Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior "The V1" enough said

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:20 PM
BrandonH
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The V1" enough said

So my wife finally gave me my V1 after much build up and excitement.(I actually jumped up and down with joy) I did the sunroof hard wire w/ Velcro over right side rear view mirror set up. I LOVE IT. I feel i have finally gotten my ***** back.(i know with much power comes great responsibility) Its weird thought i think the electronics set off my check engine light??? And i get multiple biggie counts (I live in a very urban part of town) Does any V1 vets have any advice for a rookie V1 owner??

Old 01-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Dawger101
1st Gear
If the false alerts are on X Band, disable it. No self respecting police force uses X Band anymore.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dawger101
If the false alerts are on X Band, disable it. No self respecting police force uses X Band anymore.
And travel just one town east of me...one hit two years ago, but if they still had it on a few cars it would not surprise me in the least. And no I'm not in Jersey.

Remember there is still I/O and LIDAR out there. The V1 gives you the information, it is not a brake on the beep box, it is not a cop locater but it is a RADAR locater and it will point out every source two you.

oh and well this is where I'll point you to save my typing....
http://www.radardetector.net/viewforum.php?f=23

I've covered a ton more on the subject here on NAM search around and you can likely find quite a bit of it.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:39 AM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BrandonH
... Does any V1 vets have any advice for a rookie V1 owner??
Don't get too brave. There are still all sorts of ways to get you. Pay attention to the beeps as after a while you may not pay attention until it's too late.

That said I don't see how anyone gets anywhere without a V1. Enjoy your new bit of freedom.

Rich

Old 01-06-2008, 07:29 AM
mistro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A bit of a hijack but how does one find out what version of Valentine one has and... is the version that important.... and can it be upgraded?

Old 01-06-2008, 08:13 AM
C2W
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mistro
A bit of a hijack but how does one find out what version of Valentine one has and... is the version that important.... and can it be upgraded?
Go here...http://www.valentine1.com/upgrades/

And yes it can be upgraded!

Old 01-06-2008, 08:15 AM
goosefraba
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BrandonH
So my wife finally gave me my V1 after much build up and excitement.(I actually jumped up and down with joy) I did the sunroof hard wire w/ Velcro over right side rear view mirror set up. I LOVE IT. I feel i have finally gotten my ***** back.(i know with much power comes great responsibility) Its weird thought i think the electronics set off my check engine light??? And i get multiple biggie counts (I live in a very urban part of town) Does any V1 vets have any advice for a rookie V1 owner??
In Houston make sure you are in city mode. I also have a V1 and I usually have it off while on really busy areas where you really should not be going fast. If you enter a big parking lot with lots of shops and auto doors... forget it!!! The V1 will go nuts!!! and neon lights and some vehicle taillights will set off laser detection too.

V1 is an excellent detecter, but it is very sensitive too. Multiple bogeys are what they are. The V1 is giving you the information it detects, and the operator is to decide how to interpret the information. Example: in some cases automatic opening doors will bogey count in multiples of 2 and always occur at places like grocery stores. Bear in mind also that areas like this can be good camoflauge for police radar. An odd number on the bogey counter near a grocery store should raise your suspicion of a real threat. If you drive the same route often, you will notice you will consistently have the same number of bogeys every time you pass an area of "false alarm", and any deviation can be a real threat. The directional arrows can really save you too. All in all the V1 is nicer to use on the open road as big city are full of "false alarms". I usually do keep it on when driving by myself because I have become accoustomed to the noises, but it irritates passengers since it goes off often. I have had the V1 for over 5 years now, and really feel "exposed" while not having it on.
Just remember that the V1 philosophy is to give the operator as much information as possible on potential threats, and it is up to the operator to decide what to do with this information.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:18 AM
goosefraba
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by C2W
Go here...http://www.valentine1.com/upgrades/

And yes it can be upgraded!
The site will ask for your serial number, then it will tell you what software version you have and if they recommend an upgrade.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:24 AM
shokk
7th Gear
Beware that there is more than just speeding on their list of violations. If they don't have the radar on, they can still film you zipping around in traffic, passing on the right, and driving in a "careless" or "wreckless" fashion.

At any rate, I recommend the remote display so that you can place it somewhere close to the wheel, rather than reaching across the car to hit the mute button. While I get a lot of alerts on X band from grocery store doors, I really would rather be safe.

One note about my V1 - I seem to get waaaay more false alerts on laser from SUV tail lights than real hits.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:32 AM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
I second that for the remote display.....good purchase....has saved me several times....i had a passport before my V1 and I will never be able to go to another detector without arrows....

Old 01-06-2008, 03:20 PM
BrandonH
3rd Gear
Does everyone still remove it from mounted location every night? Like i said i have it Velcro ed to the headliner and since i live in a very urban part of town i don't want to give anyone a reason to break into my car. But with that said i am slowly destroying the feat in my roof. I am debating a eyebrow to hide it better but 1 eyebrows look stupid on our small windscreens and 2 tint seriously takes from the effectiveness of the v1(so i have heard and read). What to do?

Last edited by BrandonH; 01-06-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

See how much it stands out? I'm in a relatively low crime area. Make sure you've got the ser# copied down and that you're insured for it and you should be ok in the event of a break in. But do what you can to not advertise it. Considered just using the visor clip? Mine is a mix of the visor clip into the headliner and velcro.