How To Suspension :: Rear Trailing Arm Bushing Insert Install Pre 5/2003 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 12:50 AM
xman11
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Suspension :: Rear Trailing Arm Bushing Insert Install Pre 5/2003 build

Hi Folks,
I finally got around to installing my Powerflex rear trailing arm bushing inserts. I found a DIY for later year R53 but couldn't find one for my 2002 R53. The older R53 trailing arm has a slightly different design where the front attachment bolt points towards the front of the car and is a bit harder to get to.

Anyways, this is how 'I' did the install.

Disclaimer: The reader assumes all responsibility for any alterations and modifications made to their cars. The author of the DIY thread you read are not liable for any damage to your car (or yourself) as a result of poorly documented instructions. The threads contained in this forum are for informational purposes only and should not be followed by people who are inexperienced when it comes to working on their cars. If you are not sure you know what you are doing, consult a qualified mechanic.

Tools needed:
21mm combination wrench (with typical slight angle on box end).

10mm socket
screw driver

(for detaching rear sway bar from sway bar end link in step 4)
16mm socket
adjustable wrench

Step 1 - Raise one side of car and remove rear wheel and rear wheel fender liner.

Step 2 - Remove rear wheel wind deflector.

Pic of screw inside wheel well

Pic of detached wind deflector

Step 3 - Remove rear trailing arm bolt located at the front of the rear trailing arm bushing. This is a 21 mm bolt and took me a long time to remove using a combination wrench.

After removing the bolt, pry off the rectangular metal bracket with a screw driver.

Pic of metal bracket - notice the two tabs.

Pic of trailing arm after removing bolt

Step 4 - Lube up the powerflex bushings and insert them into both sides of the oem bushings. If more clearance is needed between the oem bushing and rear trailing arm, raise the other side of car to bring the two rear wheel hubs at equal height and remove the
rear sway bar from the sway bar end link.

Pic of large bushing insert installed.

Step 5 - Re-attach rectangular metal bracket, making sure the two alignment tabs go into the oem rubber bushing. Insert the 21mm bolt.

Step 6 - Thread the 21mm bolt and tighten to 120 ft/lbs. To do so, the rear trailing arm has to be angled properly to the rear trailing arm bushing. This is the tricky part and I needed to raise the rear trailing arm with a jack while supporting the front end of the arm with a jack stand to get the correct angle. It may be necessary to detach rear sway bar as stated in Step 4.

Step 7 - Re-attach rear wheel wind deflector, wheel well liner, and wheel. Repeat on other side.

Last edited by xman11; 08-19-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Added steps to end. Updated Step 4.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:42 AM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very cool. how bad where your rear bushings? i have replaced everything up front with power flex but wa waiting on the rear becasue of cost and lazieness.... does it feel better?

Old 06-19-2013, 10:33 AM
xman11
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GreekDrifter91
very cool. how bad where your rear bushings? i have replaced everything up front with power flex but wa waiting on the rear becasue of cost and lazieness.... does it feel better?
The rear bushings were ok... some hairline cracks when flexed but no tears. I was surprised how well these held up compared to the e36 bmws I used to own. With the bushing inserts, car feels about the same, maybe slightly firmer, going over bumps, and noticeably more planted when in a sweeping turn.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:54 PM
vietnameeh
4th Gear
Hey I tried attempting this install today I'll say I failed I could not find a way to break that bolt loose. I used ratcheting wrench, breaker bar.

The bolt is at a weird angle and I could not gain leverage?

Any tips, I thought this would be straight forward haha I mean I'm sure it is once bolt is off.

I didn't continue because if it was hard to get off I don't think getting the bolt on would of been easier

Old 08-19-2013, 12:37 AM
xman11
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by vietnameeh
Hey I tried attempting this install today I'll say I failed I could not find a way to break that bolt loose. I used ratcheting wrench, breaker bar.

The bolt is at a weird angle and I could not gain leverage?

Any tips, I thought this would be straight forward haha I mean I'm sure it is once bolt is off.

I didn't continue because if it was hard to get off I don't think getting the bolt on would of been easier
It's at an angle and the small access hole to the bolt head doesnt help.
As posted in my diy, i used a combination wrench where the box end has a slight angle. I tried a lot of other tools but this is the only one that fit.

Pic of tool
http://m.grainger.com/mobile/details/?R=6GCD2

You can probably pick one up from local auto store for $15 or less.

Also, I hope you are turning it the right way. Mine took a little force but i didnt need the leverage of a breaker bar.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:13 AM
vietnameeh
4th Gear
Interesting i did go counter close wise... I guess "pulling it down" but no luck

I might try it again but it was on there pretty dang good

I might try a different combo wrench the one I had was thick couldn't really grab the nut too well

Old 08-19-2013, 03:41 PM
xman11
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by vietnameeh
Interesting i did go counter close wise... I guess "pulling it down" but no luck

I might try it again but it was on there pretty dang good

I might try a different combo wrench the one I had was thick couldn't really grab the nut too well
I uploaded a pic of the combination wrench I used to give you a better idea of the angle/shape, although I think it's a standard shape. I bought mine from O'Reilly Auto for the sole purpose of this DIY and used the box side exclusively. The box side of the wrench should seat on the bolt head 'completely'.

If I remember correctly, to loosen the bolt, the wrench, hanging towards the ground, should swing from passenger side to driver's side of the car. This should be for both trailing arms. Try hitting the wrench with a rubber mallet since it's on real tight. Feel free to PM if you're still stuck.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 AM
vietnameeh
4th Gear
Got it done!!! Had to use a combo wrench with less angle then the one I was using

Very easy this write up worked well

It helped to have strong friend help you line up the bolt too haha

One side did take long because it wouldn't thread through

For me no noticeable difference but I'm still on stock sport suspension