEM wheels on my car have a center cap to hide the lugs... They are not the only Mini wheels like that, either.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:52 AM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by thebombardier
Start a wheel company and make the wheels you like? Idk what else to tell you lol. Or just buy wheels you like and don't care about the downsides.
axax honestly? I would love that but too much efford and try for wheels. Most probably i will choose according the total score..Which looks better..What i need etc etc..! I was jsut hoping to find some brands that i havent look yet and i would be able to find what i want.But looks impossible so far.
Either i will go for the Rotiform DTM which looks more aggressive and not a wheel for stance or i will go for the AST DTC which looks sooo good but no center cup:D

Thank you njaremka for the suggestion.None of the mini wheels looks good enough in my eyes.That wheels looks good on a cooper(not even s) for casual driving.

I need a prosche gt3rs wheels 17X7.5 4X100 ET 35-40 with the centercup..Thats impossible though :D
​​​​​​​

Old 04-10-2020, 07:13 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Look at applications on Tire Rack
for your MINI. Specifically...
Enkei PDC, or maybe M52 ($ cast)
Sparco Pro Corsa ($ cast)
or
BBS LM ($$$$ 2-piece forged)
They’re all 17x7.5 ET 40-42 4x100