Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior SUCCESS! Rear view mirror removal AND replacement installed...lots of pics.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 07:13 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
No... Never did cover that hole... I'd think a MINI badge or decal might look good.
​​

Old 06-23-2018, 10:36 AM
scottyb043
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for this thread. Gave me the courage to fix this annoying detail. 99% of my driving is downtown. At 5' 11" I have a hell of time seeing pedestrians and traffic lights with the factory mirror in the way.

I decided to go straight for the hot rod look. Managed to find a basic 8" x 2.5" mirror at the local auto parts store. I used the adhesive strip as well as screwed the base right to the top of the cluster, and so far there is no real issues with vibrations etc. Nice and solid. Easily as solid as the original mount.

The view out the back is perfectly fine. Since its a Clubman, there was always the split door portion blocked, but since the car is so low to the ground and basically everything else on the road is taller than it, the mirror is ever so slightly pointing up rather than down if it were on the headliner. Still can pick up cars at least 85% of the distance back as I could with it up high. More importantly, other than the cover for the rain/daylight sensor (I removed my parking pass after the photo), the windshield is completely unobstructed, from the top clear to the bottom, including the hoodline. It is perfect!

As a side benefit, I can also now keep an eye on my toddler in the backseat.

Attached Thumbnails SUCCESS!  Rear view mirror removal AND replacement installed...lots of pics.-aby8qtf4t96rcj3fkbc6zw.jpg   SUCCESS!  Rear view mirror removal AND replacement installed...lots of pics.-vn6bma2yrvkai7z6qlmfqw.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
anew742 (07-08-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 12:42 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Nice work Scotty. I too considered mounting a mirror on the dash.

And yes, I remember the revelation at being able to SEE thru all that extra windshield. Made a big difference.

Glad I could help
-

Bill

Old 08-14-2018, 01:07 PM
Rob Hunt
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I made a 3D model in Fusion 360 for a 1st gen mini rearview mirror blanking plate (mine is an 06, not sure if it'll fit other prefacelift cars or not). You should be able to get this 3D printed out of ABS plastic. I am going to design another one with an adapter to hold an aftermarket radio's bluetooth mic, that one is proving much more difficult to make.

Let me know if anyone here is interested in the Fusion 360 file so they can have it printed.

This is what my rearview mirror bracket looks like, if yours is the same this blanking plate should work.

squawSkiBum (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 02:34 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Nice work Rob. Thanks.

-

Bill

Old 09-24-2018, 08:43 AM
Rob Hunt
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I have (almost) completed my rearview mirror delete project. Only thing missing is a slightly longer black bolt to replace the factory silver one.
Had this model printed at Shapeways using their nylon plastic option in black. It's very strong/durable, it'll hold up to very high heat as well. The resolution of the print is incredible. Cost was $33
If i wanted it even smoother and blacker, i could sand, bondo, and paint it black.

Bluetooth mic wire hanging down

Mic held in using blutack

Mic has to be far enough out that the repeaters (holes on the side of the mic) are exposed

Kinda wish i didnt countersink the hole in the 3D model so i could have used a snazzy allen head bolt

Old 06-14-2019, 08:43 PM
Rated_R
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is an old thread and all but I wanted to share a different idea to "delete" the mirror mount. Use the top of a spray paint can.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:20 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Neat idea...thanks for that.

Originally Posted by Rated_R
I know this is an old thread and all but I wanted to share a different idea to "delete" the mirror mount. Use the top of a spray paint can.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:57 AM
J Kassab
Neutral
Mirror sensors

How did you remove the sensors in the mirror and where did you place them? In order for me to install a rear view mirror as a reverse camera monitor I was told my a mini dealer that only a clip on mirror could be used. They also told me the 2 sensors in the car (based on my vin) are the day/night headlight sensor and the sensor for the key fob to lock and unlock the doors.

Originally Posted by wsalopek
This is what I did today...took about 4 hours...would take much less time (1 hour?) if I didn't have to figure a lot out. I must say a BIG thanks to cjmadura, as he got me most of the way thru it (he did not install a replacement mirror).

1) removed my rear view mirror,

2) got the remote-receiver circuit board out of the mirror housing,

3) placed it up in the headliner, and then,

4) installed a $15 replacement day/night mirror that is virtually 100% out of the way of the view thru the windshield.

THE VIEW IS AWESOME.

I'd post all the pics and instructions here...but I see that I can only post 3 pics per posting...so I put it all in a Picassa web album...I hope to figure out how to put the whole process here (advice please?).

Enjoy:

REAR VIEW MIRROR REMOVAL

Old 03-27-2020, 11:22 AM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Neutral,

My car didn't have any of those sensors (I have a 2009 base model).

--

Bill

Old 03-30-2020, 02:00 AM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Hello guys im a bit curious.
1.Besides the "clean" view is there any other reason that you delete the interior mirror?
2.How do you manage to replace the view of your back?Camera or you just use the side mirrors?

Old 03-30-2020, 02:44 PM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Staxtis,

It's all about the clean view. Some folks have more trouble with the obstructed view than others...it seems that folks who live in rolling terrain notice the obstruction more because it's when the road is changing from down to up, or level to up, and esp if that also involves a right turn, that the obstruction has the most negative affect.

I'm the OP...it's been a long time since I did the mod (11 years!)...so I can hardly remember what it was like with that big rear-view mirror in the way, but I've always been quite happy with the improvement in the view out the windshield.

My original post contained all the pictures as well, but Picasaweb was deleted by Google several years ago (and replaced by Google Photos), but that photo album was lost.

To see out the back, I placed a ($8) different mirror up higher...I still get an excellet view out the back. Let me see if I can find my picture. OK...here ya go:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RVYyH466SyobCJQg6

JDS15 (09-10-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 02:00 AM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I see.
But if i also decide to remove the mirror i wouldnt like to pu any other mirror.
So my preferable solution would be to connect a camera.I also do that i would have to connect it either im in reverse or on the move in order to watch my back.Side mirrors is a different view and not as the center view.
Do you know if there is a ny solution of that?
Thank you

Old 03-31-2020, 09:16 AM
wsalopek
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Staxtis
I see.
But if i also decide to remove the mirror i wouldnt like to pu any other mirror.
So my preferable solution would be to connect a camera.I also do that i would have to connect it either im in reverse or on the move in order to watch my back.Side mirrors is a different view and not as the center view.
Do you know if there is a ny solution of that?
Thank you
No I'm not familiar with that kind of thing...never went down that road.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:57 PM
JDS15
Neutral
Great idea. The link to the Picasa album is dead- any chance you could post them somewhere else? Thanks a lot! James

Old 11-04-2020, 03:55 PM
Tronix
1st Gear
Was it easy to open the mirror? Are the plastic covers held by clips or screws?

I'm thinking of changing the original mirror with one that has a screen built-in for rearview camera. Will unplugging the dimming sensor trigger an error?