How To R57 : Third brake light modulator install

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 05:53 PM
mrbug
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R57 : Third brake light modulator install

I have installed a couple of these on motorcycles and thought it would be a good idea to put one on the Mini.

I searched to see how others had done it and found that most put them behind the brake light. When I removed the light I quickly found there wasn't enough room so I decided to chase down the wires. I found the harness behind the carpet just below the hinge on the driver's side. Luckily it had a plug and was easy to get to.

Next was to figure out how to get the harness out so I could get to the wires. It just takes a quarter turn to get it out of it's mount. Here it is free from the car.

When I removed the tail light originally, I found out that the yellow w/black stripe wire was the power wire and the brown wire was the ground. The modulator I got had terminals so all I had to to was cut and strip the wires. Pay attention to the direction of the modulator and for safety, unhook the battery terminals. Here is a picture after the install.

Here is a picture of the harness tucked back in place.

It is a super simple mod.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:23 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I want to upgrade to the third brake light modulator but am hesitant because of my aftermarket alarm frying the front left blinker circuit (stayed on even when car off draining battery) in my footwell module which cost CarMax $1000 dollars for voiding my extended warranty who wouldn't cover it. Is there a small chance that this pulsing brake light module could do harm to these finicky Mini Coopers electronics? If something on the brake light modulator were to blow a circuit could it affect footwell module just like my alarm system.

Nice DIY guide!