Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior M7 Vortex Hood Scoop Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:53 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am not an r56, but I went with plastidip...as I have with most products on my car. Can't beat $5, and everlasting durability I left the gel coat for a while, but it was too smooth and didnt match the trim as well as the plastidip does.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:54 AM
WYSIWYG
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Very nice!

I plan to do the same thing. I paid somewhere around $180 or so to get my headlight and taillight rings professionally painted. They looked great new, but after about 3 months my healight rings already have 10-12 chips in them to the point that the sanded down chrome shows through. My plasti-dip grill surround still looks almost new after 6 months and at least a dozen automatic car washes.

-C

Old 06-18-2009, 05:30 PM
mikeinsf
1st Gear
Love the plate... "move over"

Old 08-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Sambatrader
Neutral
Is the Plastidip a little bit shiny? I'm thinking about swapping out my scoop and want something in a shiny (or at least not matte) black. I have a PW cooper with black stripes and a black roof. Also I've never used Plastidip, is it easy to apply as an aerosol? Thanks!

Old 08-28-2009, 09:19 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Sambatrader
Is the Plastidip a little bit shiny? I'm thinking about swapping out my scoop and want something in a shiny (or at least not matte) black. I have a PW cooper with black stripes and a black roof. Also I've never used Plastidip, is it easy to apply as an aerosol? Thanks!
not really shiny at all... i mean its not 100% matte but its closer to matte than shiny lol.

yes its easy to apply... just make sure that whatever your painting isnt touching the surface its setting on or itll get stuck and peel if you try to take it off.

Personally i've been eyeing a few scoops and i will most likely just see if Lyle at Lyles Vinyl can wrap in body color. Already having my trim done

Old 08-28-2009, 12:06 PM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
I used the Plastidip on my M7 Extreme Scoop, I am very happy with it as it matches my tastes perfect. My car is Indi Blue with Black and I did not want anything shinny. It was very easy to work with, did 5 or 6 coats over a 4 hour period and it has held up very well as I do 600 to 700 Miles a week on busy highways. I believe you can also buy this is other colors besides black if that makes a difference.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Sambatrader
Neutral
Thanks for the input guys. Plastidip still might be the best option for me, I just haven't seen it in person. I just don't want it to look too weird. All my trim is stock and I have the glossy black roof and the bonnet stripes. I suppose the stripes and the roof are already different levels of sheen.

So I'm mainly considering: buying someone's scoop and using plastidip, buying an astro black scoop and trying it out (the sparkle doesn't sound awesome though), or buying someone's scoop and paying ~$150 to get it painted glossy black. I suppose the other option is to buy the chrome bezel kit. Any thoughts? Thanks again guys.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:32 AM
anmracing
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The pix look awesome. The hood scoops look great. Are there any pix of under the hood? I would like to see how it goes to the airbox.

I'm new to the Mini so I also would like to know if the functional hood scoop will work/fit on a 2009. I would like to get the ram or vortex but I want it to go to the air filter without sucking in warm air from the engine.

I've done a search but can't find what I'm looking for. Using the wrong keywords I guess........

I'm looking at this set up

http://www.fastmini.net/kncoairinsy2.html

Will this work with the work with the scoops in the pix above??

A~

Old 09-25-2009, 12:13 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by anmracing
The pix look awesome. The hood scoops look great. Are there any pix of under the hood? I would like to see how it goes to the airbox.

I'm new to the Mini so I also would like to know if the functional hood scoop will work/fit on a 2009. I would like to get the ram or vortex but I want it to go to the air filter without sucking in warm air from the engine.

I've done a search but can't find what I'm looking for. Using the wrong keywords I guess........

I'm looking at this set up

http://www.fastmini.net/kncoairinsy2.html

Will this work with the work with the scoops in the pix above??

A~
that K&N one doesnt go to the scoop. The Vortex scoop as talked about above doesnt neccessarily have a ram air tube to the airbox. Its just a bigger scoop (looks good mostly). I have a similar intake to the K&N (M7 Super AGS) and i've opened up the factory scoop by removing the grille insert....But still no ram air.
M7 makes an AGS-R that I believe does have a tube that goes up to the scoop, thus making it a real ram air setup.

Im pretty sure there are others but a Vortex scoop isnt really neccessary for any ram air setup... its all about the intake system you get

Old 06-21-2010, 11:25 AM
redpanda191
1st Gear
MUShadd where'd you get those red emblems i neeeeddd those, those are f**kin doppeeeeeeeeeeee