Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Hole-less and Removable Front Plate Mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 11:24 AM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hole-less and Removable Front Plate Mount

So I park in West Hollywood a lot on the weekends and get a ticket almost every weekend for no front license plate. I tried just sticking the plate in the front window but that doesn't work because it's apparently supposed to be attached to the front of the vehicle. The parking enforcement officers in that city are ***** and I hate them, moving on. Each ticket is $25 and I've obviously grown tired of paying them. I am also NOT going to attach a front plate to Pip. Yeah it's the law in California blah, blah, blah. It looks terrible and I also hate them... not gonna do it.

Therefore I've found a way to quickly attach my plate to my grille when I park and easily remove it when I leave. Thus abiding by their stupid law and saving me money

I grabbed a pair of cotter pins from Lowes and two small washers. Get washers that are large enough to not slip thru the bolt holes on the license plate but have a hole in the middle small enough that the round end of the cotter pin won't slip thru. I found my perfect pair, took them home, JB Welded the washer to the pin. Let it dry.

Now when I park, I just take the plate and clip it to the lower grille! It slips right on and stays. Then when I want to leave just pull it right off leaving no marks and taking only seconds. The cotter pins should be strong enough to stay in place even if you forget to remove the plate and drive off with it.

Anyways, just thought I'd share my innovation haha. Thought someone else might find it useful

Name:  IMG_4242_zps3a12faa5.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  27.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4244_zps956fb118.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4245_zps12160f6e.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  61.3 KB

Old 01-19-2014, 11:32 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

We only have a rear plate here in GA. But the alternative is using the tow hook to mount one.

http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NMX7...Cooper--S-2011

Old 01-19-2014, 11:33 AM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Yes but you can't easily remove the tow hook mount. My goal was to have an option where you can slap the plate on for street parking and remove it quickly for everything else. Also that costs $70, mine cost me $0.68

Old 01-19-2014, 12:00 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
You could install a retractable licence plate mount.

http://www.pfyc.com/GN1046.html

Dave

Old 01-19-2014, 12:15 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
You could but you can still see it when it's retracted, you risk destroying the whole thing if you hit a curb, plus it costs a little more than $0.68.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:06 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Retractable

Pretty cool to have retractable.

Not sure I understand why having a front license plate is a problem. I mean, you would think all states should require it? Just trying to think of benefits?

OK, in my own mind and I don't claim to be sane by any standard I fear accidents all the time. I once totaled a pick up that was less than a month old. T-boned and went spinning through a gas station and damn near took out the pumps. They saw it coming and cut all the pumps off.

Too many near misses and too many severe accidents in my book. The good news they were not my fault. The bad news I still live with the nightmares.

I installed the Blackvue Dash Cam to record everything. And I could see a benefit to having a front plate so I could record it.

Back to my accident, the one where my new Toyota TRD was totaled. The guy was drunk. Left the car to walk back to the trailer park. The cops did nothing. He was sitting on the hood drinking beer. The cops did nothing and I was still in shock. No arrests.

I can think of one reason why a front plate would be a hassle. Bugs and keeping it clean.

For me it is only money. I don't care about the cost as long as it serves the purpose. And looks good. If it looks good it is fine in my book.

Oh yeah, I hate cops. Installed a remote radar detector and looking into laser blocks to **** them off. I don't speed but it is the principal. Told you I am not sane. Cops don't care about safety only revenue. I see many drive here with no lights past dark, do they get pulled over - no. It is the law to drive here in the rain you must have your lights on, do they? Do they get stopped? No. All about the revenue and not about my safety.

The license plate looks great, would look even better with laser blockers attached. What a feeling to be stealth.