How To Climate Control Temperature Sensor Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 AM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Climate Control Temperature Sensor Cleaning

First I should say that this is only for those that have the AUTO AC controls, NOT for the manual controls. The manual controls do not have this part. Also, they changed the design sometime in the 2004 model year. The way you can tell if you have the control unit I am talking about is to look at the vents at the bottom of the unit. In the picture, the top one is the old style and the one I show how to fix below. The bottom one is the newer style and may be able to be fixed, but I have not done this style.

Mine was buzzing when I got it and I figured out how to fix it. I pulled it back apart just for this post… you’re welcome. The buzzing is coming from the temperature sensor fan. #2 below

On mine, it was jammed up with dust and nastiness. I pulled my sensor out and the first time just cleaned the unit out with a q-tip and cleaner, but it was still buzzing. To do this correctly, you may need to pull the sensor fan itself apart and completely clean it as I did the second time.
To fix it you need to pull out the sensor in one of two ways. You either need to pull out the ac/heater control panel, or if you have small enough hands you can pull it out through this panel on the bottom of the instrument cluster. I don’t recommend pulling it from here unless you have had the dash apart and are familiar with the location of connectors behind there.

To put the sensor back, I shined a light through the vent hole and lined the sensor up while pushing it in.

Once you have the control panel out remove the temperature sensor. Unplug it like so.

This is the sensor itself. Be careful not to damage it.

This is the side of the sensor unit.

Pull the o-ring off, and using a flat screwdriver push on the tabs to pry the back off.

Carefully bend the sensor back so it clears the casing when pulling everything out.

Using a flat screwdriver, push each of the rubber tabs toward the back of the unit in succession a little at a time. It may take a few pushes to get it moved back a little. If your screwdriver is small enough, you can push the motor out by inserting the screwdriver through the hole where the sensor is and push.

Clean off the impeller and around the motor. Also pull the impeller off (it comes right off) and lube the shaft with grease or spray.

Put everything back together in reverse order and again, be careful of the blue sensor when bending it back. Make sure the green circuit board is flipped the correct way otherwise you will need to pull it apart in order to be able to bend the sensor back correctly. Hopefully as was my case, you will now have quiet (at least from this fan).

Last edited by 04_Indi_Mini_S; 09-14-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:18 AM
ViperNL
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your pics don't work

Old 09-14-2013, 07:43 AM
04_Indi_Mini_S
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I tried quickly fixing them, but they aren't linking correctly and I have to leave. For now until I can get them fixed, link to the page I put together is here:

Temperature Sensor Cleaning