Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Any comments on the CG-Lock by Mather?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:50 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lastrega
I
it's your feet and hands that do the driving .. not your body ... and keep your body straight when you curve ....use your head!! ... [/quote]

WTF ?

Rookie driver?

Old 02-13-2008, 09:27 PM
sranderle
3rd Gear
Does this meet requirements for HPDEs? I imagine you would have to have one for the passenger/instructor, just like a harness.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:59 PM
CAP49
4th Gear
Love my CG for all the previous stated reasons.

Word about the Schroth Harness. While I've tried them in other peoples cars and I liked them they are being looked at disfavorable by some organizations that sponsor track-days. The beef is that they are attached from behind the driver at more than a 45 degree angle which in case of an accident " could " compress the spine and cause injury. The Porsche Club Of America does not now allow them to pass tech for this reason. Lov um but be aware.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:20 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got mine about 3 weeks ago and the thing is AMAZING!! It holds you in the car perfectly and now I have it locked semi tight everyday...its very, VERY easy to live with everyday and it makes the driving experience soooo much better that you will use it everytime you drive

Old 02-14-2008, 04:08 AM
polizei
6th Gear
I love mine, I use it daily. I just keep it hooked up at all times, no problems with closing the door, etc. No complaints either, great product!

-Cody

Old 02-14-2008, 12:26 PM
heyduard
4th Gear
if you do leave 'em hooked up 24/7, just be careful when releasing the buckle to get of the car, as the kit can smack into the door or worse the window.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:18 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Love the CG Lock. Have been running it for 3 years now. It's great for everyday use, especially since the Schroth can't be used if you have back seat passengers.
I'm trying to decide which to get....why can't the Schroth be used w/ backseat passengers?

Old 05-11-2008, 04:26 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
The Schroth uses the rear seat belt connections.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:17 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
.....thus you have the shoulder belts coming from the rear seats up over the back of the front seats.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:24 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
I used mine for about a month.

It kept me in place just as the old-fashioned locking seat belts used to do, so I liked it for that.

I had two complaints: it was always slapping against the door frame when I got in and out, and it was fraying the seat belt.

I will reserve it for the rare trips to the twisties.

Last edited by oldsbear; 05-11-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Correcting sloppy syntax.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:24 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CAP49
Love my CG for all the previous stated reasons.

Word about the Schroth Harness. While I've tried them in other peoples cars and I liked them they are being looked at disfavorable by some organizations that sponsor track-days. The beef is that they are attached from behind the driver at more than a 45 degree angle which in case of an accident " could " compress the spine and cause injury. The Porsche Club Of America does not now allow them to pass tech for this reason. Lov um but be aware.
PCA lets each region decide if the Schroth is to be allowed. Many regions have decided that model specific Schroth Harness' are viable such as those available for a MINI. PCA does dictate that both driver and passenger be afforded the same level of protection. If you intend on attending a PCA HPDE just check with your region first to make sure they do allow them and don't forget one for the passenger.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:00 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by oldsbear
it was fraying the seat belt.

I will reserve it for the rare trips to the twisties.
That is my problem....the seatbelt is getting frayed....but I must say i am addicted i cannot drive without the support in the chair it provides so I think I will keep it until the belt is unsafe to have then I will go for the Schroth harness

Can the Schroth be used on stock seats? How would I keep the shoulder belts in place?

Old 05-11-2008, 06:06 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Check out http://www.soloracer.com/minirallye4.html for all of the spec's.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:28 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by checkercoop
That is my problem....the seatbelt is getting frayed....but I must say i am addicted i cannot drive without the support in the chair it provides so I think I will keep it until the belt is unsafe to have then I will go for the Schroth harness

Can the Schroth be used on stock seats? How would I keep the shoulder belts in place?
Schroth can be used with both stock seats and with aftermarket seats. It uses a different belt for driver and for passenger. There are four points of connection, two side connections at the waist and two rear connections. Two of the connections to the belt use the stock seat belt female clips while the other two are metal fasteners that are bolted using stock mounting points both facing the outer side of the seat area.

Schroth allows for tightening at the waist in two directions and on the shoulders at two points. You can feel very snug once adjusted.

Schroth or CG can be used with autocross or HPDE but check with the organizers to be sure your region or area allows for it.

Some CG owners in my area report that the CG clip can break not even with daily use. CG cost is fairly low, can be used for both passenger or driver, can be used in any car with seat belts, and is easy to use/reuse.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:51 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
Schroth can be used with both stock seats and with aftermarket seats. It uses a different belt for driver and for passenger. There are four points of connection, two side connections at the waist and two rear connections. Two of the connections to the belt use the stock seat belt female clips while the other two are metal fasteners that are bolted using stock mounting points both facing the outer side of the seat area.

Schroth allows for tightening at the waist in two directions and on the shoulders at two points. You can feel very snug once adjusted.

Schroth or CG can be used with autocross or HPDE but check with the organizers to be sure your region or area allows for it.

Some CG owners in my area report that the CG clip can break not even with daily use. CG cost is fairly low, can be used for both passenger or driver, can be used in any car with seat belts, and is easy to use/reuse.

Yes I really do like the CG....how are the metal fasteners removed and reinstalled to put the male part of the Schroth?

Old 05-11-2008, 06:58 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
All good points and I will add the the list.........lol

I went with the harness for one reason only....CG does nothing for the upper body. I found myself still hanging on to the wheel too much to keep myself in the seat, during braking especially
FYI, trick a lot of people use with the CG Lock (or even without it) is to slide the seat back 2-3 clicks, pull the belt all the way out (Until it starts clicking and is locked) then when it's semi snug on your body, push the seat forward the 2-3 clicks. Should hold you in the seat nicely.

I agree though, there's no replacement for a proper harness. I run my schroth on and off on the street. It's a PITA when you have passengers, so if I know I'm going to be driving on the street for a while with no track days, I'll leave it in my trunk.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:02 PM
6th Gear
Yes I really do like the CG....how are the metal fasteners removed and reinstalled to put the male part of the Schroth?
If you're talking about the small clips that come with it, just use a standard wrench.

The male part of the actual schroth harness goes into the normal seatbelt slot (To maintain normal airbag functionality, and prevent the seatbelt chime from going off). The female side has a male attachment that you can just leave there when not in use.

The two mounting points use the rear seatbelt slot, and another male attachment (Which bolts into the factory seatbelt bolt. It took about 10 minutes to install, pretty simple.

Make sure that the plastic ASM covers are inboard, and properly attached. Once a belt has been in a crash (And the ASM stitching has been torn) the belt should be replaced.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:05 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
How is it fraying the seatbelt?? Or is this an R56 issue? I've had the CG Lock in my daily driver R53 for 50,000 miles in the past year and a half and another 60,000 miles before that in my other MINI and no seatbelt fraying issues.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:00 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
(Which bolts into the factory seatbelt bolt. It took about 10 minutes to install, pretty simple.
Is this the part you mean uses a wrentch?

Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
How is it fraying the seatbelt?? Or is this an R56 issue? I've had the CG Lock in my daily driver R53 for 50,000 miles in the past year and a half and another 60,000 miles before that in my other MINI and no seatbelt fraying issues.
Yeah its mainly just fraying at the top most layer...I think its from daily use of readjusting often...now when I tighten it i try to push the little lever down to reduce any wear

Old 05-11-2008, 09:05 PM
6th Gear
Is this the part you mean uses a wrentch?

Yup

Yeah its mainly just fraying at the top most layer...I think its from daily use of readjusting often...now when I tighten it i try to push the little lever down to reduce any wear
Fraying... doesn't sound good. Your belt shouldn't be frayed at all. That could be dangerous in an accident (VERY high loads placed on the belts).

Old 05-12-2008, 07:00 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I love the CG-Lock. It holds you in the way seat belts did in the "old days" before all the whiners basically made car companies make the seat belts we have today.

I've since bought a Schroth harness for autox and track events, but I still use the CG-Lock for daily driving. I find it very easy to use and to quickly adjust. As long as you don't let it go flying when you take it off, you won't have problems with it hitting or scuffing anything.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:04 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I bought one and have mostly been impressed, but now I have managed to lose one of the tiny allen screws that hold it in place. I've tried without any luck the big box hardware stores to find the correct size. Does anyone know where I might find these?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
www,mcmaster.com

Otherwise contact the manufacturer, I hear good things about there CS.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:32 PM
minicounter
4th Gear
I love my CG-lock. Only problem is CG = bald tires

Old 06-28-2008, 01:00 AM
MINIBee
6th Gear
I love mine as well. It makes Dragon runs and other drives with hard cornering so much more enjoyable. My only problem though is one of the metal edges wears holes in my shorts, so I have a couple of "special" pairs of shorts for driving.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Any comments on the CG-Lock by Mather?