Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Filling a blank Toggle (switch)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:12 AM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Filling a blank Toggle (switch)

So I didn't get the rear fog lamps. I ordered the "4th and 5th brake lamp retro fit thingy" but still have a blank on the interior. any suggestions on what to do? i don't wanna take it apart and add the toggle, lemme rephrase that, i want a switch badly but don't wanna install it or pay anyone

so suggestions?

Old 05-05-2009, 07:23 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this sounds really weird, but what I wound up doing on my first MINI was to understand the toggle bank as simply a blank panel of switches...it was setup for the specific equipment I chose to have on my car....and if toggles were missing it was because I opted out intentionally. Plain, simple, honest...it got me past even wanting all the toggles.

That said....when I ordered my next MINI, yeah, I got all the toggles except the sunroof, but then I don't want a sunroof!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 08:26 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have just one missing; the rear fog lamp. I bought the actual toggle switch on eBay many years ago, just to fill in that blank space with a fake switch, but I never had the courage to try and install it. I'm worried about messing the toggle bank up. If there were a really nicely illustrated how-to on this subject, I might consider the surgery...

Old 05-05-2009, 09:57 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jrcsh6
So I didn't get the rear fog lamps. I ordered the "4th and 5th brake lamp retro fit thingy" but still have a blank on the interior. any suggestions on what to do? i don't wanna take it apart and add the toggle, lemme rephrase that, i want a switch badly but don't wanna install it or pay anyone

so suggestions?
Search is you friend here on NAM, THis has been discussed more time than i can count on both hands. if you search you will find al the answers you need about this situation.

But to wrap up over 100 posts, you basically have two choices

1. Live with the missing toggle
2. Install the toggle switch.

It is not a hard job but is a little time consuming.

BTW if you do install the switch it will cost you about 100-120 dolloars for the parts and a few hours labor and the you will still have to take it to the dealer for programing if you want it to work

Old 05-05-2009, 11:45 AM
santero
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been thinking of replacing my regular side mirrors with powered ones and installing a covered toggle switch where the rear fog would go. I'd also make the mirrors fold-in when I lock the car.

Attached Thumbnails Filling a blank Toggle (switch)-toggle-20switch-202.jpg  
Old 05-05-2009, 01:49 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by santero
I've been thinking of replacing my regular side mirrors with powered ones and installing a covered toggle switch where the rear fog would go. I'd also make the mirrors fold-in when I lock the car.
Problem there.

There is no room to put a regular switch in that position. These are all momentary contact board switches. The toggle you have show or any like that will not be able to be mounted there. Any cutting of the circuit board behind the toggle (only a small fraction of an inch) will render most of not all of the other switches in the console unusable.

Search the forums and you can find a picture of what this stuff looks like.
Here it is the post with a link to the PDF that instructs how to do the retrofit.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...09-post14.html

And IF you go to the last page you will see the picture of the black plastic housing and right behind that is the circuit board that has all the switch contacts on it. Each position has a designated link to the computer to do what it is supposed to do. There is no changing that.

now i am not saying that wires can not be attached to the circuit board to make that switch do something else but if you apply any voltage to that board then there is a mjor posiblity of damaging the central computer of the car.

Also the folding mirror function on MINI's that have it is controlled by the mirror adjusting switch. Not sure if that ca be retrofitted or not but if it can it would probably be rather expensive.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:14 PM
santero
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to know. Thanks. You saved me from making an $$$ mistake!