Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior MINI Fini Cargo Carrier Install and Notes

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:24 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MINI Fini Cargo Carrier Install and Notes

I've always loved the MINI Fini Sport Link system, and although there are less expensive solutions on the market today, I just really like the "coolness factor" of the Sportlink ports.

This writeup is for those that are thinking about buying this product or are just curious about how it's built--as I could not find any info here on NAM. Note, I paid full price for this item and was not paid or compensated for doing this writeup.

With several upcoming MINI events that I will be driving to, I've been wanting to increase my cargo capacity of my MINI while utilizing interior space for passengers.

Although I own a small HF trailer, I wanted to get away from towing anything, so I opted for the MINI Fini Cargo Link as well as a Mont Blanc bike rack system so I can temporarily tie an EZUP or two to my roof--those hog up the most interior space. The rack system also enables me to install a roof carrier if maximum storage capacity is truly desired.

So this writeup will deal specifically with the Cargo Link. I thought it would be a simple no assembly type of product but it DOES require some minor assembly before use, and the instructions aren't exactly all that clear, so hopefully this writeup will make it crystal clear.

There are two main components to the Cargo Link. The actual carrier and a sort of subframe which holds the mounting rods that connect to the Sport Link. There is a definite "front and back". The wider portion of the carrier is the back of the carrier but the instructions refer to it as the rear. I suppose it depends on where you are standing--but if you were holding the unit and standing at the very back positioning it onto the MINI, the lower front edge is the Front and the higher side wall is the REAR. The instructions show this in reverse as the lower front edge being the rear.

You only need these two tools or equivalents.
4mm Allen and 11mm Socket

You need to attach the carrier to the subframe, and you start with this square hole in the center.

You can see on the ends there are holes for bungee cord tie downs.

A flat washer is added

The subframe is attached--note the rubber cap shown at the top corner of this photo. It just to the top and side of the subframe near the forward hole.

One of the nuts is added. An 11mm rachet is needed here.

Here's the rest of the hardware you will need to finish the assembly.

However there was a slight problem getting the bolts into the holes--they were obscured!

The bottom holes were fine though.

Mystery solved---the hole on the support angle doesn't line up with the hole on the diamond plate.
Although I found that with some effort I could still stick the bolt it and whack it with a hammer to force it through the hole--I can't believe it was designed this way. I don't think a $500+ product should have this sort of "defect".

Using an 11mm rachet here from Harbor Freight.

Don't over crank the nuts though--you will shear them off like I did here...sigh---time for a trip to Home Depot now.

I decided to press on and finish the assembly as this missing bolt won't affect the rest of the assembly.

This is the pivoting rod--you can see the end of it has a flange that's welded on--slightly different from the included instructions.

When you install the pivoting rod, don't try to push the rod in with the plastic sleeve out like this--it will come off easily if you push the rod through and don't hold it on---as you will never get that sleeve to snap back into place.

Notice the orientation of the groove on the pivoting rod.

Ok, so put the sleeve back into the hole.

Reinsert the Pivoting Rod.

Grab a 4MM allen wrench

Open the included Loctite and put it on the threads.

I like to put it on the threads, screw it in, then back it out, and apply some more, then screw it back in a second time to ensure full coverage.

You can apply some to the end here however you really want to make sure it's on the threads.

Finally the locking mechanism here ISN'T just a security precaution. It's a necessary part of how the system works. I once forgot to lock this on my Tow Link and the arm actually backed out and caused a failure of the hitch..so make sure you always lock this whenever it's in use.

This little piece is a stop so that when you push and pull the rod with the welded on handle, it doesn't come out of the existing holes that support it on the subframe. Don't forget the threadlock here too.

The total weight of the system is around 34 to 36 pounds--it was hard to get it to stand upright on my scale so this is an approximate weight.

So outside, I'm getting ready to install it.

All done!

Took me about 20 minutes to put it together--not difficult at all and now I've just increased the utility of my MINI. I haven't driven with it yet, and I can see the potential drawback of obscuring the license plate but overall I like the product. For security while the car is unattended, I'll probably unload the carrier and place the contents inside the car i.e. for an overnight stay. I might try to install a cargo box as well--I've got one on my trailer right now that I'm thinking of removing so it's lockable. Otherwise look for me at MITM, MMW, and MINI Mania's event in Nevada City as I'll have this with me!

See the Cargo-Link HERE

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 04-28-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:16 AM
c-lo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that looks great! considering buying a cooper and this took help resolve storage issues I'll have. I'm coming from a legacy GT wagon.

question for you. I just went to minifini's website to look at their bike racks. I've seen a trays system holding bikes out on the road recently but they don't show that on their website. know anything about that?

Old 05-09-2008, 06:29 AM
OctaneGuy
I've got the MINI Fini bike rack--it holds 2 backs out back in place of that cargo tray.

This is what it looks like on my old Cooper

I also added a Mont Blanc roof rack and bought a Thule Sidekick cargo box. I can provide more info on that if you want for additional storage options.

Originally Posted by c-lo
that looks great! considering buying a cooper and this took help resolve storage issues I'll have. I'm coming from a legacy GT wagon.

question for you. I just went to minifini's website to look at their bike racks. I've seen a trays system holding bikes out on the road recently but they don't show that on their website. know anything about that?

Old 05-09-2008, 06:32 AM
c-lo
1st Gear
that would be great!. am i crazy? i thought they had a tray system as well? I saw passed a mini couple months ago with two bikes sitting on a trays on a system that looked like mini finis.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:39 AM
OctaneGuy
Where does the tray mount--over the roof? Or off the back? Maybe it was MINIdoMore? I'm not sure, but the only bike rack system I've seen from Mini Fini is this one.

Richard

that would be great!. am i crazy? i thought they had a tray system as well? I saw passed a mini couple months ago with two bikes sitting on a trays on a system that looked like mini finis.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:51 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
OK, I'm a little lost here..
When I asked about MINI-FINI at MOTD I was told that they were no longer in business.
Was I misinformed?
Because I do like some of their products that I wanted to see at MOTD but they weren't
there this year and when I asked I was told they would not be around because they went out of business.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:07 AM
OctaneGuy
That's the bad thing about communities--the spread of misinformation is all too easy. I wonder who told you that?

MINI Fini had some internal issues awhile back and ended up selling the business to AllFab who revived the business and introduced several of the products that Mini Fini had originally promised--like this Cargo Carrier. The new owners also re-engineered the Sport Link to be lighterweight and fits the R56 as well.

You can read about All Fab on the About Us Page
http://www.minifini.com/About.aspx

Allfab Inc., a contract manufacturer and product development company located in Columbus, Ohio, has acquired the MINI-FINI products group. Allfab / MINI-FINI is currently working on new items that will extend the boundaries of your motoring experience.

The Allfab / MINI-FINI team is excited about the opportunities surrounding the legendary MINI Cooper. Most exciting is the contact with the great people we find involved in the MINI experience. We look forward to developing new relationships and conducting business with this energized group of MINI Cooper devotees! Please feel free to contact us with your questions and suggestions concerning MINI-FINI. Visit our contact page and drop us a line, also please join our mailing list. We look forward to hearing from you!

Richard
Originally Posted by cabriopilot
OK, I'm a little lost here..
When I asked about MINI-FINI at MOTD I was told that they were no longer in business.
Was I misinformed?
Because I do like some of their products that I wanted to see at MOTD but they weren't
there this year and when I asked I was told they would not be around because they went out of business.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:07 AM
c-lo
1st Gear
it was off the back. same mount system as mini fini

Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Where does the tray mount--over the roof? Or off the back? Maybe it was MINIdoMore? I'm not sure, but the only bike rack system I've seen from Mini Fini is this one.

Richard

Old 05-09-2008, 09:04 AM
OctaneGuy
Hmm, I'm not sure who is making that. What's the benefit of a tray system when mounted on the rear?

Here are some pix of additional cargo possibilities on the MINI..this is the Mont Blanc rack. I'm planning on custom painting the Thule box similar to the mockup below. The car is dirty here, lol. I just put the box and EZ up on top for the photo and mockup purposes.

I discovered one good reason for going with the factory rack over aftermarket when installing this rack---avoiding accidental dents! My cross bar fell a couple of time on the roof during the install and it ended up denting my roof---now I have to get that fixed! Argghh.

it was off the back. same mount system as mini fini

Old 05-09-2008, 09:10 AM
c-lo
1st Gear
preference, thats all. thanks for the additional info! rack system looks good.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:50 AM
OctaneGuy
Well, I just traveled 500 miles with the Cargo Link and had no issues at all. I think the bottom did get warm from the exhaust, or maybe it was just the 104+ degree heat we were in all day. We hit some major bumps along the way. I secured the cargo using a MINI boot cargo net that I have. Also had the Thule Sidekick box on the roof with the Mont Blanc rack. As much as I don't want to drill holes in the roof, I may end up going that route. The Mont Blanc is nice if you have two people to install it, otherwise you could potentially risk putting dents into your roof from the cross bars, as you have to put quite a bit of tension on the rack to get it all secure...it cost me another $125+ to have my PDR guy remove the dents during my first install.