How To Add homelink to my 2013 Coupe S R58

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 10:57 AM
MyMiniS
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add homelink to my 2013 Coupe S R58

THIS THREAD SHOULD ONLY BE USED AS AN OUTLINE - IF YOU DO FOLLOW MY ACTIONS, YOU WILL BE DOING IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU MAY RUIN YOUR ORIGINAL MIRROR AND/OR END UP WITHOUT THE ABILITY TO USE YOUR REMOTE FOB TO OPEN AND CLOSE THE DOORS OF YOUR MINI. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME WITH ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE.

THANK YOU.

RON
__________________________________________________ _____

I decided to add homelink to my latest acquisition - a 2013 Mini Coupe S. Since I didn't order this car and felt that homelink function wasn't worth waiting for 8 to 10 weeks, I figured I'll try and replace my OEM Mini mirror with a used BMW auto-dimming and homelink mirror that I found on eBay that was removed from 2003 BMW 745Li.

The Coupe setup is different than the hatchback R56 - see details for R56 modification https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-to-08-mc.html - I have modified our 2012 Mini Cooper S according to this thread and the biggest difference between the cars is the mirrors: The R56 has the mirror coming down from the roof line and the R58 has the mirror connected to a button on the windshield. Additionally, the R58 mirror is smaller than the R56 mirror so retrofitting it with a homelink transmitter is practically impossible. Hence the need to replace the entire mirror.

The R58 mirror has the circuitry required for opening/closing the Coupe's doors. If you disconnect the wiring and remove this mirror, you will lose the ability to use your keyfob to open and close your doors. So if you still want the keyfob to function, really wish to have homelink button with OEM look, don't mind losing the day/night mode of the manual OEM mirror and are a risk taker, you may consider continuing with this modification.

First, you'll have to disconnect and remove the OEM mirror from your windshield. There is a plastic cover over the mirror connection to the windshield that can be separated by "squeezing" the cover from both ends. Don't apply too much force but if this doesn't work, try "twisting" the entire mirror housing clockwise (the bottom of the mirror should be moving towards the driver's side). the mirror will be released from the windshield and if the covers are still connected to the sides of the mirror mount, it will be easy to now take them off.

Next, unplug the electrical plug by squeezing it on the car's side connector.

Now, you should be holding the mirror in your hands.

Next, you will have to remove the trim piece from the mirror housing. Understand that the trim should be "pushed-in" in order to be able to slide out and away from the mirror's housing.

Now that the mirror is open, you should be able to see the electronic circuitry that should be removed from this mirror:

Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  70.1 KB

You will have to cut the white cable tie and pull the wire connector through the mirror base/mount. Be careful not to pull the wires out of the connector. The manual button used for day/night operation should be removed but if you can't achieve this without breaking it - go ahead and break it as it will not be used in the BMW mirror. Now, with mini torx driver and a philips screwdriver you will be able to remove the circuit board out of the OEM mirror.

Next you will have to open the BMW mirror - same concept as on the OEM mirror but this mirror is older (in my case over 10 years old) and I ended up breaking a couple of tabs in the process. No biggie as there's always "crazy glue for the rescue..." Once open, here's what you will see:

Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  82.3 KB

As you can see, the homelink circuit board is connected directly to the 3 buttons that are used to open/close the remote garage doors/gates.

Now, look at the wires and the plug you removed from your OEM mirror - it is much smaller and has less wires than the BMW plug. 12V is in existence between:
Brown - Ground
Orange - +12V

Name:  photo3.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  42.8 KB

You will have to use this cable/plug and run it through the BMW mount. Next you will have to reinstall the circuit board that was removed from your original mirror and install it in the BMW mirror. Needless to say, you will have to remove the small, LED circuit board from the BMW mirror as you need the same space for your OEM circuit board. once removed and replaced by the OEM circuit board, you will have to provide power to the homelink transmitter - see the picture that shows my "art work" before electrical tape was added to protect these wires from shorting out.

Now, reinstall the BMW mirror and the plastic side-covers. You are done !!!

Here are a couple of pictures of the finished product installed in my car:

Name:  photo5.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  photo6.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  72.2 KB

Bottom line: It can easily be done and since I use the homelink a lot more often than the day/night feature of the mirror, I think it is a worth while modification.

Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Ron

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (12-14-2020)
Old 05-28-2014, 09:40 PM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up been searching for days on removing the mirror base!!

THANK YOU FOR THE NOTES ON REMOVING THE MIRROR BASE!!

i was trying to hardwire my dashcam and wanted to hide my inline fuse in the base but had no idea on who to remove it. You rock man!

Thanks again! Btw, just a quick glance at my OjoCam install..

Attached Thumbnails Add homelink to my 2013 Coupe S R58-2014-05-28-23.13.13.jpg  
Old 05-29-2014, 02:26 PM
MyMiniS
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimmyselix
THANK YOU FOR THE NOTES ON REMOVING THE MIRROR BASE!!

i was trying to hardwire my dashcam and wanted to hide my inline fuse in the base but had no idea on who to remove it. You rock man!
Thank you for your "Thank you" !

Now, please share some info re: dashcam:

- make/model/where to buy etc.

- how much memory does it have and how often do you download the videos?

- does it have a built-in GPS (so you can view the video and see where the car was driving on google maps)

- any other info will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Ron

Old 06-02-2014, 10:11 AM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
guide written up and posted to the mods

Old 12-14-2020, 01:20 AM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
WRONGPlease delete

Last edited by Staxtis; 12-14-2020 at 02:28 AM.