Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior 07 MCS Hitch Receiver - For Bike Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:17 PM
basil49
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very clever to recycle the chrome strip there! -- looks pretty pro

Old 05-01-2008, 05:56 PM
KatiePickle
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitch/Spare Tire?

Has anyone used this hitch receiver on an R56 (non s)? Does it interfere with the space-saver spare at all? If not, can some of you with the S model post pictures of the underside of the receiver so I can see how much clearance it needs?

I was leaning toward roof racks, but it turns out I have a hard time lifting my bike over my head.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:40 AM
JMike
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by KatiePickle
Has anyone used this hitch receiver on an R56 (non s)? Does it interfere with the space-saver spare at all? If not, can some of you with the S model post pictures of the underside of the receiver so I can see how much clearance it needs?

I was leaning toward roof racks, but it turns out I have a hard time lifting my bike over my head.
I have the MiniFini hitch on my R56. Here is one picture of it I posted before:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...9&d=1200880460

Works Great. I bought just the 2" receiver which mounts by the 2 pins. It has a 1400lb towing capacity. I bought a bike carrier off of ebay for $80. I'm just now putting together a fold up trailer that I hope to be able to use to haul things home from the lumber yard when I need it and my motorcycle if needed to the shop.

I did the mounting of the hitch in my own garage. The spare tire (which is a full size tire) and exhaust heat shield are all still intact. My only issue I had with it was when I got to the point of drilling the holes into the bumper I then found out they didn't have the template for the R56 (non S) yet. So I ended up having to take my best guess at where to put the holes, a lot of praying, but it turned out great. And I like the question I get about what the holes are for.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:04 AM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
I am selling a brand new one I won for R53's R52's at the dragon for $225 if your interested

Old 05-02-2008, 08:04 AM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
nm...just saw you were asking for 07

Old 05-07-2008, 07:49 AM
basil49
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by KatiePickle

The MiniDoMore receiver lines up with the rear foglight on your R56:
http://www.minidomore.com/pdf/2007_H...oper_and_S.pdf
-- which would leave it well aft of your spare, and slightly above it.

Biggest advantage of this hitch is that you can use a regular bike carrier with a 1-1/4 inch drawbar immediately -- no extra attachments needed. Attaching a carrier to my R56 MCS (see gallery) is a one-minute job; same to remove it.
Agree with you about roof-racks ... aaaaand, you ARE gonna scratch the roof one day. This solution makes me much more inclined to take the car and the bike out more often --

Old 05-13-2008, 03:53 PM
fbirch
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by basil49
The MiniDoMore receiver lines up with the rear foglight on your R56:
http://www.minidomore.com/pdf/2007_H...oper_and_S.pdf
-- which would leave it well aft of your spare, and slightly above it.

Biggest advantage of this hitch is that you can use a regular bike carrier with a 1-1/4 inch drawbar immediately -- no extra attachments needed. Attaching a carrier to my R56 MCS (see gallery) is a one-minute job; same to remove it.
Agree with you about roof-racks ... aaaaand, you ARE gonna scratch the roof one day. This solution makes me much more inclined to take the car and the bike out more often --
I agree completely - a hitch mounted rear carrier is the way to go on this car. The bikes are more shielded behind the car; no need to drill holes or install unsightly pods on the roof; less chance of crashng into something in a low parking garage (like the one in my condo); and much easier to install and remove the bikes without scratching the car. I used mine for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was a breeze. I bought a neat Masterlock set pin from Wal-Mart that has a spring-loaded tip that folds down to lock the pin in place and secure the drawbar. Thus no fumbling under the bumper to insert a keeper pin into the set pin or to screw in a threaded set pin. Just push it through the hole and bend the tip down to lock it in place. Takes 5 seconds.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:04 PM
playtowin
2nd Gear
For an 08 MCS, any opinions on how difficult it is to cut the hole in the rear valence? Is it worth it to buy the valence with the hole in it from minidomore?

Old 05-13-2008, 04:17 PM
fbirch
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by playtowin
For an 08 MCS, any opinions on how difficult it is to cut the hole in the rear valence? Is it worth it to buy the valence with the hole in it from minidomore?
I used a dremmel tool with a simple round cutting disc and it took me about 10-15 minutes to cut the hole and adjust it so that the supplied rubber hole cover would push in securely. If you are reasonably handy with a dremmel tool, you can do it yourself. I strongly recommend that you first remove the rear valence from the bumper before you start cutting on it. You have to cut the rear valence all the way down to where it meets the painted bumper, and it would be easy to mess up the bumper if you try to cut it in place.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:19 PM
basil49
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fbirch
I used a dremmel tool with a simple round cutting disc and it took me about 10-15 minutes to cut the hole and adjust it so that the supplied rubber hole cover would push in securely. If you are reasonably handy with a dremmel tool, you can do it yourself. I strongly recommend that you first remove the rear valence from the bumper before you start cutting on it. You have to cut the rear valence all the way down to where it meets the painted bumper, and it would be easy to mess up the bumper if you try to cut it in place.
playtowin: +1 vote for doing it yourself, and +1 on the advice to remove the valence (the black plastic part) first ... MiniDoMore sends you a paper template to mark the hole; if you're not handy with a Dremel-tool, you could also do it with a fine-toothed coping saw.

Last edited by basil49; 05-13-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:23 PM
playtowin
2nd Gear
Thanks for the advice. I'll save the $$ and do it myself. I'm glad they provide a template because I wouldn't want to guess.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:57 PM
playtowin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fbirch
I bought a neat Masterlock set pin from Wal-Mart that has a spring-loaded tip that folds down to lock the pin in place and secure the drawbar. Thus no fumbling under the bumper to insert a keeper pin into the set pin or to screw in a threaded set pin. Just push it through the hole and bend the tip down to lock it in place. Takes 5 seconds.
fbirch, I finally ordered the hitch. I'll be installing it in the next week or two. Do you have a part number or a web link for the Masterlock set pin? It looks like it eliminates the only disadvantage to the hitch -- fumbling under the bumper.

Thanks,

Rick

Old 07-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Bezlar
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Anybody done this on a JCW kit does the hole line up in the valence?

Thanks

Old 07-02-2008, 01:34 PM
cwarner
Neutral
I am looking into buying a mini and a secure bike rack is really important for me. I currently have a Thule roof rack for my 2000 BMW 328Ci which locks the bike to the rack. The rack is "secured" to the car by a really odd bolt that requires a special tool. I would prefer to go with a hitch type rack as I am paranoid that one day I will impale my bike on the opening to my garage. So, can the X-sport rack be locked to the car? and can the bike be locked to the rack?

Old 07-02-2008, 03:40 PM
playtowin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cwarner
I am looking into buying a mini and a secure bike rack is really important for me. I currently have a Thule roof rack for my 2000 BMW 328Ci which locks the bike to the rack. The rack is "secured" to the car by a really odd bolt that requires a special tool. I would prefer to go with a hitch type rack as I am paranoid that one day I will impale my bike on the opening to my garage. So, can the X-sport rack be locked to the car? and can the bike be locked to the rack?
I've been considering getting the X-sport rack. It doesn't come with any integrated locks so I believe you would have to get a locking hitch pin to lock the rack to the car and a cable lock to lock the bikes to the rack.

The Thule Doubletrack and T2 have integrated locks but they are much more expensive.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:55 PM
cwarner
Neutral
Originally Posted by playtowin
I've been considering getting the X-sport rack. It doesn't come with any integrated locks so I believe you would have to get a locking hitch pin to lock the rack to the car and a cable lock to lock the bikes to the rack.

The Thule Doubletrack and T2 have integrated locks but they are much more expensive.
Thanks for the info on the Doubletrack. For the price difference, a cable lock would work pretty well.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:57 PM
playtowin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cwarner
Thanks for the info on the Doubletrack. For the price difference, a cable lock would work pretty well.
I've decided to go with the Saris Thelma rack. It is very lightweight (26 lbs) and holds the bikes without touching the frame. It's more expensive than the X-sport, but less than the Thule and Yakima. You still need a cable lock to secure the bikes and rack.

http://www.saris.com/p-298-thelma-2-bike.aspx

Old 07-05-2008, 08:37 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bor
I got one from Minidomore for my R56 - works great - just like it did on my R50.

X2. Had a minidomore on my R52 and now one on my R56. Works very well.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:11 AM
greystone
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
^^^ Are those your track tires?

Seiously, great to see people using trailers with Mini's.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:20 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by greystone
^^^ Are those your track tires?

Seiously, great to see people using trailers with Mini's.

Nahhh, just my offroad tires....

Mark

Old 08-06-2008, 11:57 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
After reading your posts, I just HAVE to resurrect the thread with a really DUMB question: when you guys installed your minidomore hitch, did you have to put it up on jacks or anything? I am NOT a gear head, nor am I really great at DIY stuff (i think i get worse when having to do something to my beautiful car!). But I really want the hitch for towing a small trailer. .. .. .. . ..

Old 08-06-2008, 12:29 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
No, not at all.... we did it on the floor in the shop. Just unbolt the rear bumper and install the hitch. Pretty simple really...20-25 minutes at most.

The problem is the wiring. Mini uses some wierd positive ground setup... I still haven't gotten my wired yet.

You will have to make a hole for the receiver to stick through. I just installed a set of JCW aero bumpers and had to cut a hole in the rear bumper so I could use my hitch.

Mark

Old 08-06-2008, 12:38 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Well, let this tell you just HOW paranoid I am - I spent the extra $90 to get the pre-cut valance. I justify this expense since a.) I really SUCK at cutting things well the first time and b.) if I ever go to sell the MINI (for a new one of course), I can remove the hitch and cut panel and take them with me to the new MINI. THeoretically. It briefs well. Ack. WIRING!!!! I forgot about that. I suck at wiring too. What have I gotten myself into?? I don't have rear-fogs...is wiring going to be a bad problem?

Old 08-07-2008, 05:51 AM
JMike
3rd Gear
I put the MINIFINI hitch on my MINI. I purchased the wiring adapter from them also and it was relatively easy to install. All done behind the two rear side covers in the boot. There is a Grommet below the right rear tail light that I ran all the wires out through. The only hard wire to run was the one to the battery (the adapter from MINIFINI is an isolation module that isolates the trailer wiring from the cars wiring to prevent any shorts). For the battery wire, I had to take the car to an auto hobby shop just so I could raise the car on a lift to run the wire under the car and zip tie the wire up out of the way.

The only modification I did to the wiring harness was that it came with a 4-5' trailer plug extension. This was to actually connect to the trailer plug and then run it under the boot hatch to plug into the plug coming off of the isolation module. I didn't want to have it marring up the bumper plastic running under the hatch so I actually cut this extension off near the plug for the isolation module. Ran the wires up through the grommet below the right rear taillight and put connectors on them so it could be easily disconnected and removed if desired. Then just looped the rest of the harness cord under the rear and using a velcro strap it's tucked up out of sight. When I connect my trailer I just reach up and pull down the harness and connect it to my trailer.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:57 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
JMike - that's a good description...

For those that have the Minidomore hitch - how does the wiring installation work? Do I need to get an additional wiring harness like the MINIFINI in JMike's description? -- That isolation wiring idea sounds like a bright idea to me....

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior 07 MCS Hitch Receiver - For Bike Carrier