Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Replacing rear quarter panels, any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:21 AM
cezo823
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing rear quarter panels, any experience?

I've got some decent rust forming around the tail lights on a 02 R50 (BRG) that I just picked up. Didn't think that it was that bad until I started taking it to body shops to get it quoted.
Playing around online I found some replacement, used, quarter panels in "very good" shape.
I'm pretty handy but I know my limitations. I'm wondering if anyone knows how these are fastened, bolts/screws, some expoxy, welding? From what I can see looking at the individual quarter panel online, it doesn't seem to be part of the structure of the the car, but the online pictures also SUCK, so I'm optimistically guessing.
They did a good job at hiding all of this and before I dig in too much I thought that I would check here. I don't really want to start taking parts off until I'm committed to changing out the panels.

Thanks in advance,

Cesar

Old 08-31-2012, 07:35 AM
leaf_fan_1988
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My Owner's manual says (where it lists the warranties) that the body work is covered for 12 years against rusting straight through. So double check with a dealer and see if they'll fix it under warranty.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:59 AM
cezo823
1st Gear
Thanks, I don't have the warranty book so that is very helpful info! I'll call now.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:30 AM
cezo823
1st Gear
Thanks, I don't have the warranty book so that is very helpful info! I'll call now.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:29 PM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
They are glued or welded, had to have one of mine replaced twice. (deer and dump truck)

-Chase

Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 AM
cezo823
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chaseabryant
They are glued or welded, had to have one of mine replaced twice. (deer and dump truck)

-Chase
Sucks! That pretty much makes it a NON DIY Job

On top of that I got a call from Mini yesterday, the warranty was only for 6 years. So no go there.

Looking at $1300-1900 in repair, just for the tail light area. Ouch

Old 09-12-2012, 08:57 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by chaseabryant

-Chase
+1, how bad is the rust formation? Any rust anywhere else?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-12-2012, 09:13 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
write 'orangecrush' and I suspect he will be able to tell you.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:56 PM
cezo823
1st Gear
The rust is pretty bad under the DS tail light from about three inches up all the way around the bottom and about an inch and some change wide. The PS tail light has a spot towards the top about the size of a dollar bill folded in half. UGLY.

There is some other minor rust, bottom of DS door, bottom of the hatch and a few other minor spots which is pretty much expected for a car that is a DD in the midwest, but the tail light stuff is bad. Definitely ignored by the previous owners, what a shame.

If I get time at home I'll try to upload some pictures, can't access any photo sharing sites from my work pc.

Thanks for the info, I'll write orangecrush and see whats up

Old 09-14-2012, 05:55 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cesar,

The quarters are welded on. My suggestion before you do anything is to soda blast or grind (depending on how bad the rest is.. pics would help) the paint off as far as necc.

If the rust in say around the taillight only, there is no way I'd put an entire quarter on. Whether you put on a 5' piece of metal or 12", you're going to have to weld so you may as well only do a section cut.

The advantage of doing that is you could probably find a used quarter in a junkyard that is damaged and cut off the piece you need. (assuming you need the taillight pocket)

We had to repair another member's mini and that is exactly what we did. We bought a used qtr that was damaged above the wheel well. Since we only needed the taillight section, we just cut the piece we needed and did what I suggested to you earlier.

HTH's,

Mark

Old 10-03-2016, 02:03 PM
otto_my_way
1st Gear
I don't know if this is an active thread, but I suppose it is now... I just performed a repair in these exact same areas on my '03 MCS. The rust was not apparent when I bought the car in January of '16, but through the summer and some car washes it started to rear its ugly bubbly head, to the point of coming right through on both sides. I tried to ignore it for a while (mind you I've not even had the car a year yet) and just couldn't. I contemplated buying a couple of junk quarter panels but my Mini is on a strict budget under life and my motorcycle... So, while the car was off the road recently awaiting a starter and exhaust system I delved into the repair.

I started by removing the paint using a coarse wire wheel on an angle grinder, followed by a paint removal disc and flappy wheel. Next I cut out the offending sections using a wafer wheel. I had to come back some ways on the DS to get into solid metal that was thinned by the rot, and underestimated the size on the PS. Next I used CAD (cardboard aided design) to fabricate a patch, cut the patch from galv'd 20g from Eastwood, trimmed and started tacking it in place. I managed to get it tacked all the way round on the PS until I started burning through no matter how low I set the MIG. So I had to cut that patch out and start again. I found myself in the same situation on the DS but decided to run with it as body filler hides all mistakes. I used a pick body hammer to form the recess in the patch panel (no small task) and ended up with a decent (IMHO) looking repaired quarter panel. Unfortunately I don't take pictures as I go, but will take a couple of pictures of where I am now if anyone is interested.

Cheers.