Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Rear Seat Delete Cabinet Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rear Seat Delete Cabinet Project

I'm mostly done with a rear seat delete cabinet. So, I thought I'd post some photos of the finished cabinet and some taken in process.

The main point of this was that I rarely carry more than one passenger and the rear seats in my Integra have bugged me for many years. So, with the MINI, I thought I'd get rid of them and put up a barrier to keep cargo from coming forward in a quick stop or accident. I also wanted to make the cargo area concealed so people couldn't see what was in there.

Since the back would be sealed off, I thought I should move the 6x9 speakers. The wiring is not finished. It will be better hidden at some point. The speakers are Infinity Kappa 693.7i. I think I'm going to have to go with a full audio upgrade using a clean sweep and new amp. The crossovers in the HIFI don't seem suited for the Kappas. No bass comes through.

The front of the cabinet is painted metalic black. The fuzzy material is "Subwoofer Box Carpet" from Crutchfield and looks very much like the interior of the MINI. The trim is Ziricote hardwood.

The cargo areas in the back were painted with a textured "Stone" paint and then oversprayed with metalic black. Black pile carpet covers the floor.

Here is how it began:

This is the area where the rear seats were. The wooden pieces are attached to existing elements in the MINI without drilling any holes in the car. The rear part uses two boards that are clamped to brackets similar to those used for hooking cargo nets in the boot.

The front piece uses wooden pins going through loops that the seats snapped onto.

The seat cavity was filled with acoustic batting.

A floor of 1/2" Finnish Birch plywood was attached to the boards with T-nuts and machine screws in the front and wood screws in the back.

The floor was removed and a cabinet attached to it. Here are photos of the cabinet being built. It is made of 3/8" Finnish Birch plywood.

The difficult part about this cabinet is that very few joints are right angles. Typically there are two angles involved in each edge. Getting it all to fit was a mind twister and required a lot of care. I had to re-cut more than one piece when I got one of the angels backwards on the saw.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:04 AM
jyarrow
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's amazing. I love the tissue holder and the additional cargo space. Nice work.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:44 AM
jw34
6th Gear
Yeah the tissue holder was a nice touch. But wow, overall what an amazing project to get into. So have you noticed any difference having the dynamat?

Old 10-20-2007, 08:52 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Not to take glory away from your cool little project... But aren't you the one who was giving me a hard time about the weight of my wife's OEM rims and run flats (which is trivial compared to this behemoth)??? Talk about adding a substantial amount of weight to your car! That box has to weigh close to 200 pounds (or more when you account for speakers, amps, etc.). And to think... Some folks complain about the weight of a silly sun roof. :impatient Nothing like having a fat guy sitting in your back seat permanently eh.

Really nice job though.

Last edited by TheOfficeMaven; 10-20-2007 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
Not to take glory away from your cool little project... But aren't you the one who was giving me a hard time about the weight of my wife's OEM rims and run flats (which is trivial compared to this behemoth)??? Talk about adding a substantial amount of weight to your car! That box has to weigh close to 200 pounds (or more when you account for speakers, amps, etc.). And to think... Some folks complain about the weight of a silly sun roof. :impatient Nothing like having a fat guy sitting in your back seat permanently eh.

Really nice job though.
It isn't even close to 200 lbs. I was carrying the cabinet around in one hand before it was attached to the floor. This isn't normal plywood. It is made of birch in very thin layers. Some people know it as Baltic Birch Plywood, but this particular ply is from Finland. Some people refer to it as organic aluminum. It is very strong, so doesn't have to be thick. The cabinet was 3/8" not 3/4".

I didn't weigh it because I don't have an accurate scale that would handle something like that. My guess, based on the the specific gravity of Baltic Birch, is that with the Dynamat it added about 60 lbs. Subtract from that the weight of the rear seats. Oh, and the Kappa speakers are a little lighter than the stock speakers they replaced. They have special magnets that allow them to be lighter.

Also, there is a big difference between sprung weight and unsprung weight. Unsprung weight (wheels, tires, brakes, etc.) has a more profound effect on ride comfort, braking, handling, and acceleration.

In comparison to a sunroof, the weight of this mod is much lower. The Dynamat (about 20 lbs) is mostly on the bottom of the interior. The floor at about 14 lbs is also very low. The material to make the cabinet would have weighed about 22 lbs., but there was a lot of scrap. The sunroof weights more than my mod added to the car (after subtracting the weight of the seats), and is at the very top of the car, raising its center of gravity.

Last edited by Robin Casady; 10-20-2007 at 11:02 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jw34
Yeah the tissue holder was a nice touch. But wow, overall what an amazing project to get into. So have you noticed any difference having the dynamat?
Thanks. The Dynamat did make a big difference in sound coming from the back. However, there is still a lot of sound coming from the front. So, it needs to be done to the floor under the front seats and foot wells, and possibly the doors.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:40 PM
jw34
6th Gear
Doing the doors would be an interesting experiment. I think in most cars they are a weak link in cabin noise.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jw34
Doing the doors would be an interesting experiment. I think in most cars they are a weak link in cabin noise.
I hear that they are extremely difficult to do. You have to remove the entire window mechanism and reports are that it is major project.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:43 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Nice project.
Thanks for posting.
I would have thought a subwoofer would be a natural to include.
Maybe build it into the floor and hide the amp.
Even a sub in the place of the two 6x9s and run just component front speakers in the doors or similar.

If you like your results that's all that matters.

Any ideas for a rear cargo area security cover?

Old 10-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune

Nice project.
Thanks for posting.
I would have thought a subwoofer would be a natural to include.
Maybe build it into the floor and hide the amp.
Even a sub in the place of the two 6x9s and run just component front speakers in the doors or similar.
Thanks.

My original idea was just to replace the HIFI speakers and be done with the audio. Now...

I hope to get a chance to hear Unixgal's audio upgrade. That might persuade me of the value of a sub.

If you like your results that's all that matters.
No, I'm not happy with the current state of the audio.

Any ideas for a rear cargo area security cover?
So far, I'm thinking of just using a heavy black cloth or leatherette. Still thinking about it.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:06 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Very ambitious project, well done!

Does the relatively thin wood give you problems with resonance? I would expect the wood to add its own sound to the mix.

About the missing bass -- does the air volume of the enclosure match the compliance/free air resonance of the woofers? If it's too tight, less bass; too loose, distorted bass.

Again, congratulations on the project!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:51 AM
mystfynyou
3rd Gear
you forgot to add in the weight of the tissue box this looks great. i love the stone effect on the back of the cabinet.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:10 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is one nice use of space. Very good looking. Nicely thought out and well made. Hope you have fun with even more mods.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by oldsbear
Very ambitious project, well done!

Does the relatively thin wood give you problems with resonance? I would expect the wood to add its own sound to the mix.
No resonance. The speaker box is a separate unit in the center. It is made of MDF. It attaches to the Birch ply cabinet with isolation pads.

About the missing bass -- does the air volume of the enclosure match the compliance/free air resonance of the woofers? If it's too tight, less bass; too loose, distorted bass.

Again, congratulations on the project!
I've not been able to find "compliance/free air resonance" specs for Infinity Kappa 693.7i. I called Crutchfield and they couldn't find anything. They did point me to some speaker boxes they sell that are similar in size and shape to mine. They also suggested that speaker baffles might help the bass, but it seems that they would reduce the free air space.

A very rough calculation on my boxes is that they have > 220 cu. in. free air. Any thoughts on that?

Old 10-24-2007, 04:00 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
No resonance. The speaker box is a separate unit in the center. It is made of MDF. It attaches to the Birch ply cabinet with isolation pads.

A very rough calculation on my boxes is that they have > 220 cu. in. free air. Any thoughts on that?
There are two designs for woofers: acoustic suspension (sealed box) and tuned port (box with a tube to the outside). The specs I found for this speaker indicate a rubber surround. Rubber surrounds are usually quite compliant, so this suggests that the designer expects the speaker to be used in a sealed box whose air would act like a spring, keeping the cone's motion under control.

Assuming that you have an airtight box, I would expect the needed volume to be twice to three times the 220 cubic inches you have. High-compliance 8" woofers I have used needed about a cubic foot of sealed air space.

There's a fairly complex relationship between coil impedance, surround compliance, free-air resonance, magnetic flux, and box volume -- and a formula to go with it. I don't have the data or the formula at hand, so this is a semi-educated guess.

The speaker specs I saw indicated a separate crossover. Are you feeding the amplifier's full spectrum to the speaker's crossover? If not, it may be that the bass is simply being filtered-out. I have no idea how the MINI's amplifier output is wired.

Reversed polarity on one of the speakers is another possibility. Right channel and left channel bass can cancel each other if they are out of phase.

If I am being obtuse or begging the obvious, please forgive. Just giving it a shot.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Thanks for your help.

There are two designs for woofers: acoustic suspension (sealed box) and tuned port (box with a tube to the outside). The specs I found for this speaker indicate a rubber surround. Rubber surrounds are usually quite compliant, so this suggests that the designer expects the speaker to be used in a sealed box whose air would act like a spring, keeping the cone's motion under control.

Assuming that you have an airtight box, I would expect the needed volume to be twice to three times the 220 cubic inches you have. High-compliance 8" woofers I have used needed about a cubic foot of sealed air space.

There's a fairly complex relationship between coil impedance, surround compliance, free-air resonance, magnetic flux, and box volume -- and a formula to go with it. I don't have the data or the formula at hand, so this is a semi-educated guess.
What happens when someone puts a baffle behind the speaker? I would think that would kill it, but the guy at Crutchfield said it would help the bass.

The speaker specs I saw indicated a separate crossover. Are you feeding the amplifier's full spectrum to the speaker's crossover? If not, it may be that the bass is simply being filtered-out. I have no idea how the MINI's amplifier output is wired.
The MINI HIFI has two sets of wires going to the 6x9 location. One for the woofer and one for the tweeter. I assume there is a crossover in the HIFI amp. One of the reasons I chose the Kappas was because they have two inputs (result of having a separate crossover).

I had assumed that the crossover to the 6x9s were what was limiting the bass, but other NAMers claim they are getting bass out of their HIFI 6x9s. On my setup, all the bass comes out of the larger speakers in the doors.

Reversed polarity on one of the speakers is another possibility. Right channel and left channel bass can cancel each other if they are out of phase.
Is there a way to check the polarity of the feed wires. I don't want to gut the car again just to make sure I didn't switch wires on one side.

If I am being obtuse or begging the obvious, please forgive. Just giving it a shot.
It would be useful to know exactly how much free air the Infinity Kappa 693.7i needs.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:46 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Thanks for your help.

What happens when someone puts a baffle behind the speaker? I would think that would kill it, but the guy at Crutchfield said it would help the bass.

I'm not sure what kind of baffle he would be talking about. In my language a baffle is something that isolates. At low frequencies a baffle is always used to separate the sound coming off the front of the speaker from the sound coming off the back. Since their phase is opposite, the front and back sound tend to cancel each other. This is the reason for having a box. It is the baffle that separates the front and back wave.

People who set a woofer on a shelf without mounting it in a baffle get far less bass because the front wave and back wave are neutralizing each other.

It's essentially the principle used in the Bose noise-cancelling headphones, but Bose has to actually generate a very complex inverse analog of the noise waveform to cancel it.

The MINI HIFI has two sets of wires going to the 6x9 location. One for the woofer and one for the tweeter. I assume there is a crossover in the HIFI amp. One of the reasons I chose the Kappas was because they have two inputs (result of having a separate crossover).

I noticed the Kappas are rated at 2 ohm impedance. What is the impedance of the stock woofers? 4 ohm and 8 ohm are more common values. Speculating: maybe the 2 ohm speakers are trying to draw more power than the amp can tolerate, and it's protecting itself by attenuating the signal?

I had assumed that the crossover to the 6x9s were what was limiting the bass, but other NAMers claim they are getting bass out of their HIFI 6x9s. On my setup, all the bass comes out of the larger speakers in the doors.

Have you tried connecting the amp's output to regular home-style speakers to see what they sound like? This is a relatively easy test, to see what is actually coming out of the amplifier.

Is there a way to check the polarity of the feed wires. I don't want to gut the car again just to make sure I didn't switch wires on one side.

The simplest way is to reverse the wires going to one of the speakers. This is as easy as cutting one pair in half at a convenient spot and then splicing them back together, but not the same. Meaning, if you had a red and a black going to one of the woofers, you would cut them and then splice the black to the red and the red to the black. Polarity is thereby reversed. If you hear improved bass, then polarity is at least part of the problem. If the bass is worse, then you just put black on black and red on red again. No harm done except that it won't be quite as neat-looking.

It would be useful to know exactly how much free air the Infinity Kappa 693.7i needs.
Or, how much trapped air it needs! The speaker cone moves like a piston, and the way it compresses air determines the volume and accuracy of the sound you hear. I haven't found a full spec sheet on the web, but I will give it another try.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:53 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Thanks for your help.

693.7i needs.
Sorry, I hadn't noticed the hot link to the Crutchfield baffle blurb. This baffle is for people who are mounting speakers in doors that leak water and dust. It is not needed for your installation. It separates the speaker from contamination. By restricting the air space behind the woofer, it might actually reduce bass response.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
In case I wasn't clear, the 220 cu. in. is for each speaker. The box has a divider. So, there are two air-tight compartments with 220 cu. in. each.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:05 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
In case I wasn't clear, the 220 cu. in. is for each speaker. The box has a divider. So, there are two air-tight compartments with 220 cu. in. each.
Okay on that. Without any data to work from, I would guess that 400 - 600 cu. in. per speaker would be better, but that is major surgery and a last resort.

I would try the two relatively easy checks, as described above:

1. Hook-up the MINI HiFi amplifier to a pair of good living-room speakers you are familiar with, and see how it sounds. Despite any difference in impedance between home and auto speakers, that would give you an idea of what sound to expect, and whether there's a problem in the amp.

2. Reverse the polarity on one of the speaker wires leading to the bass side of the Kappas, as described above.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:19 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Thanks! Just what I was looking for

A friend wants to do a seat delete for his 2007 MCS. Your pix will be quite helpful!

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:12 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Okay on that. Without any data to work from, I would guess that 400 - 600 cu. in. per speaker would be better, but that is major surgery and a last resort.

I would try the two relatively easy checks, as described above:

1. Hook-up the MINI HiFi amplifier to a pair of good living-room speakers you are familiar with, and see how it sounds. Despite any difference in impedance between home and auto speakers, that would give you an idea of what sound to expect, and whether there's a problem in the amp.
What I have are NHT speakers. A 1.5 would be easiest to get into the car. However, it is 8 ohms and the system is designed for 2 ohm. Any problem there? I know it is bad to go the other way (using a lower ohm speaker), but will an 8 ohm sound OK?

2. Reverse the polarity on one of the speaker wires leading to the bass side of the Kappas, as described above.
Did that. Doesn't help.

Something I don't understand; how could a car speaker be successful if it was dependent on an air-tight enclosure of a specific size? Different cars are going to have different spaces, and few would be air tight. For example, the MINI 6x9 location is quite large. It goes over the wheel well and is open at the rear where the amp is.

I wonder if porting my cabinet would help?

FWIW, the stock speakers don't produce bass when they are put in my cabinet.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
I just received this message from Infinity:

"Although all of our multi element mobile loudspeakers were designed for free air installation, in order to obtain optimal base performance of the speaker we recommend that you use a sealed enclosure with a volume of 1 - 1.5 ft^3 per speaker to maintain proper bass performance."

I've sent a message asking if I could use a ported enclosure to good effect. It seems like it is that, or tear the whole cabinet apart.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:09 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
What I have are NHT speakers. A 1.5 would be easiest to get into the car. However, it is 8 ohms and the system is designed for 2 ohm. Any problem there? I know it is bad to go the other way (using a lower ohm speaker), but will an 8 ohm sound OK?

You could get a good idea of what's going on by just setting a speaker beside the car and running jumpers to it. A piece of lamp cord would be fine. Using an 8-ohm speaker won't hurt anything. It will just demand less from the amplifier, and might need a little volume boost. I suppose the response curve would be different, but complete accuracy isn't important here -- just whether the bass is getting through.

Something I don't understand; how could a car speaker be successful if it was dependent on an air-tight enclosure of a specific size? Different cars are going to have different spaces, and few would be air tight. For example, the MINI 6x9 location is quite large. It goes over the wheel well and is open at the rear where the amp is.

True: every car will have a different volume of air behind the cone, and in most installations the air would not be in a sealed box. It would even leak around the baffle at some point. Therefore, the surround and spider must not be too compliant, else the uncontrolled movement could shoot the voice coil right out of the voice coil gap when a user cranked the volume way up.

To the speaker manufacturer's advantage, few people will listen critically enough to tell the difference. Most have never heard a good loudspeaker, and listening to any loudspeaker in a car is dicey if you're a perfectionist. Room boundaries have a huge effect on perceived audio, and the boundaries in a car are all over the place!

I wonder if porting my cabinet would help?

Porting could be a good way to cope. I have experimented with ported speakers and found that the diameter and length of the port is crucial. The port tube maintains a controlled pressure within the box, while allowing more cone excursion than a sealed box would. The pressure has to be tuned to the speaker and volume of the box. Again, there is a formula, but I have lost track of it. If you are a patient and persistent man, as I suspect you are, you could start with a hole of perhaps one inch diameter, and a piece of PVC pipe to fit, and almost the depth of the box. Then you could slide it in and out and try different lengths. If there was some improvement, you might venture a slightly larger hole. But, with a cone only 6 x 9, and a small box, you wouldn't want to jump right to 2 inches. When you found the right port, you could simply seal it in place with silicone rubber caulk.

You could work on just one side, using the previous speaker as a reference for comparison, then duplicate the configuration on the other.

FWIW, the stock speakers don't produce bass when they are put in my cabinet.

This leads me to think that the test using household speakers is a very important "first" step. It may be that the amp simply isn't producing any bass. (Is the bass side of the amp fused? Someone may have cranked the bass and volume past their tolerance, and blew the voice coils and/or a fuse in the amp -- hopefully, not the bass side of the amp, as well.)

Old 10-25-2007, 04:16 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
I just received this message from Infinity:

"Although all of our multi element mobile loudspeakers were designed for free air installation, in order to obtain optimal base performance of the speaker we recommend that you use a sealed enclosure with a volume of 1 - 1.5 ft^3 per speaker to maintain proper bass performance."

I've sent a message asking if I could use a ported enclosure to good effect. It seems like it is that, or tear the whole cabinet apart.
Kudos to Infinity! I wouldn't have expected that. Judging by the box size they recommend, the speakers must be less compliant than I imagined. That would be consistent with free air installation. (Free air installation is equivalent to "infinite baffle," which is what you get if you install a speaker in a house's wall. The back wave sends music to one room, the front wave to the other. They are out of phase, but that's fine so long as the speaker is in that wall -- acting as an infinite baffle.)

Infinity would certainly have the resources to tell you the proper port configuration. I hope they come through for you.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Rear Seat Delete Cabinet Project