Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Palo Uber C.F. Extension Wing

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:30 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gnatster
How could this possibly keep the back cleaner. Air would hit the spoiler and be directed up even more then with the stock unit. In turn this would create a larger low pressure area under the spoiler. Since the back gets dirty from all the dirt picked up off the road I'd imagine this would pick up even more dirt.

When did scientific theory ever prevent PU or their fans here from making any outrageous claims that they thought might sell more stuff to the unsuspecting?

Old 11-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, here we go again.

I noticed a difference in the dirt from the moment I put it on my car. I'm not sitting at home making this stuff up for my own amusement. Why does it help? How the hell do I know. But it does. I purchased it purley for the look and was really surprised by the lack of dirt.

I am not saying it's completely gone but it made a "big" difference.

Longboard

Old 11-24-2007, 10:11 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"This lip is the missing element discarded by the german engineers for cost containment."

God, I love that line! Pure genius.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Trip024
Nice ride Longboard! I actually like the plain black one better. Is there any pu badging (cant tell from the pic) and would you happen to know what the NAM price is? Thanks.
I've had mine for a long time. No pu badging.

Longboard

Old 11-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
uote=RallyMINI;1881507]That being said.....this piece looks to fit better than the last. Good to see . Not a fan of stick on things, I rather have things flow fluidly....but the shape is nice, and it looks good on there[/quote]

I have the original and the fit is perfect?

Longboard

Old 11-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the original and the fit is perfect?

Longboard
I just meant the fit in the design. The lines don't flow as well as the new one does. The new one looks like a true extension of the OEM lines. The older one looked a bit more abrupt to me. Sorry for my opinion

Last edited by Rally@StanceDesign; 11-24-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
I noticed a difference in the dirt from the moment I put it on my car. I'm not sitting at home making this stuff up for my own amusement. Why does it help?
I was just saying it was hard to believe....

It goes against all preconceived notions of aerodynamics tested by many people....but hey, maybe it's possible.
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
I am not saying it's completely gone but it made a "big" difference.
Oh okay....i guess i was just thrown off by the fact that you said this:
The best part is I no longer have dirt on the back of my car.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
I was just saying it was hard to believe....

It goes against all preconceived notions of aerodynamics tested by many people....but hey, maybe it's possible.

Oh okay....i guess i was just thrown off by the fact that you said this:
OK, I give up :impatient .

I apologize. I must just be imagining the lack of dirt.

Longboard

Old 11-24-2007, 11:55 PM
YakiMini
5th Gear
It look sharp!
Originally Posted by MidniteCoop
I just recently completed the installation of the extension wing. I must say, the craftsmanship of the wing along with it's clean finish have really increased the lip of the wing. The C.F. weave and the shape really match the lines of the mini. I like the more aggressive look without the large bolted on wing.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:15 AM
Coen_de_K
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I LOVE this wing extension!! GREAT looks!!

Old 11-25-2007, 07:41 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Anyone ever think about molding this into the wing? It would make it look alot more "stock" and no one would even know it was PU. I think that would be a very clean install, and hey, you might want to take it one step further and then mold the wing into the hatch???

Old 11-25-2007, 07:44 AM
nallen00
2nd Gear
Tire Poo...

...a few hard laps at track day would be a really good indication of this part's efficacy. I've been involved in the design of special vehicles for some time, and RallyMINI is correct: this part is not going to make a bit of difference in debris accumulation. In fact, it's very similar to a Gurney Flap or "wickerbill", and this would create a more pronounced low pressure zone just below the spoiler. Gurneys themselves don't generate a lot of downforce, it's not what they do. The primary goal is to upset the air, which helps to prevent flow separation - the phenomena where the turbulent layers gradually separate from the laminar layers beneath and become viscid. Essentially, that just means that it no longer contributes to any meaningful end. Gurneys are great where there is a need to keep the airflow where it belongs - such as over and through an open-wheel racing car - and, while it certainly helps, the MINI needs more than a 'bill to rectify is aero-anarchist shape. Of course, that's just the engineer talking - the MINIphile says HELLS YA Bottom line: there'll be no less tire poo on your back side at the end of the day. Could help some at around town speeds when the vortices are closer to the car - sort of a scrubbing action. However, it would require something larger in surface area than this part to make it work. Anyhoo, GREAT looking part. Been looking for some decent real-world pics to judge fit and finish, and am VERY impressed. Can't wait to paste one on Pepin

FIY

This is precisely why skirting has such a tremendous impact on the aerodynamic efficiency of hatchbacks: the bespoke vacuum has a nasty habit of influencing airflow along the rockers to migrate under the car. But because air at the rear bumper is constantly fluctuating between low and high pressure flows, it's forced to stall near the rear axle centerline, building lift as the vehicle's speed increases. This is common to all cars, but far more pronounced with hatchbacks. Sorta explains the GP's GINORMOUS skirting

Looking forward...

Last edited by nallen00; 11-25-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:19 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I like where you are going with that
The recessed lip on the extension wing really allows the wing to sit tight to the OEM wing.
A one piece would be Slick for sure.
I really like how the curves of the OEM/Extension really complement each other, Having it without the seam would make it perfect!

P.S.... My new profile pics will have to wait, I just removed my Xenon headlights so the car will not be driven for a bit. I'm currently working on the "Joey Mod" so once my headlights are painted to match as well as the headlight rings. I will post some really updated pics.

Originally Posted by ChrisMCS04
Anyone ever think about molding this into the wing? It would make it look alot more "stock" and no one would even know it was PU. I think that would be a very clean install, and hey, you might want to take it one step further and then mold the wing into the hatch???

Last edited by MidniteCoop; 11-25-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Trip024
4th Gear
Maybe a not so bright question. But can carbon fiber be painted to match?

Old 11-25-2007, 10:09 AM
emsjr
3rd Gear
It really does help...

I have their original wing extension and I too don't know why, but it really does help with the dirt off the back glass and boot area. I have had mine on for over a year so I have been able to test it for a good number of miles, especially through our long dry summer.

It DOES NOT eliminate all of it but I would say it cuts it down by at least 50%. I used to take the duster to the boot everytime I parked the car for the night, now, maybe every 3rd. day.

It works, don't ask me how, but it does.

Gene
www.bugguardsforbeemers.com

Old 11-25-2007, 12:24 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by nallen00
...a few hard laps at track day would be a really good indication of this part's efficacy. I've been involved in the design of special vehicles for some time, and RallyMINI is correct: this part is not going to make a bit of difference in debris accumulation. In fact, it's very similar to a Gurney Flap or "wickerbill", and this would create a more pronounced low pressure zone just below the spoiler. Gurneys themselves don't generate a lot of downforce, it's not what they do. The primary goal is to upset the air, which helps to prevent flow separation - the phenomena where the turbulent layers gradually separate from the laminar layers beneath and become viscid. Essentially, that just means that it no longer contributes to any meaningful end. Gurneys are great where there is a need to keep the airflow where it belongs - such as over and through an open-wheel racing car - and, while it certainly helps, the MINI needs more than a 'bill to rectify is aero-anarchist shape. Of course, that's just the engineer talking - the MINIphile says HELLS YA Bottom line: there'll be no less tire poo on your back side at the end of the day. Could help some at around town speeds when the vortices are closer to the car - sort of a scrubbing action. However, it would require something larger in surface area than this part to make it work. Anyhoo, GREAT looking part. Been looking for some decent real-world pics to judge fit and finish, and am VERY impressed. Can't wait to paste one on Pepin

FIY
This is precisely why skirting has such a tremendous impact on the aerodynamic efficiency of hatchbacks: the bespoke vacuum has a nasty habit of influencing airflow along the rockers to migrate under the car. But because air at the rear bumper is constantly fluctuating between low and high pressure flows, it's forced to stall near the rear axle centerline, building lift as the vehicle's speed increases. This is common to all cars, but far more pronounced with hatchbacks. Sorta explains the GP's GINORMOUS skirting

Looking forward...
Ok, do you actually have one of these installed? We have two different people that have these installed that have said that it DOES make a differance, Longboard and now emsjr, so are you saying that they don't know what they are talking about?

Old 11-25-2007, 01:53 PM
nallen00
2nd Gear
LOL...

JIMINNI
...I'M the bad guy? In fact, there is no difference in accumulation - it's all there. It's simply been displaced lower on the bonnet where it's not quite as easy to notice as the back glass. This is why I suggested some track time, where tire dust is far easier to quantify. What is it you do for a living? I've more than 10 YEARS engineering special vehicles, including Champ Car (Walker Racing) and ALMS (Pratt & Miller). You? Ever had to clean up the back side of a REAL racing car? Big difference between speculation and fact, it's called EXPERIENCE. No one was pointing fingers in accusation, nor was anyone's COMPETENCE called into question until you chimed in

EVERYONE ELSE
It seems as though the scrubbing effect I mentioned is doing a good job of moving buildup off the back glass. Appearances can be deceiving, so if you really think it's making that big a difference, try a few laps and snap some pics after. Just because the glass is shiny, doesn't mean it's been eliminated. Believe me, if it were that easy, we'd have been filth free a long time ago. However, it is a completely INNOCENT oversight to think there is any attenuation happening here, so I apologize if my input has been taken as a personal attack - it's not what I intended. BTW, mine's in the mail

Looking forward...

PS. I'm digging on those ricey tail lights and Pep Boys graphics JIMINNI. Looking for a fart can?

Last edited by nallen00; 11-25-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:19 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
JIMINNI
...I'M the bad guy? In fact, there is no difference in accumulation - it's all there. It's simply been displaced lower on the bonnet where it's not quite as easy to notice as the back glass. This is why I suggested some track time, where tire dust is far easier to quantify. What is it you do for a living? I've more than 10 YEARS engineering special vehicles, including Champ Car (Walker Racing) and ALMS (Pratt & Miller). You? Ever had to clean up the back side of a REAL racing car? Big difference between speculation and fact, it's called EXPERIENCE. No one was pointing fingers in accusation, nor was anyone's COMPETENCE called into question until you chimed in

EVERYONE ELSE
It seems as though the scrubbing effect I mentioned is doing a good job of moving buildup off the back glass. Appearances can be deceiving, so if you really think it's making that big a difference, try a few laps and snap some pics after. Just because the glass is shiny, doesn't mean it's been eliminated. Believe me, if it were that easy, we'd have been filth free a long time ago. However, it is a completely INNOCENT oversight to think there is any attenuation happening here, so I apologize if my input has been taken as a personal attack - it's not what I intended. BTW, mine's in the mail

Looking forward...

PS. I'm digging on those ricey tail lights and Pep Boys graphics JIMINNI. Looking for a fart can?
Good reply, guess I must bow to you, Another know it all chimes in. I never called you a "bad guy". I'll repeat my very basic question, do you have one installed? If you don't then go polish a champ car or something and if you dont like my car, who the heck cares, my kid's like it . And my main occupation is a dad, whats your's?

Old 11-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear

FIY

Looking forward...

You do sound experianced. Nice explanation . I think you took JIMINNI's post the wrong way.

I understand what you wrote. All I am saying is that it made a big difference. Like I said before. I have no answer as to why it helps. Your experience tells you it shouldn't. My real world first hand experience tells me it does. I would wash my car, drive 5 miles on the freeway and it would look like I forgot to wash the back.

This pic was taken at my work after my 25 mile commute. The back of the car would never look like this before. I don't know what else to say.

Longboard

Old 11-25-2007, 02:44 PM
nallen00
2nd Gear
LOLOL...

JIMINNI
...don't need one installed DAD, I've been around it all my life In any event, we'll put it to the test when mine arrives. MAN, don't you have some diapers to change or something. KNOW IT ALL...BAAHHH BTW, nice play on the kids. I'll post some data here after we get some testing done, including it's REAL aerodynamic benefits. Until then...P.U.

LONGBOARD
Thanks, and I completely understand where you're coming from. I guess it's an issue where my experience is based on the behavior of tire dust, which has a slightly greater tendency to stick than road dust. Then again, that really shouldn't matter. The difference in adhesion just isn't that great. Nevertheless, I'll do some track testing once mine arrives. BTW, that's a pretty MINI you have there - haven't seen many in black and white.

Looking forward...

Last edited by nallen00; 11-25-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:45 PM
YakiMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Trip024
Maybe a not so bright question. But can carbon fiber be painted to match?
Yes it can. I've got a friend who matched his PU CF Scoop to his body color. (Chili Red)

Old 11-25-2007, 02:56 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
JIMINNI
...don't need one installed DAD, I've been around it all my life In any event, we'll put it to the test when mine arrives. MAN, don't you have some diapers to change or something. KNOW IT ALL...BAAHHH BTW, nice play on the kids. I'll post some data here after we get some testing done, including it's REAL aerodynamic benefits. Until then...P.U.

Looking forward...
I'll be on pins and needles waiting for your scientific evidence on microscopic dust particals on your rear glass . You are a true engineer, over analyzing basic stuff and not listening to real people as Longboards post says again that it made a "real world" difference. So do you have any more smart remarks to make? P.S. you sound like a teenager, are you?

Old 11-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
JIMINNI

Looking forward...
18 posts and you are already talking like this . Welcome to NAM.

Climb down from the ceiling and relax. It sounds like you have allot of experience to offer. Unfortunately no one is going listen if you keep this up.

Longboard

Old 11-25-2007, 03:12 PM
nallen00
2nd Gear
LOLOLOL...

JIMINNI
...OMG, who the hell are you? I'm gonna print off some copies of that last one for the other obsessive-compulsives at work. And that's 30 years, if you must know. You sound like all the machinists and fabricators I've ever worked with. Problem is, they're all still machining and fabricating (None taken from them, that's what they do, and they do some amazing work.) Well, it sounds like you've reduced everything to a very basic and manageable level for yourself, so good for you I'll see ya later with that microscopic dust.

LONGBOARD
You're right. Sorry for the ranting, fellas. climbing down, pills took

Looking forward...

Last edited by nallen00; 11-25-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:30 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
JIMINNI
...OMG, who the hell are you? I'm gonna print off some copies of that last one for the other obsessive-compulsives at work. And that's 30 years, if you must know. You sound like all the machinists and fabricators I've ever worked with. Problem is, they're all still machining and fabricating (None taken from them, that's what they do, and they do some amazing work.) Well, it sounds like you've reduced everything to a very basic and manageable level for yourself, so good for you I'll see ya later with that microscopic dust.

LONGBOARD
You're right. Sorry for the ranting, fellas. climbing down, pills took, going to bed

Looking forward...
Backtracking on some of your venom I see . Any way you have a good nights sleep, you need it .

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Palo Uber C.F. Extension Wing