Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Lipsticked Mini GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:36 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lipsticked Mini GT3

Thinking about "lipsticking" my 2012 MC similar to the Porsche GT3's. I've already installed factory Mini orange side mirrors and factory Mini orange British flag side scuttles.

I'm looking for something close to this Porsche GT3 look with a Gulf Oil light blue and orange theme.

The 2012 Non-S has a very large lower grill surround and I'm afraid if I do the whole thing in orange it will be too much. Don't want an orange botoxed butter mouth perch Mini!

So I found this picture of another members MC with the exterior chrome package. The lower grill chrome piece is much thinner and just covers part of the grill surround.

I'm thinking the way to go will be to order the lower MC chrome grill surround and paint or vinyl it in orange for the look I'm after.

In this schematic of the MC front bumper they list the chrome lower grill surround as item #4. Does anyone know how hard it is to install this piece? Does it just slide/snap in? How about the chrome fog light rings listed as #5? They might be a nice touch in orange too.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Dare to be different. Go for it. Do it with plasti dip Blaze orange

Old 04-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Then if you don't like it you can remove it.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Great idea! Is the Plasti-Dip orange a good match to factory Mini orange side mirrors? Is it gloss or flat?

I used Rustoleum Etching Primer, Orange Enamel and Clearcoat on my Auto-X wheels, but I had to "sand" the chrome. Wouldn't have to do that with the Plasti-Dip:

Do you know if the lower chrome grill surround just snaps in without having to disassemble the entire front bumper?

Old 04-22-2013, 12:36 PM
gerry2153
4th Gear
I think Plastidip also has a glossy topcoat ....

Old 04-22-2013, 12:45 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gerry2153
I think Plastidip also has a glossy topcoat ....
You're right. I see that on their site. If the color match is good Plasti-Dip won't waste the chrome finish if I don't like it. Will be checking out their orange for sure.

I just read a post that the H-Stock Auto-X wheel rules may change to allow 15"D x 6.5"W wheels. My current Hollies are only 5.5"W and may not be the best setup . Oh well, I'm new to Auto-X so I can start with what qualifies now and swap later after I see if I'm competitive...

Still looking for input on how the chrome lower grill surround is installed???

Last edited by BlackIce; 04-22-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:27 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
I see the exterior chrome package also has a surround for the reverse lights (item #4), so I will add that as well.

ADDED MAY 8, 2013:
I had to edit this because none of this stuff is a direct install except "maybe" the front fog light rings (waiting to hear from another member that installed them).

THE FRONT LOWER GRILL CHROME LINE PIECE REQUIRES A DIFFERENT PAINTED SURROUND, DIFFERENT GRILL AND DIFFERENT CENTER CHROME BAR. SO JUST TO GET THE EXTERIOR CHROME RING AROUND THE LOWER GRILL IT'S ABOUT $400 RETAIL/$275 DISCOUNTED, PLUS PAINT FOR THE NEW SURROUND. (NOT GONNA HAPPEN!)

THE REAR FOG LIGHT CHROME SURROUND WOULD NOT INSTALL ON A NON-EXTERIOR CHROME LINE MINI EITHER.

THESE FINDINGS KILLED THE LIPSTICK IDEA COLD...

Last edited by BlackIce; 05-08-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Corrections
Old 04-28-2013, 05:13 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Ordered up the the front lower grill and rear reverse light surrounds... (ERASED)

ADDED MAY 8, 2013:
Returned order for reasons above.

Last edited by BlackIce; 05-08-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 AM
InMyMini
2nd Gear
Make sure you take picture of the install process and do a write up for us that may want to follow in your footsteps

Old 05-02-2013, 04:46 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Originally Posted by InMyMini
Make sure you take picture of the install process and do a write up for us that may want to follow in your footsteps
I hope removing the front and rear bumper covers isn't that difficult. Here's the easiest way I've found to remove the front bumper on a R56:

Yeah, I was a little disappointed with that one as well...

Here's some other threads/write-ups I came across:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...placement.html

The Alta Performance .PDF file listed in that should be helpful.

http://www.totehmoon.com/blog/?p=738

Will do what I can to outline the install on a R56 Non-S.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:25 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Shouldn't have to remove bumpers for those pieces to be installed.....

Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Shouldn't have to remove bumpers for those pieces to be installed.....
That is what I've been wanting to hear!

Please tell me how to install them without removing the bumper skin.

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:09 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Decided to create my own new Mini Cooper model, the "COOPER GT"

This will be the GP's little brother. My custom side stripes arrived today.

Had Adam at Benini Design in New York (newyorkautographics) make up a pair with orange outlines where the red is on the 2013 GP's. The exterior chrome package oranged-out along with factory Mini orange British flag side scuttles and orange mirror caps, plus this custom COOPER GT side stripes will complete the package.

Now all I have to do is "tat" the boot under the license plate with "COOPER GT" like the new COUNTRYMAN and PACEMAN...

Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
After watching this video on how to install side stripes...

...I decided to give it a try myself. Bought a Black Magic window tint kit ($10 at Wally World) and a roll of masking tape.

Positioned the bottom of the stripes 3" from the lower door edge to match the Mini GP height. Because I've never done this before, I put runs of tape alone the bottom and top (not pictured) to insure the right position once the backing was peeled off. The soapy spray allows you to move the strip around easily.

Waited about a half hour before peeling off the top layer, then ran my finger down on the stripe at the door jams to indent the stripe just a little bit. Resting a finger in that groove I cut the stripe right in the center of the door gaps and wrapped the stripe around all the edges. The Black Magic tint kit had a professional quality angled rubber squeegee in it (very nice). I used it to tuck the stripe into the indent next to the wheel aches and trimmed it with the blade that also came with the kit.

Here's a preliminary photo. It's raining in sunny SoCal today.

I'll get some better photos up after the grill and reverse light surrounds are on. Those two pieces are scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

PS: These stripes are made of Avery A6 vinyl and I paid the extra to have them laminated. I have been told it is worth it for longevity and ease of installation. They did go on easily and without bubbles. The majority of time was spent setting up the alignment.

Last edited by BlackIce; 05-06-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
looks good.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
Looks really good, don't do the **** up front, keep it as is

Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Thanks gents. Waffling on the Gulf Oil with Checkered Flag stickers if that's what got blocked (or some version thereof ). May do an orange Gulf Oil circle on the gas fill . Just the thin orange surround up front on the lower grill and in back on the below bumper center lights to go, then maybe a windshield top visor stripe of some type. Possibly tinted checkers with - Black Ice - name sake, who knows...

Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
It's looking like adding exterior chrome line parts is more trouble than it is worth. Received the lower front chrome grill surround, but it appears to need a different painted surround for it to attach to. If that's the only other piece that is different, then THAT piece can be done in orange and I can leave the chrome, chrome! That would be sweet IF...

But, it's not clear to me that that is all that has to change. The chrome line grill itself appears to have a different part number, as does the grill chrome center bar???

Now I'm totally confused. Maybe this is common on Mini's but most other cars don't have so many different parts.

Not even sure if the rear chrome line surround for the center fog lights or backup lights (not sure what they are?) will fit right on or not either.

I'm going to have to hit the dealer to see what it really takes for the change I'm looking for. I believe there is something called a (518270?) Retrofit, Chrome Line Exterior. More research is needed before sending these parts back if they won't work.

If anyone has experience here please chime in. My head is spinning. Thx.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool project you have going. Not surprised that your head is spinning... When my MINI got whacked by a Trail Blazer back in December, I decided to go for the JCW front bumper. I was shocked at how long it took the body shop to finish it and if I had a nickel for every time the guy told me, "MINI sent the wrong parts" the job would have been free.

In reality, he was learning the hard way about all the different parts involved.

And yeah, that 2012 lower grille is A LOT larger than my original '08. Yours also doesn't have that new "crease". Is that because it's the chrome line?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:03 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Yes, the 2008 and 2012 are different, as is the 2013. Not sure where a year change occured, but it looks like mid 2010 or 2011.

To update a base 2012 Cooper with the Exterior Chrome Line lower grill chrome piece you have to buy lots of new parts: chrome piece, painted surround, grill & chrome center bar. This 518270 Retrofit, Chrome Line Exterior shows all the parts needed. Way too much stuff and costs for me.

The good news is I can add the front and rear chrome fog light rings (I think?), so that is what I will accent in orange, and possibly the front lower grill center bar as well to tie the theme together.

Switching gears and going from orange "lipstick" to orange "rosie cheek" fake air inlets (running lights in the this Justa's case) with a possible orange tongue center bar!

Last edited by BlackIce; 05-08-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:16 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
Cool project you have going. Not surprised that your head is spinning... When my MINI got whacked by a Trail Blazer back in December, I decided to go for the JCW front bumper. I was shocked at how long it took the body shop to finish it and if I had a nickel for every time the guy told me, "MINI sent the wrong parts" the job would have been free.

In reality, he was learning the hard way about all the different parts involved.
I feel for him. What a PITA! Had to return everything I ordered. Waiting on another members response to using just the Fog Light Chrome Accent Rings on my base Cooper with running lights...

If that can be done, then that is what I will probably accent with. Whew! Ran the whole Green Mile and got the call just in time.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:08 PM
mini562
2nd Gear
Loving my custom orange I mixed up but brake dust is a pain.
Lipsticked Mini GT3-image-1659795071.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 06-01-2013, 03:47 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Okay, I got the confirm that the fog light surrounds from the exterior chrome package WILL mount on without much work, so I ordered them up.

Also found a real close match for Mini Orange, it's Rust-oleum Safety Orange #7555. If the color matches the cap then the match will be sweet!

Time to paint them up...

Old 06-09-2013, 02:58 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Paint came out great and is a good match.

Now I have to figure out how to install them...

Old 06-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Kirby11
5th Gear
Can't wait to see put together! I painted the brake ducts my 2011 orange and the little pop of color on the lower bumper works really well with the mirrors.

BTW another good match for the MINI orange mirrors is Rustoleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X in Real Orange. I clearcoated it and it's held up well so far, but "High performance enamel" sounds like it might be more durable. Good find!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Lipsticked Mini GT3