Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Painted Wheel arches....

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 12:57 PM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else out there interested in doing this?
I'm still undecided between Pure Silver and Dark Silver.
My ideas are.....
Pure silver/DS roof, mirrors, and wheel arches. This or Black painted wheel arches with matching roof etc.
or
Dark Silver/Black roof, mirrors, DS wheel arches.... and an Aero kit.

Any thoughts?
SW

Old 08-14-2002, 01:59 PM
wessieball
2nd Gear
a

Last edited by wessieball; 05-17-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:18 PM
Sfiveten
5th Gear
wessieball,
Yes and no....
Yes, I'm talking about the fender flares.
No, you can't get them painted from the factory.

However..... if you want it done.... You dealer (for a price) can get it done.
You could also get it done through a paint and body shop (which is what the dealer will do).

We do have some pics of a couple Indi Blue MINIs with the painted arches..... Take a look at the Modded MINIs Gallery.
SW

Old 08-15-2002, 09:02 AM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Sfiveten,

Funny you should ask about this

Old 08-15-2002, 09:53 AM
minifinn
4th Gear
I am also ordering my MCS through Bill Jacobs. Do you have the phone contact for Accurate Autobody? Did Jacobs say that this work be done before I take delivery? I live 3 hours away and can't be without the car after I pick it up. $450 for all the flairs and spoilers?

Old 08-18-2002, 08:44 PM
silvermini
1st Gear
>>Anyone else out there interested in doing this?
>>I'm still undecided between Pure Silver and Dark Silver.
>>My ideas are.....
>>Pure silver/DS roof, mirrors, and wheel arches. This or Black painted wheel arches with matching roof etc.
>> or
>>Dark Silver/Black roof, mirrors, DS wheel arches.... and an Aero kit.
>>
>>Any thoughts?
>>SW
yes just one thought....

aero kit all the way with silver fender flares.

Old 08-22-2002, 08:38 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
minifinn,
Sorry for the delay in responding to your post but its been crazy here trying to get ready for my trip to Bill Jacobs tomorrow. Regardless I highly recommend Accurate Autobody. Give them a call at 630.369.5026 and speak with Stephanie. My car was the first that they've done a sand, prep, and paint on the wheel arches but they said that it was very easy and turned out great. They said that they aren't sure why more people don't do this. I worked it out with Andrew Zolper (the sales manager at Bill Jacob's MINI) and had them do it when they painted the aero kit for the car. When speaking to Andrew late last week he thought that it looked great. Sanding, prep, and painting of the arches ran $445.95 and is payable directly to Accurate (this includes the 2 arch pieces for each front corner, and 1 for each side on the rear...a total of six pieces). Prep and painting of the aero kit is a separate charge that is handled through the dealership. Bill Jacobs charges $2700 for the full aero kit which I seen run as much as $3200-3500 elsewhere. If you are comfortable with doing it I would recommend buying the kit yourself ($1200) and having your favorite auto body/paint shop paint it for you. I've heard that the MINI dealership will print you out a set of installation instructions so that you can install it yourself (and that it is relatively simple to do so).

One thing I highly recommend if you get the aero kit.....ask the dealership for the parts they take off! If you have them you can sell them later, restore the car to the non-aero look, etc. Given the cost of body parts and the fact that you've already paid for them...take them home and store them for a rainy day :smile:

I'll be posting pictures sometime next week of the new S

Hope this has helped!

Mark :D

>>I am also ordering my MCS through Bill Jacobs. Do you have the phone contact for Accurate Autobody? Did Jacobs say that this work be done before I take delivery? I live 3 hours away and can't be without the car after I pick it up. $450 for all the flairs and spoilers?

Old 08-22-2002, 09:14 PM
letsmotor
4th Gear
I am very interested in getting the aero kit with fenders painted body color. It seems that it would be easier for the paint shop to paint the whole kit body color instead of having an outline of black around the bottom edge of the kit. I have seen pictures of the MINI with the aero kit (including the grills) where everything is painted chili red which is a bit much. Besides separating one from most MINIs, the monochrome look would probably be easier to clean. No worries about wax in the black bits.

Have you considered having the grills outlined with the body color? I have seen a picture of a BRG MINI which had this done and it looks great. I think all of this looks better with darker colors though. Like I said the all chili red just did not look right to me.

Old 08-23-2002, 08:52 AM
MiniMe762
2nd Gear
I was at my local dealer yesterday, and they had Silver/Black Cooper with the aero kit and painted fender flares. It really looked sharp! I asked one of the salesmen if they did that at the dealership, and he said no, that it was a custom job done by the body shop they go to. I looked at the sticker price of the car, and they were charging no extra for it! I sure wish I had an extra $19,000 lying around...

I ordered the S Chrome fuel door from RSpeed, so when that comes in I'll find out who they use locally for painting. I may have to have a little chat with someone in the shop.