How To R53 Supercharger Oil Change - HOW TO

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
sorry for keep bringing this awsome write up back but i have a little question. i ordered the sc oil from summit. the link that was posted on the first post. and they sent me an ac delco supercharger oil. is that fine? i thought i was buying the gm one. what should i do? use it?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1440&bih=699&q=ac+delco+supercharger+oil&oq=ac+delco+supercharger+oil&gs_l=img.3..0i24.1470.8644.0.9227.25.10.0.15.15.0.57.469.10.10.0...0.0...1ac.1.14.img.MTOw2n5F3WQ#imgrc=EVeZjJvOz2DddM%3A%3B0Wh-zyGbRlzJYM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi1052.photobucket.com%252Falbums%252Fs460%252FGSPsnFORDs%252FIMAG1155_zps7b323216.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.svtperformance.com%252Fforums%252Fterminator-parts-buy-sell-242%252F933925-ac-delco-supercharger-oil-qty-2-4oz-bottles.html%3B1024%3B612

Old 05-22-2013, 03:57 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kr4nG
they sent me an ac delco supercharger oil. is that fine? i thought i was buying the gm one.
ACDelco is part of GM. I think they just decided to sell the same thing under the ACDelco name.

- Mark

Old 05-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Enzof104
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's the right stuff. I picked mine up directly from the Chevy dealer and that's what hey gave me. It's been in my sc for months now.
Btw - for those of you looking to do this project, don't bother ordering this online unless you are ordering other things with it. Call a Chevy dealership first and ask if they have it in stock. I found it at 3 of the 4 dealerships I called.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
thanks for the heads up but i already ordered all the recommended gaskets/ o rings and oil. Im ready to do the maintenance myself but i just cant decide if i want to buy new radiator hoses and the waterpump housing with the thermostat. can anyone share thier opinion how thiers looked when they changed theirs? my mini is at 102K miles now. i dont feel like throwing another 150 bucks to it if its unecessary. but then again dont say "since your in their go ahead and change them" opinion. cause it wont help. thanks

Old 05-23-2013, 03:33 AM
Enzof104
3rd Gear
Here's the thing with that. You won't know if your lower hose is in bad shape until you get there and it's MUCH easier to do this work once. Personally I replaced just the lower hose to be safe. If I recall, that wasn't very expensive at all. My car had 80k when I did the job and both hoses looked good but with some age. IMO this is good cheap insurance to changes at least the lower hose if not both.
As for the thermostat, your car does not need to be in service mode to do this so if you are on a budget you can get away without doing it now but keep in mind that this is something that will fail one day and you are in there. The housing is also a very common fail point. I know you don't want to here this but it is a lot of work and most people only want to do it once. As for condition, mine looked OLD and worn with lots f buildup in it.

I just reread your post - the watepump and the T-stat housing are in two totally different areas. I changed my watepump at the sametime. If you dont and it fails, you have to do the exact same project all over again to get to it. This is where the "while your in there" part comes in. Unfortunately I cant really say what kind of condition it was in since all the wear would be internal on that part. Going by the condition of my t-stat I'm sure it was full of build up from old fluid - previous owner never changed the radiator fluid in the car.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited by Enzof104; 05-23-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
so basically just buy the waterpump now. and later buy the thermostat with housing later since i dont need to rip it all apart and i can reach it easily. did i understand correctly. another 100 bones for waterpump and hoses wont kill me "since im in there"

Old 05-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Enzof104
3rd Gear
I don't want to tell you how to spend your money because its likely your pump is fine but this project is a lot of work and once you do it you'll be glad you took steps to reduce your likelihood of doing it again. My system was never flushed and everything had caked on residue on it so my bet is it was a matter of time for me. But that's just my personal opinion and I'm not a mechanic. i also may have a dfferent budget than you.
Maybe someone else can chime in on this?

The t-stat does not require service mode to get to so you can do that at another time if needed. Just check the housing to be sure it's not leaking when you get a good look at it.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
to be honest i rather do it now because i didnt buy the car brand new. i use it for dd and i have no service records at all. i bought the car with 100k and can't afford to break down somewhere over something so simple to do now. since this is not my 400hp integra i dont want to spend money on something it dont need. im a honda guy and i never changed my water pump on any of them. the life of honda parts vs mini is unfamiliar to me so far. i know where i can push something aside on my honda engine. But i really appreciate the suggestions. if im already in their i should change them or dont even bother doing it. i dont have that much time to spend like i use to. usually when im allowed to do my "car stuff" like my gf calls it i have to do it all in one day or else she thinks im working on "another project". But i ordered a pump and some hoses with clamps. now i should be ready to tear down the front end. All i need is coolant. The green coolant OK for mini? or do i need certain color coolant. thanks

Old 05-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
since this is not my 400hp integra i dont want to spend money on something it dont need. im a honda guy
I used to be an Acura guy with an Integra GSR back in 1996 that was featured in Sport Compact Car. Have pics and details of your beast?

Old 05-23-2013, 07:45 PM
mr. jim
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use MINI antifreeze!

Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
thanks ill use mini coolant.

first gear post https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-kr4ng-nj.html

Old 07-16-2013, 06:25 PM
JoeGravelle
3rd Gear
Question:

I'm swapping SC's and changing the oil in the replacement SC and I see these posts on the red clip and I'm curious if I need to remove it on my new SC. It shipped with a plug in it which comes out easily.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Kr4nG
3rd Gear
i did this oil change only a month ago and i had lots of fun. not being sarcastic i love working on new things. the way i did it was i was holding pressure on the clip down and i pulled the line out. then when i was ready to install back together i cleaned it real good and pushed it back in. then i used some rtv silicone around the fitting and clip to help seal from any vacuum leaks.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:16 PM
arth4
1st Gear
Hey ye'all. I am about to do my clutch on a car with about 85K. I was a little hard on the clutch post installation of the 15% pulley, mea culpa. Anyway, I was thinking that now is a good time to re-oil the old SC while I have the thing taken apart, but I was hoping to get some feedback.

I just talked to Way, and he said not to bother. "If it is low on oil, just putting new oil in is just a band-aid." He might be right. On a different thread, someone else said that the new clean oil may just clean away the crap that is keeping the seals form completely failing. I have read things like that before, but I figure that becuase this is an old thread, it may be as easy as asking:

Of those of you that have changed the oil in the SC, how many have experienced a failure in less than 80k from that change?

Old 05-28-2014, 03:00 PM
4Driver4
1st Gear
Originally Posted by arth4
"If it is low on oil, just putting new oil in is just a band-aid." He might be right.
I agree. In fact, I recommend the same approach for the engine and trans. Changing oil is just a band aid. /sarcasm

Originally Posted by arth4
On a different thread, someone else said that the new clean oil may just clean away the crap that is keeping the seals form completely failing.
That's silly. Change the oil. It's cheap and easy once you dig in as far as you plan to.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:43 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Changing oil

My R52 JCW is in the shop getting some work done and the supercharger slipped my mind. I don't have time to order new gaskets or anything else, is it possible to change the oil without replacing any of the other parts? It's not ideal, but I'm just trying to service it the best I can while it's apart.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:09 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When I did mine, the green supercharger inlet gasket and the rubber o-ring for the water pump outlet were in good shape. I'm pretty sure I could have reused the green s/c inlet gasket, and in a pinch - reusing the water pump outlet o-ring might have been ok.

The water pump outlet is the one I'd worry about the most. It's a simple o-ring and it's highly likely that you could find a suitable replacement at an auto parts store. At minimum, I'd replace this o-ring when doing the s/c oil service. It's not fun having to tear everything apart again because you neglected to replace a cheap (and likely generic) o-ring.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:37 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
When I did mine, the green supercharger inlet gasket and the rubber o-ring for the water pump outlet were in good shape. I'm pretty sure I could have reused the green s/c inlet gasket, and in a pinch - reusing the water pump outlet o-ring might have been ok.

The water pump outlet is the one I'd worry about the most. It's a simple o-ring and it's highly likely that you could find a suitable replacement at an auto parts store. At minimum, I'd replace this o-ring when doing the s/c oil service. It's not fun having to tear everything apart again because you neglected to replace a cheap (and likely generic) o-ring.
thanks! I'll shop around tomorrow for the o-ring. I'm at 80k miles btw. I may have a couple days, depending on how long my mechanic is cool with waiting for parts to arrive. I've had one of his lifts tied up since Monday, so I dont want to push it.

Last edited by burley; 01-24-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:31 AM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You might want to change the WP while you are in there if it is the original one. Maybe the T-stat too.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:34 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GoThingNC
You might want to change the WP while you are in there if it is the original one. Maybe the T-stat too.
Thermostat and housing?

Old 01-25-2017, 06:34 AM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by burley
Thermostat and housing?

Yes.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:44 AM
Philip Rushing
2nd Gear
Has anyone used one of these:

http://www.mbkperformance.com/

It is a supercharger oil refill kit. I have one coming this week for installation while I am replacing my radiator. It has been pretty well talked over in the minitorque forum.

My SC has 210,000 miles on it and this will be the 3rd time it has been re-oiled. The waterpump side was pretty damn low, but no trace of gunk, shavings, shards, or sludge even after flushing it twice.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:33 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Philip Rushing
Has anyone used one of these:

http://www.mbkperformance.com/

It is a supercharger oil refill kit. I have one coming this week for installation while I am replacing my radiator. It has been pretty well talked over in the minitorque forum.

My SC has 210,000 miles on it and this will be the 3rd time it has been re-oiled. The waterpump side was pretty damn low, but no trace of gunk, shavings, shards, or sludge even after flushing it twice.
Thanks for bringing this thread back from dead. Now I know I can top up the oil in the SC next time I pull the front end apart.

Post #1 in this thread has excellent photos of the two filler plugs on the SC.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:59 AM
smylekids
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Trying to change my SC oil, but the hex drain plug is stripped on the pulley side. If I remove the bolts and separate the two pieces, can I change the oil this way? TIA.

Old 05-08-2023, 11:21 PM
Brad S
1st Gear
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
When doing these oil refills, does anyone have experience of taking the Snout & PTO casings off their supercharger ?

Wouldn't inspecting & cleaning out both ends be a must-do ? Is their any potential damage you could do in taking either of these ends off ?

Im ready to do this myself, but I don't want to damage anything :(

Quick Reply: How To R53 Supercharger Oil Change - HOW TO