Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Angel Eyes Running Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 04:03 PM
marco621
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Some more halo pics for you guys....

The blue in the halos is definitely more blue than the xenons but oh well, they still look good in my opinion.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Minian
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great Eyes

Very Easy! If you know how to take off the front bumper cover (BC) it a synch.
Less than 30 minutes. Hell if you're good you can just remove the top front BC screws and the screws just forward of the wheel well lining. The BC will lean forward and you can access/replace the lights. If you own a DS Mini you will want the Stealth Bulbs. I bought a pair as soon as they were on the market.

Minian

Old 04-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, I finally installed my ebay projector headlights with halo rings today. Guess what? You can change the LEDs out. Basically they have 2 white LEDs on a rubber grommet that plugs into the ring. When the LEDs light up, then the light is transmitted through the ring. I'm going to say that the angel eyes from MOSS could be similar. As I stated before, I have no experience with the MOSS ones, but this is just throwing ideas out to you all.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:58 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
Ok, I finally installed my ebay projector headlights with halo rings today. Guess what? You can change the LEDs out. Basically they have 2 white LEDs on a rubber grommet that plugs into the ring. When the LEDs light up, then the light is transmitted through the ring. I'm going to say that the angel eyes from MOSS could be similar. As I stated before, I have no experience with the MOSS ones, but this is just throwing ideas out to you all.
This is how the Hella 2500s are. I was sort of hoping the Moss running lamps might be the same - then you could change out all of the bulbs to make them the same.

On a related note, how was your ebay light install? I've been eyeing those, but I just have the standard headlamps, and don't know if they would plug and play like they are supposed to.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
did a set

Originally Posted by MLWagner79
On a related note, how was your ebay light install? I've been eyeing those, but I just have the standard headlamps, and don't know if they would plug and play like they are supposed to.
I installed a set of e-bay specials with halo rings. he said the e-bay ad said plug and play but came looking for help when there was a plug....& a set of loose wires hanging out the back of each lite.

not rocket science...but think about it. on std headlights, there's no power to that unit when only parking lites are on if that's when you want the halo to come on. so at a minimum you must figure out the headlight pin out to splice..or run a jumper to the right part of the running/turn lite. depending on how you want 'em to work.

like I said, not rocket science but to do it nice you want to solder things up and use some shrink tape...or crimp some nice connectors. I was also stumped for a bit b4 I discovered the LED part of the circuit was polarity specific. I mean DC across a light bulb equals lite right? not so with LEDs I guess...no LEDs on my 79, and with no wiring diagram I was stumped until I said "I wonder". Not difficult if you've some working knowledge and know how to handle a meter.

I don't know if there's more than one set on e-bay. he bought what he did cuz they were supposed to come with black trim rings...they didn't tho. There was a page with a couple of pictures....and words in what I think was Chinese... no schematic tho. Having a Haynes with wiring diagrams helped. (ya, Haynes....not a Bentley)

he liked the outcome when all was said and done and we got all the escaped smoke back into the wires

maybe he'll see this post...

Last edited by Capt_bj; 04-20-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:55 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Yeah if they're not plug and play I won't be able to do it myself. I've got a friend that could, but not me alone. I'd set the place on fire.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
This is how the Hella 2500s are. I was sort of hoping the Moss running lamps might be the same - then you could change out all of the bulbs to make them the same.

I'll try and get some pictures from the install. The lights themselves are very well constructed. Putting the lights into the holes in the bonnet is easy. The problem is there are some gaps here and there, but not too bad. My rings are painted black, so it's not too noticeable. Now, we get into the wiring part. The headlight bulbs themselves plug into the stock connector. No problem. The halo wiring and "extra" lights are a different story. There are no clips to hang any wiring on like the OEM headlight housings have. You have to be creative in keeping the wiring tucked up and out of the way. I ran the positive wiring for the halos down to the front parking lights and tapped into that wiring. The ground wiring for the left side halo, I ran down and tapped off the earth ground strap that is connected to the bonnet and chassis. On the right side, I just tapped off another ground I had for some other lighting I ran a while ago. I's kind of a pain to install these lights, but worth it IMO. The pain part comes from the running the wiring. Sorry for hijacking this thread and taking it off the original topic. Look for some more info in the next couple of days for a write up on my experience with the ebay halo headlights. I just originally wanted people to see if they could change their angel eyes from MOSS as an option.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:47 AM
07BPB
5th Gear
I have them and love them.
Took around 30 minutes to install and most of that time was trying to find the right size tool.

Only problem is the fact that the headlights and fogs don't match the rings.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:30 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Well your fogs should be yellow anyway (I mean, personal preference I guess, but that's typical for fog lamps. And you can get "bluer" H7s to replace the headlamps (I replaced mine a couple of months ago with two pairs of Hella XBs at $15/pair; they match my driving lights better, but I still need to do the driving lamps, was holding off until I decided if I was going to do these or not).

Love your wheels, BTW!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 07BPB
I have them and love them.
Took around 30 minutes to install and most of that time was trying to find the right size tool.

Only problem is the fact that the headlights and fogs don't match the rings.
Dude, I don't like a lot of chrome, but your car is wicked sick looking.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:35 PM
07BPB
5th Gear
Haha. Cheers. My car pulls off the chrome look very nicely. The bottom picture is a bit blurry though.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:12 AM
godalex
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason C
Well I just went out and took a pic with my stupid iPhone, but it will have to wait until I get home later. You can not just take pictures off, you have to email them to your self. And of course my email settings are all jacked up, and I can not connect to my work server.
I have to respectfully disagree with Fatherdeth on the color though. With these, or at least the ones I have, the blue is very predominant. Also, they talk about a replacement bulb, but I have not seen it. So I'm not sure if it is a bulb or the entire ring.
Iphone allows a transfer via USB to your computer (reads the picture Directory just like a removable drive). FYI. ;-)

Old 04-26-2008, 02:26 AM
07BPB
5th Gear
I have to respectfully disagree with Fatherdeth on the color though. With these, or at least the ones I have, the blue is very predominant. Also, they talk about a replacement bulb, but I have not seen it. So I'm not sure if it is a bulb or the entire ring.
If you are talking about the replacement bulb on the moss mini site for the indicators. It is the indicator bulb itself, not the ring. Its a silver indicator bulb that appears silver and flashes amber.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:13 AM
adbsvc
1st Gear
I bought the set from Moss, very easy to install, but they are not very bright. They look great at night but look like crap unless its dark. Some of the photos you guys are puttin up make the angel eyes look fairly bright. Is there a way to put brighter led bulbs in? Also have any of you with the same kit changed the way they plug in?

Old 05-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Jason C
4th Gear
Originally Posted by adbsvc
I bought the set from Moss, very easy to install, but they are not very bright. They look great at night but look like crap unless its dark. Some of the photos you guys are puttin up make the angel eyes look fairly bright. Is there a way to put brighter led bulbs in? Also have any of you with the same kit changed the way they plug in?
Mine look alot brighter in photos. Not so bright in person.
What would you want them to plug in differently?

Old 05-03-2008, 08:38 PM
adbsvc
1st Gear
Mine look alot brighter in photos. Not so bright in person.
What would you want them to plug in differently?
The pigtail on the led lamp mimicks that of the original bulb for the park lamp. I've thought about replacing that end with a connector that mimicks the original socket. This probably wont help the output of the led but at least it would provide a secure oe style connection.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:05 PM
tekron
3rd Gear

I was not pleased with the stock LEDs so I put in some "xenon blue" standard bulbs for now. Plan on doing a full exterior makeover with LED's that don't flicker soon.

PS - I have looked at the halos in the projector headlights and the LED's that light them up. They are not plug and play LED's from what I remember. They were exposed and wired in a way that looks like a home made Radioshack job.

Last edited by tekron; 05-05-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Jason C
4th Gear
Originally Posted by godalex
Iphone allows a transfer via USB to your computer (reads the picture Directory just like a removable drive). FYI. ;-)
Thanks. See post #14.

Originally Posted by 07BPB
If you are talking about the replacement bulb on the moss mini site for the indicators. It is the indicator bulb itself, not the ring. Its a silver indicator bulb that appears silver and flashes amber.
They also list a replacement led bulb. That's what I was talking about.
http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=52440
Second item down.

Tekron,
Looking good.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tekron

I was not pleased with the stock LEDs so I put in some "xenon blue" standard bulbs for now. Plan on doing a full exterior makeover with LED's that don't flicker soon.

PS - I have looked at the halos in the projector headlights and the LED's that light them up. They are not plug and play LED's from what I remember. They were exposed and wired in a way that looks like a home made Radioshack job.
I don't know which projector headlights you saw, but mine are not exposed. They fit into the hole with a rubber grommet and actually look quite nice lit up at night.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:21 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear

I was checking out these lights. Looks really simple, just plastic tubes bent in a circle.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:47 AM
jerjer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 89AKurt

I was checking out these lights. Looks really simple, just plastic tubes bent in a circle.
with the exception of having slots on the back of the "plastic tube" or else the light will just shine straight thru the tube from 1 end to the other (in another word, it won't light up thru the front view of the headlights)

Old 05-18-2008, 02:56 AM
07BPB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tekron
I really like your headlights. What type are they?

Old 05-18-2008, 04:21 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jerjer
with the exception of having slots on the back of the "plastic tube" or else the light will just shine straight thru the tube from 1 end to the other (in another word, it won't light up thru the front view of the headlights)
Hmmm... those look like electroluminescents to me...

Old 05-18-2008, 04:25 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
i liek the halo lights.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:54 AM
22CooperS
4th Gear
Has anyone had any problems with quality of these lights?? Anyone had one break on them/go out?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Angel Eyes Running Lamps