Interior/Exterior Seat Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 AM
R60All4
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Replacement

Ive got a spare Recaro shell seat that I want in my Countryman. I detest how high the stock seat sits. How do I go about doing so? I've yet to come across a base/mount or an airbag module.
I come from Japanese tuning cars so, I'm accustomed to having these 2 parts readily available. The seat was previously installed in my Civic then in my WRX. The civic was easy, ordered the base from somewhere, no airbag harness/jumper needed as there was only the steering wheel airbag. The WRX needed a wiring adapter that was approximately 70$ at the time to not give me a warning on the dash.
Anybody who can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:39 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
There will be several connectors under the seat that you'll have to account for, including the airbag, pyrotechnic pretentioner/seatbelt, and heater if you have one. If you disconnect the airbag light, you'll disable the whole airbag system. You can ohm out the seat to find out the correct resistance and jump the terminals. I don't know what it is on second-gen cars. on first gen, it's 4 ohms.

As you can see, putting a racing shell in a modern street car is pretty involved--you better be very motivated to do it. Also, if it is really a FRP shell, without seatback reinforcement from a roll cage, it's not designed to survive a rear impact and you can find (what's left of) yourself in the lap of the driver who rear-ended you.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:38 PM
R60All4
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I detest the driver seat, it sits high and on my frequent trip of 700 miles 1 way, my knee makes me limp for a day or so after sitting.
Option 1- Install new seat Recaro Profi or BRIDE GIAS Reclinable.
Option 2- sell the car

Appreciate the safety advisory, most people arent familiar with that or the awkwardness of a shell seat, but having used them for 10 years in daily drivers, I guess it its a preference.

I see you are a vendor, do you know if the OEM Recaro for the Hardtop will fit and if so, is it lower?

Old 01-25-2013, 02:23 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
The factory JCW Recaros are just a replacement set of cushions and covers that install on the standard seat frame.

There is a "real" Recaro OEM seat available in Europe. It looks like it's lower and I don't know if it fits a Countryman, but very expensive. Orangecrush purchased them and documented its installation:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-bad-news.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...new-seats.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...a-go-done.html