Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior R56 Seats into my 04 R53: Installed and pics!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 08:48 AM
ih8cornnuts
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah, for you it should be an easier swap than what was documented here because you're still in the same generation of R56-ish. This swap I did was required as the plugs changed from R53 to R56.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:29 PM
optikon
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I change mine in my PARK LANE. PARK LANE have really nice leather seats but during the summer ... Anyway R56 are more comfortable from my opinion.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:50 PM
ih8cornnuts
4th Gear
Nice job! Yes they are more comfortable and slightly...(only slightly) more supportive. They update the car nicely and have a heavy does for retro that the originals are missing.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Move Over
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ih8cornnuts
Nice job! Yes they are more comfortable and slightly...(only slightly) more supportive. They update the car nicely and have a heavy does for retro that the originals are missing.
I'm getting ready to do the swap this week, i am waiting on the harness from an R56 to try to replug the in car harness rather than the seat plug. Hope it works, in case I want to swap to a different set of R56 seats later on.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:54 AM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Move Over
I'm getting ready to do the swap this week, i am waiting on the harness from an R56 to try to replug the in car harness rather than the seat plug. Hope it works, in case I want to swap to a different set of R56 seats later on.
Did you get this done?

Old 12-01-2017, 10:24 AM
Move Over
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Noonzio
Did you get this done?
I actually did. Glad i did too, so i didn’t have to hack or cut anything. I found the floor side of the harness from a totaled vehicle for 30 bucks for both sides.

Got rid of everything on the r56 harness but the airbag harness and unhitched the old wires from the old (existing) connector. Plugged it in and no lights.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:06 AM
Merlin Mark
Neutral
I need some advice on swapping the opposite, Leather from R53 into leatherette R55

Need advice on wether it is possible to do the opposite easily. I assume it’s in reverse of your steps but wonder if anyone has successfully completed this switch. Should I wait to find a set of leather Clubman seats for my Clubvan or are the 06 S model leather just as good. I want leather with heat and the S are in great shape and heated but hope they will be a desired upgrade I’m looking for.
Merlin

Old 07-05-2018, 11:21 AM
ih8cornnuts
4th Gear
I went from the stock 2004 leatherette which was pretty stiff and cracking in places from 10 years of use. The R56 Leather was a no brainer despite the lack of heat. Although I think the R56 year seats are better than the R53. You should be doing the same steps except the plugs might be a tad different.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:42 PM
CarrboroMini
1st Gear
Seat Fitment

Originally Posted by ih8cornnuts
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Tools needed

Torx Bits T40 and T60
3/8" Ratchet
Pliers
Wirestrippers (optional)
Diagonal Snips
Small Screwdrivers
Knife
Zip Ties
Beer (not shown)

***Remove you negative battery cable and let the car sit for 20-30 minutes. No use having an airbag deploy and ruin your new seats or having a permanently lit airbag light on your dash***

Grab that ratchet and T40 Torx bit and start removing the seat bolts, 4 per seat.

Now tilt the seat back and remove the electrical plugs for the Airbag (yellow) and seat belts (the other two). If you have heated seats there should be another black plug with some heavy gauge wiring. Pull those old seats out and be amazed at the years of crumbs and trash wedged in some of those areas. Take the time to really vacuum out this area. I've always thought I kept a clean car but apparently I dont have a small enough vacuum attachment to really get down in there...note to self!

Mmm tasty...Now you're going to remove the seat belt assembly from your R53 seats. This will installed on the newer R56 seats as the new buckles are different than the earlier models. To remove, use the T60 torx bit. Remember to pull towards you so you dont rack your knuckles on something hard and or sharp. This bolt is held down with blue loctite. Don't worry about all the nastiness in this area, we're going to clean up in a minute.

Now that you have that seatbelt bolt out, it's time to run the wires out. This is easier if you remove the plastic trim on the front and middle portion of the seat. This will open that area enough to easily feed those wires through.

Here is everything you should have removed so far. Seatbelt assembly, bolt and 4 qty seat bolts. Be sure to save that seatbelt bolt, it's a little bit longer than the R56 version and will thread right into the new seats.

Here, we are removing the seatbelts from the R56 seats. Same as above, hold the seat down and prepare to crank on that loctited bolt.

Moving on to the R56 seats. The 1st gen cars used multiple individual plugs, 2nd gen use this "all-in-one" plug. Fortunately the individual plugs are captive within this "master" plug. To separate, use a small flathead screwdriver and press the 2 retainers to slide out the plugs.

They'll come out just like this. You can toss that big ole' yellow plug now.

Now we're going to remove the airbag plug and replace with the plug from our 1st gen airbag. This allows the seat to plug right into the existing wire harness already in your car. There are 2 tiny little pin you press to remove the wires and their "pins".

Cut your old yellow airbag plug from your old seats. In hindsight I should have mended the newer plug to the in-car wiring harness. This way you can sell your old airbags and recoup some of your costs. I wanted to retain as much "stock integrity" as possible so I went this route.

You want to press out the inner plug from your freshly cut airbag connector. Be careful NOT to put your hand or fingers near that open end. The copper contacts are hard and sharp and you will put that SOB right through your finger...ask me how I know

Now that you have that inner plug out, remove that little pink retainer. Set aside so you dont lose it.

We're going to grab that little screwdriver again and press the old pins out. This will open up the pug to accept the new wires. Thankfully Mini kept them the same for stoopid easy swappin' ***Notice those lil bastard copper contacts. Do you really want THAT going into your finger? Me thinks not.

You'll want to trim some of that yellow sheathing from the airbag wire to give you enough room to install the pins. I used a knife and those wire strippers. Secondly, you want to align those pins so those detents grab and wont set your airbag light off in the future.

This is with the pins aligned and about to be installed back into the airbag connector. I left the gray portion out of the plug to ensure the connection would be made. You also want to re-install that little pink connector on the backside of that gray plug. I didn't take a pic because it was so small and easy.

This is the part that will likely cause some some controversy here. On the R53 seat there is a bolt (previously removed) and a pin for alignment of the seat belt assembly. On the R56 seat there is a bent steel "pin" that aligns the seatbelt assembly. I simply bent this piece flat with a pair of pliers and made sure to really crank down on that bolt.

Here we have the bolt installed, feel free to add a drop or two of some loctite to button everything up. I didn't but I might be removing the seats shortly to install heaters and take care of that then. Take car routing the wires through the seat frame. This unit slides on the rails so making the wires taught will limit the seat travel and possibly mess up your plugs/wiring.

Here are a few shots of the wiring, note zip tie location. Now its time to get those fancy new seats in!!!

This is the new seat tilted back with the plugs all attached. Note the airbag plug is in front of the bar, move it behind with the rest of the plugs.

Almost done!!! Time to crank those bolts down. Please clean them before installing, mine had a decent amount of grease on them. Go ahead and reconnect that battery cable and...

Revel in your new seat goodness. If you were used to the hard leatherette from the old seats like me, be prepared to sneak out at night and sit in your new seats naked...just kidding!

Please let me know if there are any questions.
I have a 2003 Mini R53 hatchback. Will these fit in my model?

Old 03-20-2019, 08:16 PM
ih8cornnuts
4th Gear
Yes these instructions are R56 seats in a R53, no changes between the 03 and 04 models

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (03-21-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 04:57 PM
Maximusr53
Neutral
R56 seats in my r53

Followed all the directions however I wanted to add a few things. One, you have to enlarge the holes where the rear seat backs connect to the car. Two, you dont have to swap the seat belts. All you need to do is use a dremel to remove a bit of the plastic on each side of sealt belt buckle so that it goes in farther allowing it to click in. Three, I decided to purchase the seat wiring harness that would be part of the r56. I am purchasing all of these parts from Allmagautoparts.com, they are awesome!

Last edited by Maximusr53; 03-29-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:23 AM
ih8cornnuts
4th Gear
I think the most important tip to this "guide" is that there are 20 ways to skin this cat. I hadn't seen this done before so I was learning as I go. Glad to see these swaps in others vehicles!

Old 04-21-2019, 02:43 PM
Oh Six Mini
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am putting R56 seats into my R50. This thread is great, but what I want to do is simply cut off the R50 wiring harness, wire in the wiring harness from the R56 and plug it into the existing harness on the R56 seat. I've search every forum I can find and cannot find which wires from the R50 to match to the R56. I'm hoping someone can enlighten me. Note the wire colors on the car side are different than the colors on the seat side.

The Drivers side R56 harness has 12 wires:

1. Large gauge Brown
2. Large gauge Green\Violet
3. Green/White
4. Yellow/Grey
5. Green
6. Green/Grey
7 and 8. Brown
9 and 10. Twisted pair - Yellow and Blue/Yellow
10 and 12. Twisted pair - Yellow/Brown and Yellow/Red

Passenger side R56 harness has 13 wires:

1. Large gauge Brown
2. Large gauge Yellow/Red
3. Red/White
4. Yellow/Grey
5. Blue/Grey
6. Green
7. Green/Blue
8 and 9. Brown
10 and 11. Twisted pair - Blue and Brown

12 and 13. Twisted pair - Blue/Green and Green

Here's a picture of the driver's side harness. Hopefully, someone can tell me which wires on the R50 to attach each of these to. Thanks!!!

Old 04-22-2019, 08:22 AM
ih8cornnuts
4th Gear
Looks like you need to reverse it from my wiring and post a new how-to!

Old 04-22-2019, 08:31 AM
Oh Six Mini
1st Gear
That is what I will probably end up doing. I was hoping someone had matched the wires - it would save a lot of time. It will probably be a few weeks, but I will document and post when completed.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:35 PM
BeardedR60
1st Gear
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Sooooo.... sorry in advance for bring this back from the dead... I see a lot of talk of Newer mini seats into older minis.
Has anyone put older mini seats into any newer minis?

Im considering popping the seats from my 2003 Mini into my 2013 Countryman.

I know..... "Why?!?!? Why would you do that?!?!?" lol

Basically, they are real leather, extremely comfortable..... and I'd really like the plastic backs to be in the countryman, since my girlfriends son can't seem to stop kicking the seats. lol
The mesh pockets in the back are nice too, and I'd also like the plastic backs for riveting a tactical mount to the back of the driver's seat. (I do a lot of shooting and competitions)

I know I'd have to figure out harness crap, but can anyone think of any reason why it wouldn't work?

Old 07-08-2019, 01:50 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by BeardedR60
Sooooo.... sorry in advance for bring this back from the dead... I see a lot of talk of Newer mini seats into older minis.
Has anyone put older mini seats into any newer minis?

Im considering popping the seats from my 2003 Mini into my 2013 Countryman.

I know..... "Why?!?!? Why would you do that?!?!?" lol

Basically, they are real leather, extremely comfortable..... and I'd really like the plastic backs to be in the countryman, since my girlfriends son can't seem to stop kicking the seats. lol
The mesh pockets in the back are nice too, and I'd also like the plastic backs for riveting a tactical mount to the back of the driver's seat. (I do a lot of shooting and competitions)

I know I'd have to figure out harness crap, but can anyone think of any reason why it wouldn't work?

I actually prefer the 1st gen seats too, it all comes down to personal preference I guess...

As to making it work, the first question to answer is whether the seat rail is the same size between the R56 and R60. I'm it's guessing it's not, but it could be....check out the parts diagrams for the R56 and R60 on realoem.com to see what you can find.

If the rails are the same, then you should be able to figure out the wiring issues to make it work. If the rails aren't the same, it's going to be a bit more of a challenge, but probably still doable.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:02 PM
Oh Six Mini
1st Gear
I am finally ready to swap the seats in my '06 R50 for seats from an R56. The air bag and Seat Belt contact sensor wires seem pretty straight forward. On the passenger side, the seat belt Tensioner wires seem straight forward, but it looks like the brown wires (ground) do not go to the black wires on the tensioner. (See photo below - sorry for it being so big) I have researched threads and it seems their is a load on the wire that the car monitors. If that is true, it would seem it would be okay if the wires were switched. It is NOT a positive and negative wire which must be correct. On the drivers side, the Black and Yellow wires seem to go to Yellow wire and a Blue/Yellow wire, respectively.

Next issue. The '06 R50 has a passenger seat occupancy sensor connector with three wires. The R56 seems to only have one wire for the seat occupancy sensor. There are six other wires in the harness which I assume all are for heated seats. My R50 did not have heated seats, so I am not going to worry about these. Need to know what to do with the three wires from the R50. (The wires are white/red/yellow, blue/violet and brown/black.)

I have searched the internet for hours looking for the answer and have come up empty. Hopefully, someone can help.

Thanks!

Old 09-04-2019, 08:30 AM
ih8cornnuts
4th Gear
Sold my R53 with this write-up, it's been so long I can't even remember the details to answer Q's about it so I'm unsubscribing. Good luck to the future attempts at this mod.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:51 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Oh Six Mini
I am finally ready to swap the seats in my '06 R50 for seats from an R56. The air bag and Seat Belt contact sensor wires seem pretty straight forward. On the passenger side, the seat belt Tensioner wires seem straight forward, but it looks like the brown wires (ground) do not go to the black wires on the tensioner. (See photo below - sorry for it being so big) I have researched threads and it seems their is a load on the wire that the car monitors. If that is true, it would seem it would be okay if the wires were switched. It is NOT a positive and negative wire which must be correct. On the drivers side, the Black and Yellow wires seem to go to Yellow wire and a Blue/Yellow wire, respectively.

Next issue. The '06 R50 has a passenger seat occupancy sensor connector with three wires. The R56 seems to only have one wire for the seat occupancy sensor. There are six other wires in the harness which I assume all are for heated seats. My R50 did not have heated seats, so I am not going to worry about these. Need to know what to do with the three wires from the R50. (The wires are white/red/yellow, blue/violet and brown/black.)

I have searched the internet for hours looking for the answer and have come up empty. Hopefully, someone can help.

Thanks!
Your best bet for this wiring stuff is turning to a good reference - the Bentley manuals for the R53 and R56 should have the wiring diagrams for these. Alternately, you can see if you can find it online - search for WDS wiring diagrams - it's BMW's wiring diagram references. Good luck tracking it down!

Old 09-11-2019, 04:04 PM
Oh Six Mini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gknorr
Your best bet for this wiring stuff is turning to a good reference - the Bentley manuals for the R53 and R56 should have the wiring diagrams for these. Alternately, you can see if you can find it online - search for WDS wiring diagrams - it's BMW's wiring diagram references. Good luck tracking it down!
I have the R50 Bentley manual, but am having a hard time deciphering it. It wouldn't tell me the R56 wires anyway.

I connected the wires to what I thought was correct after comparing the wires from the two seats. The seat belt light and the airbag light both came on. Still trying to troubleshoot to see if I can find what is wrong.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John Jordan (08-11-2022)
Old 09-12-2019, 09:48 PM
kensic
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the R50 Bentley manual, but am having a hard time deciphering it. It wouldn't tell me the R56 wires anyway.

I connected the wires to what I thought was correct after comparing the wires from the two seats. The seat belt light and the airbag light both came on. Still trying to troubleshoot to see if I can find what is wrong.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
following this thread, as i also have a 06 R50. and will be doing this mod.

its only been 10 days since i own this car, and leatherette oem seat already giving my lower back a hard time. :(

how much did you pay for you seats? and are they lounge ones? thanks

Old 09-13-2019, 06:30 AM
Oh Six Mini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kensic
following this thread, as i also have a 06 R50. and will be doing this mod.

its only been 10 days since i own this car, and leatherette oem seat already giving my lower back a hard time. :(

how much did you pay for you seats? and are they lounge ones? thanks
Kensic, I got the seats from a salvage yard. I am not sure what kind they are, but I only paid $53 for the pair. There was a small rip in the seam on the driver's side, which I used glue to repair. (It looks better in person than in the picture. I think the seats were from a 2008, but I don't remember for sure. I got the seats and the connectors from the car. I connected the wires from the R50 to the R56 connector so I could simply plug it into the seat. If I ever get better seats, I can just plug them in.

The swap was pretty easy. On the driver side, I used a brown wire that led to the heating element instead of the brown that led to the seat belt contact. This cause both the airbag light and the seat belt warning lights to come on. Once I figured out the problem and used the correct brown, all lights went off.

hansvongeldern (08-15-2022)
Old 09-13-2019, 02:27 PM
kensic
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Kensic, I got the seats from a salvage yard. I am not sure what kind they are, but I only paid $53 for the pair. There was a small rip in the seam on the driver's side, which I used glue to repair. (It looks better in person than in the picture. I think the seats were from a 2008, but I don't remember for sure. I got the seats and the connectors from the car. I connected the wires from the R50 to the R56 connector so I could simply plug it into the seat. If I ever get better seats, I can just plug them in.

The swap was pretty easy. On the driver side, I used a brown wire that led to the heating element instead of the brown that led to the seat belt contact. This cause both the airbag light and the seat belt warning lights to come on. Once I figured out the problem and used the correct brown, all lights went off.

WOW thank you for this! will come in hand when i find a set. ill check junk yards too.

can you give some reviews on the new seats? comfort? how does it hold it? differences that you feel between the too.

which kind of seats was the original? leatherette sport ones im assumming?

Old 09-13-2019, 03:30 PM
Oh Six Mini
1st Gear
I have only had the seats in and the car running for a few days. Seats are great. They are roomier and more comfortable than the originals. There is probably even less room in the backseat as these are a little bit bigger, but I am 6' 2" tall so there is no room in the backseat when I am driving anyway. The original seats were the leatherette sport seats. The passenger side is still like new. The driver's side was worn out. The car has 191,200 miles on her.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior R56 Seats into my 04 R53: Installed and pics!