6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice install. Thanks for the write up!

Old 04-17-2007, 05:29 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Daytime running lights?

This thread has some solutions for making this work with PIAA light kits - same concepts could be applied to Hellas or others.

I'm very confused because there is a lot of mixed info on the yellow/green wire vs. the white/green wire. The only thing I can figure is that there's actually a change to the harness or light wiring at some point. Because I can say with 100% certainty that on my car, yellow/green feed the Xenons. How do I know? Because I tried it first. Then I unplugged the harness again, turned on the headlights, and took a voltmeter to the contacts in the plug and tested each wire to ground with and without the high beams on. I recommend you do this to be sure before tapping in...

Old 04-24-2007, 07:45 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I made one more enhancement to my install tonight - I got some large 12v red LEDs at RadioShack and wired one into my switched circuit. So now I have an indicator light anytime my driving lights are illuminated - whether with the override switch, or with the high beams.

I connected one lead to the white relay wire from the middle of my switch - and the other to ground. Taped the back of the LED to the wiring bundle of the switch, so the head of the LED assembly is pretty much even with the face of the switch in the parcel shelf cutout. Actually looks really good - and I have a nice bright red LED (that isn't in your line of sight while driving) to remind me that the driving lights are on - really nice in case I accidentally bump into "override" mode during the daytime - I'm sure to see the LED asI exit the car... I hope...

Old 04-25-2007, 09:05 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did something similar when I made my cabin switchbox... The blue LED on the leftmost side is actually an independent 5MM LED set into the metal face plate (the others are simple one-position LED toggle switches) - I wired it such that if my 2-way switch is at EITHER "on" position the LED lights up. I haven't forgotten to turn off the lights or the angel eyes since.

Not a great photo I know but...

Old 06-03-2007, 08:23 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Alright, I'm getting ready to wire these babies in in the next week, depending on when I get time.

I have an empty toggle...do you think it's possible that I can wire these into the empty rear fog slot with the three-position capability?

Old 06-03-2007, 09:45 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
Alright, I'm getting ready to wire these babies in in the next week, depending on when I get time.

I have an empty toggle...do you think it's possible that I can wire these into the empty rear fog slot with the three-position capability?
Sure if you can find a switch that will fit in there. The OEM switched are not mechanical - they're solid state and as sucn cannot be used for aftermarket accessories I'm afraid. I know I've seen screenshots of people that found chrome toggle switches that pretty closely matched the OEM toggles, though, but I don't know where...

Old 08-04-2007, 04:52 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
DONE!

After many hurdles (light kit missing pieces; then breaking one of the lenses, ordering and waiting for a new kit, deciding I wanted it to work via the rear fog toggle, working the details out with Ian, and then getting the full toggle panel from Classic), I FINALLY got this done today, almost three months after I started.

I used the above how-to, it helped a lot. The hardest part, which the how-to could not have helped with, was getting all the crap I currently have running behind my center stack stuffed back in there and getting the center stack modules all back in. It is realllllly crowded in there now. But the Hella 2500s look great, and the brackets are small and unobtrusive. Overall, the only change I'd make is to have all the hardware (except screws/bolts/etc) chromed. I still might. But for now, it looks good and I love it!

Pictures later. Right now I'm exhausted.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Revwillie
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, if I can re-cycle an image from THIS post by mangotangoe :

I have xenons with DRL enabled and I have front and rear fog lights. This is how I wired my lights. Since I didn't run through the firewall to a switch, the white wire is long enough to run up under the bonnet blanket to the Green and Yellow wire (yes, on the 06 hatchbacks, that's the hi beam wire). The yellow wire taps into the drivers side parking light (blue or green striped, not the brown wire). So, my 2500s are completely controlled by the OEM lights. I don't like aftermarket lights or buttons or switches inside the cabin.

I DO have the condensation problem pretty bad. I'm ready to try clear silicone, but would appreciate any advice on where to put it.

Last edited by Revwillie; 10-05-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:55 AM
anitan1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ImagoX
I'm putting this up because many people out there have asked me about the installation process of both the bonnet-mounted driving light brackets, as well as the installation/wiring of the lamps themselves. Hope this helps!

Installing The Outmotoring Bonnet Mounted Driving Light Brackets
Hey ImageoX,

Your posts are ALWAYS so helpful and this one is no different but, the link to this kit doesn't work anymore. I think this is the new link:

New!!! Outmotoring Bonnet Mounted Lights

Can you confirm that this is the kit you installed??