Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Palo Uber Tuner Lugs; what's up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:37 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
At a lower temperature, the same amount of air is denser, containing more oxygen. The ECU recognizes this and increases the fuel to get the right AF ratio, and bingo--go faster.
Yes, this is true... the result is more fuel consumed, leading to better performance.

And if we're being *strictly* technical, we could get into the fact that the intercooler on the MINI is really not an "inter" cooler at all, since there's no multi-stage compression happening. No need to go nuts though.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:05 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Originally Posted by ImagoX
...And if we're being *strictly* technical, we could get into the fact that the intercooler on the MINI is really not an "inter" cooler at all, since there's no multi-stage compression happening. No need to go nuts though.
Yes, I think it was Don (dmh) who introduced us all to the term "aftercooler" as that is strictly speaking what we have. I can tell you it cools the air charge, that's for sure! My many measurement continue to amaze me regarding how well it cools air that is moving pretty darn fast through those fins, even at low speeds.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:59 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Since many of the comments here regarded reputation based on various NAM postings, has there ever been any thought to having a vendor "rankings" section on NAM where actual purchasers of products could vote on a 1-5 scale (or 1-10) regarding the three essentials (product quality, product value, and customer service)? Seems like it would be a good idea and would boil down the "he said, she said" to simple numbers that would largely speak for themselves.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:08 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackie
Since many of the comments here regarded reputation based on various NAM postings, has there ever been any thought to having a vendor "rankings" section on NAM where actual purchasers of products could vote on a 1-5 scale (or 1-10) regarding the three essentials (product quality, product value, and customer service)? Seems like it would be a good idea and would boil down the "he said, she said" to simple numbers that would largely speak for themselves.
I think it would be a very good idea as long as it worked sort of like Tire Rack's rankings that are based on people that HAVE purchased from a certain vendor. Now how NAM would be able to control that might be the rub. If you had vendor rankings based on opinions by people who had heard or been told or read something about a vendor, it would be about as useful as **** on a bull.... PS:In a court of law that is referred to as "hear say".

Last edited by minimarks; 08-01-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:43 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimarks
I think it would be a very good idea as long as it worked sort of like Tire Rack's rankings that are based on people that HAVE purchased from a certain vendor. Now how NAM would be able to control that might be the rub. If you had vendor rankings based on opinions by people who had heard or been told or read something about a vendor, it would be about as useful as **** on a bull.... PS:In a court of law that is referred to as "hear say".

I hope you noted in my suggestion post I stated that voting needs to be from actual purchasers and I don't think it would be that hard to monitor. Since the vendors who would really care about this are already advertisers here, you could require that anyone submitting a ranking identify the item(s) and date(s) of purchase and have that information be not just part of the data base summary, but automatically sent to the vendors who advertise too (NAM could also probably charge them more to cover this extra feature). The vendors could verify whether or not a voter did or did not make the purchase that relates to their vote. I think they would want to know what folks are saying about them and would eagerly monitor the voting. A vendor could challenge through NAM any vote they could not match up to their records and NAM could ask the voter to submit proof of the purchase on anything challenged. I think this would sort out pretty quickly and with such a system in place people would not be voting if they hadn't made a purchase. I think this is almost too easy NOT to do and it is sorely needed.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:45 PM
blackie
6th Gear
I hope Administration takes note of this idea and runs with it. I think it would be both a service and an additional revenue source to NAM. It is a win-win, except for any lousy vendors. You know what? A lousy vendor would either be forced to improve their products and services or stop advertising, as it would be a waste of time and money for them.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:50 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Speaking of CF and exterior mods, anyone purchase the M7 Carbon Fiber Rear License Plate Backer? How do you feel about it? Comments?

Old 08-01-2007, 08:51 PM
blackie
6th Gear
^^^^

& did it add HP or improve gas mileage?

Old 08-01-2007, 09:00 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Is there a comprehensive list anywhere of all the possible exterior CF mods you can make?

Old 08-02-2007, 06:14 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As to vendor rating:
I don't know how it works, but many (if not most) other forums have a system in place. One of the more popular M3 forums has a system for rating transactions with sellers on the forum's marketplace.
so, while I haven't researched it, I know such systems are out there and NAM wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Old 08-02-2007, 06:28 AM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eager2own
As to vendor rating:
I don't know how it works, but many (if not most) other forums have a system in place. One of the more popular M3 forums has a system for rating transactions with sellers on the forum's marketplace.
so, while I haven't researched it, I know such systems are out there and NAM wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel.

eBay does it with "feedbacks", so you're right; there are probably a few different methodologies that can be looked at as starting templates

Old 08-02-2007, 06:36 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Probably not going to happen as you don't bite the hand that feeds you. NAM runs off of sponsors, so there is a vested interest to keep them happy.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
This is true. But, it's true of many sites, as well. There must always be a balance between serving the "client" (i.e. us) and obtaining revenues (much like MC2 must balance between writing honest reviews and the revenues from sponsors). However, I am sure that NAM would not want to have a sponsor that does not provide good service to its members. A rating system, which is based on NAMers' views would let NAM off the hook and ecourage the vendor to do right by NAMers. A good, customer-oriented vendor would welcome the rating system, for it will do them good. As a general rule, I would be more inclined to use a sponsor than not, based on the assumption that, as a member of NAM, it is looking out for me and accepting vendors who do right by their customers. To reject a member-based rating system for fear of pissing off the vendor sends to opposite -- and wrong --- message.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:51 AM
Ords
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daflake
Probably not going to happen as you don't bite the hand that feeds you. NAM runs off of sponsors, so there is a vested interest to keep them happy.
While I would agree in theory, Vendors who produce quality products, stand behind their word and provide quality customer service wouldn't have to worry about rankings then, the ones who don't will.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:36 AM
edubledie
4th Gear
you can basically read a large chunk of the threads pertaining to palo uber and the level of service they provide and satisfaction they fail to create....draw your own conclusions though but "buyer beware" is def two words that come to mind when speaking of palo uber

Old 08-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Yep, and a rating system, based on NAMmers' experiences would help the buyer be(a)ware.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
There is a forum are for site suggestions. This disucssion on have an rating system would be noticed by NAM admins in that area instead of it being buried in this topic.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
They manage to notice when you say something like S**t, but good point.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:47 AM
edubledie
4th Gear
they manage to see that because then some tally wacker comes along and reports you .....p.s. no offense lol ( ive been reported before )=)

Old 08-02-2007, 09:56 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
^ I have reported the use of "tally wacker"

Old 08-02-2007, 10:20 AM
edubledie
4th Gear
lol ....noooooo....ur kidding right ? lol

Old 08-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
what the hell is a wally tacker??

Old 08-02-2007, 11:53 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
ur kidding right ?

what the hell is a wally tacker??
Go to wikipedia.org and search for tallywacker

Last edited by eager2own; 08-02-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Palo Uber Tuner Lugs; what's up?