Interior/Exterior Steering Wheel Cover from Redlinegoods

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 02:18 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Steering Wheel Cover from Redlinegoods

My mother-in-law got me a gift certificate to Redlinegoods for christmas, which I used to buy a steering wheel cover. I installed it back in January, but I'm finally getting around to posting pictures.

It turned out pretty well, but it made me very very glad I don't have to work in a sweatshop. My back hurt and my fingers hurt and I don't know if I would do it again. I love the feel of it compared to the JCW wheel, but man it was a lot of work.

I got the additional padding and left the old leather in place. As a result, it's a pretty fat wheel. I think if you just got leather and no padding it would be about the same as the JCW wheel. With the padding it's huge, but it's also really comfortable to my hands and the leather feels amazing.

Old wheel:

Loosely fitted on the wheel:

You can see the padding material on the upper part of the wheel and sticking out around the side spokes:

Finished product:

The stitching isn't perfect, but it turned out well enough.

On an unrelated note, I was thinking I was tired of the carbon fiber spokes and was going to go back to the stock matte black, but it didn't work out so well. The vinyl pulled the finish right off the spoke.

One last note--the stitching color is dark red and matches the Pure Red seats perfectly, so if you're trying to color match, dark red is your best bet.