Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior E-Brake Handle Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:06 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-Brake Handle Replacement

I've been poking around the various forums looking for some guidance on replacing interior components, but have mainly uncovered discussions/instructions for the Mk I vehicles, not the Mk II.

When I purchased the vehicle used, my '09 JCW Clubman already had the alcantara/leather steering wheel upgrade, complete with a "JCW" carbon fiber insert at the 6-o'clock position (other two positions were ostensibly irreplaceable due to the radio/cruise controls). However, it still has the stock shifter **** and e-brake handle. Why someone went to the trouble of upgrading the steering wheel, and didn't bother with the other "driver" controls is a bit of a mystery to me...

Nevertheless, I've been contemplating doing this myself. At the moment I kind-of fancy the matching JCW alcantara shift **** & e-brake handle. I'm happy to leave the existing leather boots in place as (1) it's less work; (2) it's not as expensive as replacing the ****, e-brake handle, and the boots; and (3) keeping the existing leather boots kind-of ties the shifter/e-brake in with the leather in the JCW steering wheel. About the only thing that I wonder about with that set-up is how well the alcantara on these other components (and in particular, the shift ****) will wear, given the more direct handling they tend to get (steering wheel isn't as much of a concern for me, as I seem to routinely use a 2/10-o'clock hold on the steering wheel, and the alcantara covers more of the 12/6-o'clock regions of the wheel)?

From what I understand from other threads, the shift **** is relatively simple (although not necessarily easy): just pull up and hopefully it will "pop" off without Herculean effort. Not exactly clear about whether I need to clear/separate the boot from the ****, however. Some threads seem to imply the **** and boot are separate; others seem to claim the whole thing will come apart (potentially tearing the boot) if you don't take care to first separate the boot from the ****. So a little clarification there would be appreciated!

However, there doesn't seem to be much out there regarding the e-brake handle for the Mk II vehicles. What's the scoop there...? A cursory examination of the handle didn't reveal any obvious screws or releases to me, so I was reluctant to tinker too much before knowing where the potential pitfalls might be.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Doug W
Former Vendor
I recommend separating the boot from the console before yanking the **** from the lever. Then you can separate the shift **** from the boot; be advised, it's a PIA to get them apart.

The ebrake handle R&R is an easy 5-minute job; it's the same as on a 1st Generation car.

Last edited by Doug W; 05-17-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:10 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
The Gen 2 eBrake removal is a little easier than the Gen 1 IMO. If you have plastic body tools (to avoid scratches) that is best, but it can be done with two flathead screwdrivers too.

Just insert the driver on one side, near middle, of the plastic piece that the eBrake boot is attached to. Then put a second one into the other side and it will pop right out for you.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Red-Mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to redline goods and if you select your model that have installation instruction for gear shift and boots and e brake handles see sample -http://www.redlinegoods.com/MINI07install.shtm

Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
I just pulled on the shift **** and it pulled the ****, boot and trim ring off all at once, which was perfect because I installed the Craven shift well cover.