How To R53 Drivetrain :: Exhaust Install How-To

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 06:14 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R53 Drivetrain :: Exhaust Install How-To

Here is an overview of the requirements for changing the S exhaust system.

Tools Required
Jack and stands or Rhino ramps
10mm socket
15mm wrench (2) and socket
giant Channel Lock pliers
ratchet
WD-40
cardboard box

Time Required
2 hours

1) Wait for the car to cool off. This helps immensely with removing the bolts from the cat.

2) Jack the rear of the car up, and put in jack stands! The first time we did this, we just used two jacks (and stands), but since, we've been jacking the car up and placing the stands under the factory jack points.

2.5) Remove the battery tray with a 10mm; there are four plastic nuts that hold it in place.

3) Unbolt the center pipe to the cat with a 15mm.

4) Support the cat with a box.

5) Remove the center body hanger with a 10mm.

6) Now it's time to move to the rear of the car. The factory mufflers are held to the rubber hangers with a bracket. You will remove the bolts that hold the mufflers to these brackets with a 10mm.

Be sure to support the muffler as you remove these bolts, as the exhaust system will come down after they are out.

7) Lower the old exhaust and slide out.

This is what the car will look like.

This install was with the Borla system. The Magnaflow is very similar to this as far as installation goes. Here are some shots of the Borla system:

The Borla does have the "nubs" for the rubber hangers. This makes installation more fun :D .

The Magnaflow doesn't have these, which makes it a much easier install. Again, the Magnaflow is the best system I've seen as far as fit and finish go.

You can see the way the Magnaflow hangs on the factory rubber hangers without the "nubs"

8) Before you slide the new system under the car, you will need to remove the factory muffler brackets. The best way to do this is to pull the two 13mm nuts holding the outside hanger in place, then pry the inner part of the bracket off of the hanger. The tool to use is a GIANT plumber's ChannelLock and some WD40. Here's the bracket before it's removed:

This is what it looks like when the bracket is out and the new system is ready to go in:

10) You must also remove the center body hanger from the stock system and install it on the new system. The rubber hangers are bolted to this hanger with 10mm bolts. Remove the bolts and then use the ChannelLock method to remove the rubber hangers from the center pipe. Reverse the order to install it on the new system. Make sure that the forward part of the bracket is facing the right way! The bracket is held onto the car with six bolts. The bolt pattern has three bolts on each side, and two of them on each side are close together. You will want the bracket to have the 2 close bolts facing toward the front of the car. This is what it looks like installed on the new system (for this picture, the bracket is actually facing the wrong way):

11) Remove the rubber hanger from the factory muffler bracket that you unbolted earlier. Bolt up the rubber hanger back in place again. This is shown in the pic with the bracket removed further up the page.

12) Slide the system under the car. Be sure that when you put the system together, all clamps are in place, but not tightened yet.

13) Place the new muffler into the rubber hangers. Once you have the nubs started, use the ChannelLocks to push them into the rubber hangers. If you are doing the Magnaflow, they just slide right on - very nice 8)

14) Raise the center pipe to the cat. Make sure to reuse the stock gasket! Get the bolts started. Hold the cat for support to the system, and tighten the bolts with a 19mm socket on one side and a 19mm wrench on the other.

Support the cat with a box again.

15) Adjust the center pipe so that the s bend is higher toward the cat.

16) Line up the center body hanger bolt holes and get the bolts started.

17) Tighten the center pipe clamp.

18) Now line up the tip where you like it on the Borla. One of the nice aspects of the Magnaflow is that the "racetrack" is all one piece, so there's very little adjustment to be done. After you have the tip aligned, tighten the remaining clamps.

19) Start up the car and listen for any leaks. Adjust any of the clamps as necessary.

20) Another advantage of the Magnaflow is that the battery tray needs no modification. For the Borla, you need to fit the tray, mark where it rubs, and file or trim an area for the tips. Reinstall the tray.

Here is the installed system:

Here is the Magnaflow resonator that comes off of the cat:

Here's the Magnaflow installed:

The Quicksilver system is similar to the other two installs, except that the muffler is only on one side, so you don't have to replace the hanger when you take it out on the driver side. Here is the Quicksilver system:

Feel free to ask any clarification questions. Check out the available systems in the Exhaust section of the catalog.

Randy
720-841-1002
randy@webbmotorsports.com

Last edited by Mark; 05-26-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:03 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-21-2002, 07:07 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Thanks! I noticed in the Spring thread that you have the stock system back on the car. You interested in a Magnaflow, or are you gonna go with the Quicksilver (or Borla even for that matter)?

Old 12-21-2002, 07:48 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
The summation on the three exhausts I've installed:

Magnaflow: The best engineered of the bunch as far as install and fit. The highest horsepower gains. The loudest (but sweetest sounding as well). Funky but endearing tip design. 34 lbs. All stainless steel. Gains in power of between 10 and 15 horsepower depending on other modifications.

Quicksilver: The lightest of the group by far. Good power gains. Mellow sound, not as loud as the Magnaflow. Nice tip design reminiscent of the Porsche Boxster. 20 (you read that right) lbs. All stainless steel. Gains in power of between 8 and 13 horsepower depending on intake.

Borla: I like the Borla tips the best (subjective). Some power gains. Quietest of the bunch, but a nice improvement over the stock exhaust note. Lots of parts when compared to the other two systems. 34 lbs. All stainless steel. Gains in horsepower of between 7 and 9.

Video to ensue of all three systems for sound, with the most requested (Magnaflow) coming soon. It's kinda like a trilogy - Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and the MINI Exhaust systems.

Old 12-21-2002, 07:49 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Wow. Nicely written install guide.

BTW, I'm glad you had the patience to file through my imagestation photo galleries to piece this together. Great write-up.

Old 12-21-2002, 07:55 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
I completely neglected to give you the proper credit. All photos in the above How-To guide are by DiD!!! He has real talent.

Thanks, it took some work, but I think I covered everything. I would be glad to answer any questions or clarify any detail points.

Old 12-21-2002, 08:14 PM
ficcion
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Here is the link to the Magnaflow video/audio: MAGNAFLOW

Enjoy!

Old 12-21-2002, 08:16 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Zeek, my MCS, was just the test mule for an exhaust and intake comparison dyno day. When funds allow, I'd either go Magna or Quicksilver. Very partial to Quicksilver due to weight.

R

Old 12-21-2002, 08:38 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Magnaflow video above courtesy of ficcion

Old 12-21-2002, 09:03 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
>>Zeek, my MCS, was just the test mule for an exhaust and intake comparison dyno day. When funds allow, I'd either go Magna or Quicksilver. Very partial to Quicksilver due to weight.
>>
>>R

Zeek? I like the Quicksilver too because of that fact. After the Magnaflow burns out the packing material though, it sounds incredible! The burble on return to idle and part throttle lift absolutely rocks! And there is no doubt it makes power. I think now that the ECU has adapted, it screams. I'll be interested to get it on the dyno now that it "knows" the Magnaflow. I wouldn't doubt the 18hp claim, as long as you have the air to breathe to make the power (ie an intake).

That said, if you have five more horsepower, but you're carrying around another 14 lbs, it might be a wash. The only thing that I was thinking regarding the weight - you don't need anymore out of the back end - you need a carbon fiber hood or something to get rid of that front end weight. You can definitely feel a difference in the handling of the car just from the stock to Quicksilver change. That combined with the front swaybar setting - whoo hooo watch out! You may have a donut machine !

Randy (not Zeek )

MINI-Motorsport

Old 12-21-2002, 09:28 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
ficcion,

That sounds awesome!

disclaimer for Magnaflow video: This test was performed on a closed track with professional drivers. Obey all traffic laws. Jack stands were used at all times.

The car had just had it's contact patches Armour Alled for the pics, so it was slip slidin' - woo hoo!

Old 12-21-2002, 10:12 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
My plates are ZEK and then three numbers. Zeek just kinda stuck.

R

Old 12-21-2002, 10:36 PM
Grinder
3rd Gear
Was it my imagination, or was that inside rear tire popping up quite a bit? I couldn't be sure from the video, but it looked like it kept lifting when going around the closer light pole....

Old 12-21-2002, 10:57 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
>>Was it my imagination, or was that inside rear tire popping up quite a bit? I couldn't be sure from the video, but it looked like it kept lifting when going around the closer light pole....

Nope, not your imagination. It was coming up. Reminds me of my old VWs.

R

Old 12-22-2002, 07:12 AM
ficcion
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
>>Was it my imagination, or was that inside rear tire popping up quite a bit? I couldn't be sure from the video, but it looked like it kept lifting when going around the closer light pole....

Grinder,

The modified sway bar is very stiff and brings that wheel off the ground.

The rear end handling characteristics definitely change. Manipulation of the rear end becomes much easier.

Old 12-22-2002, 08:27 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>Here is the link to the Magnaflow video/audio: MAGNAFLOW
>>

I can't believe how much that looks like an R/C car!! I use to race them and the way the CR/W bounced and rolled thru the impromtu oval course is amazing.

Old 12-22-2002, 08:39 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Randy,

Thanks for the informative how-to. It's cool to see the how-to with nice color photos.

>>Here is an overview of the requirements for changing the S exhaust system.

Old 12-22-2002, 09:50 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
>>My plates are ZEK and then three numbers. Zeek just kinda stuck. !

Old 12-22-2002, 10:09 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
>>Great write-up Randy!
>>
>>Here's my own little vid of the borla on my car.
>>
>>R

Hey R, isn't that the Magnaflow in the video?

Old 12-22-2002, 10:26 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
D'oh! That's what I meant. Magna, not Borla.

R

Old 12-22-2002, 11:43 AM
Sarcux
6th Gear
Geez, great detail! I'll have to bookmark this one as I plan on getting an exhaust when I get my S... sounds like the Magnaflow is the better way to go?

Hope you were using a Bone creeper for all that work.

Old 12-22-2002, 11:47 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
>>Geez, great detail! I'll have to bookmark this one as I plan on getting an exhaust when I get my S... sounds like the Magnaflow is the better way to go?
>>
>>Hope you were using a Bone creeper for all that work.

Jer,

I'm leaning toward the Magnaflow. Each system has it's own merits, though. The Quicksilver is half the weight of the stock system. The Borla looks great and is the quietest of the three, but still has a better note than the stock system. When you get the S, feel free to call me at 720-841-1002 to discuss what you want out of the system.

Randy
randy@mini-motorsport.com

Old 12-22-2002, 01:36 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
Cool, thanks for the help. I'll probably be ordering the exhaust before I get the S. Do you sell them? I like to give business to fellow Miniacs. Might be able to send you a creeper for a discounted exhaust, hehheh. I'll call you in a few months.

Old 12-22-2002, 05:05 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
I do sell them. What I've been doing is gathering aftermarket products from all of the different vendors for evaluation. That includes suspension, lighting, intakes, exhaust, and roof flags. I've continued the evaluation, and have selected several products that I will be distributing.

The website should be up by the first of the year or so, and the products available will be in a catalog. I am pushing high quality, customer support, and in the Denver area, installation and track support. I will have the lowest prices available, and if you find a price from a vendor that I didn't - I'll be happy to price match.

I will also have a unique opportunity, since I supply products from several different vendors, to tailor a system based on the specific needs of that MINI owner. I encourage anyone to give a call, as there are different benefits to each component.

Thanks for the support!!

Here is a short list of some of the products available:

Intakes
MINI-Madness
Pipercross
BMP coming soon

Exhaust
Borla
Magnaflow
Quicksilver

Suspension
H&R
KW
MINI-Madness swaybar
Ray Hampton Racing products

Roof Graphics
Cooper Flags

Thanks again!

Randy Webb
Owner - MINI-Motorsport
720-841-1002

Old 12-27-2002, 09:45 AM
SoCalTom
2nd Gear
>>I do sell them. What I've been doing is gathering aftermarket products from all of the different vendors for evaluation. That includes suspension, lighting, intakes, exhaust, and roof flags. I've continued the evaluation, and have selected several products that I will be distributing.
>>
>>I will also have a unique opportunity, since I supply products from several different vendors, to tailor a system based on the specific needs of that MINI owner.
>>

*** Your "multi-vendor" approach is VERY much appreciated... kind of hard to 100% believe vendors when they are pitching their (fill in the blank: intake, exhaust, springs, whatever) product at "THE" best

Quick Reply: How To R53 Drivetrain :: Exhaust Install How-To