Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Wood interior trim kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 02:53 PM
jtpryan
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wood interior trim kit

Anybody know how makes a nice one? Are they difficult to install? I have the "Hidden door" on the passenger side.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:12 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
there are a number of threads over int the Modification section for this subject.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:46 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I e-mailed edashkit.dom twice about their kits, quality, and where I could see a sample. NO response. Guess that tells me what I wanted to know. Their "auxilary "kit could be just what I want, but with that kind of answer, well, I guess I am keeping my piano black.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:55 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tvrgeek
I e-mailed edashkit.dom twice about their kits, quality, and where I could see a sample. NO response. Guess that tells me what I wanted to know. Their "auxilary "kit could be just what I want, but with that kind of answer, well, I guess I am keeping my piano black.
Car ID has some good ones. There are pictures of mine in the galery.

Jim

Old 06-28-2010, 02:37 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Jim,
Those would seem to be the same pieces. Super. Maybe we could meet up sometime this summer. I can make an excuse for me to take a long Sunday drive. ( I am way the heck down in Bowie). Again, it is the "addition to main kit" that is just what I am looking for.
http://www.carid.com/2009-bmw-mini-c...tem-67618.html

Old 06-28-2010, 03:53 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Jim,
Those would seem to be the same pieces. Super. Maybe we could meet up sometime this summer. I can make an excuse for me to take a long Sunday drive. ( I am way the heck down in Bowie). Again, it is the "addition to main kit" that is just what I am looking for.
http://www.carid.com/2009-bmw-mini-c...tem-67618.html
I'm sure we could work something out. I rather like the kit. I was only going to go wiht the kit you are talking about, but I needed the part for the center stack and it is part of the other kit (I think they do that on purpose). There are way more parts then I would ever use, so I have a number of them left over. I am happy with the look and the product is well made. Tricky to install, but good.

Jim

Old 07-06-2010, 07:11 PM
slopeslider
1st Gear
Jim the kit looks great! Did you go with a real wood kit? Did you have to bend the pieces get the proper fit? What install tips do you have? Thanks!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:23 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by slopeslider
Jim the kit looks great! Did you go with a real wood kit? Did you have to bend the pieces get the proper fit? What install tips do you have? Thanks!
I went with the fake wood due to cost and not being sure how it was going to work out. You should do it in the summer and leave the kit in the attic for a few days, so the parts get very soft and bendable (They say you can use a heat gun, but that did not work well for me). The next most inportant thing is to clean the surface very well. When you think it is really clean, then clean it again. The outside edges are very important. They provide little sticks that have a liquid to make the adheasive bond better. Use them around all the edges of the surface you are mounting to. It is a two person job, so get some help. The only hard ones are the large, lower parts of the oval. Line it up, then get someone to hold one end (keeping it linds up and square) while you slowly pull the backing (a little at a time) and apply the opposite end. They will flex a little if you get off a bit. Go slow, as you only get ONE shot at applying them.

Jim

Old 07-07-2010, 12:52 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Jim,

If you are going to make the picnic, I'll see you then.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:27 PM
slopeslider
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jbewley
I went with the fake wood due to cost and not being sure how it was going to work out. You should do it in the summer and leave the kit in the attic for a few days, so the parts get very soft and bendable (They say you can use a heat gun, but that did not work well for me). The next most inportant thing is to clean the surface very well. When you think it is really clean, then clean it again. The outside edges are very important. They provide little sticks that have a liquid to make the adheasive bond better. Use them around all the edges of the surface you are mounting to. It is a two person job, so get some help. The only hard ones are the large, lower parts of the oval. Line it up, then get someone to hold one end (keeping it linds up and square) while you slowly pull the backing (a little at a time) and apply the opposite end. They will flex a little if you get off a bit. Go slow, as you only get ONE shot at applying them.

Jim
Thanks!

Old 07-07-2010, 01:56 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by slopeslider
Thanks!
No problem. One other thing I forgot. I had no problems with any of the parts sticking a staying stuck EXCEPT for the passanger's dash cover. The top, left side tends to lift for some reason. I got them to send me a replacement part and it did the same thing. I solved the problem and you might not have the problem, but if you should I just put some glue under it, taped it down with masking tape and let dry.

Jim

Old 07-07-2010, 01:57 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Jim,

If you are going to make the picnic, I'll see you then.
Sorry, but I won't make that one.

Jim