Go Back  North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Modifications > How to
Interior/Exterior :: Aftermarket Heated Seat Kit Install 2008 MCS (R56) >

Interior/Exterior :: Aftermarket Heated Seat Kit Install 2008 MCS (R56)

Interior/Exterior :: Aftermarket Heated Seat Kit Install 2008 MCS (R56)

Old 10-15-2016, 05:15 AM
kevinherring
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Photos?

Hi, great write up, really useful, thank you.

Apologies for reviving an old (but still valid) thread, but the photos in the original do not display for me at all. If I click on the broken link it tries to open the photo in a pop up form but it never appears.

An example of the url of one of the photos:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t_kit_pack.jpg

If I stick that directly in my browser it thinks about it for a few seconds and then just takes me to the forum main page.

Any idea how we can view the photos?

Edit:

I found the photos in OaklandMini's photo gallery here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/g/album/3782015/2

Last edited by kevinherring; 10-15-2016 at 05:21 AM. Reason: new info
Old 10-15-2016, 07:13 AM
anitan1
3rd Gear
Kevin,
Message me your email address and I'll send you a pdf of my instructions and pics from this post....
Thanks,
Nate

Originally Posted by kevinherring View Post

Apologies for reviving an old (but still valid) thread, but the photos in the original do not display for me at all. If I click on the broken link it tries to open the photo in a pop up form but it never appears.

If I stick that directly in my browser it thinks about it for a few seconds and then just takes me to the forum main page.

Edit:

Old 10-15-2016, 11:47 AM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinherring View Post

Edit:

Yeah, I hosted the images here so that the photos would never be an issue, but it looks like this forum changed their gallery entirely for each image. Bummer, but yes, all images are in my user gallery here.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:16 AM
kevinherring
Neutral
Mid install here (got round to it at last!). Thanks to Nate for the instructions on the difficult location to install the switches. For anyone else reading this, I suggest you buy a "Titanium Step Cone Drill Bit Hole Cutter 4-32mm" to drill the hole - it will make your life much easier.

I have two questions for the wiring. My wiring lengths seem to be a bit different to the photos here, but:
1. The instructions say that 10 amps is required PER SEAT, yet people seem to be combining both so a single 10 amp fuse via the add-a-circuit. Should I use 2 separate add-a-circuits?
2. Which route did people choose for the red wire to the fuse box? Under the carpet in the foot-well or round the back of the pedals? I can't see any mention of the route taken.

Thanks
Kevin

Old 09-21-2017, 04:45 PM
ChrisLondon
Neutral
Retro fit genuine heated seats with aftermarket wiring

I've installed a few trim upgrades on my UK spec mini that have included leather seats. These seats have heated elements in them, but I don't have heated seats programmed into my mini. So what I wanted to find out was whether I can use the existing wiring within the heated seats, and mate it with an aftermarket switch and relay to activate them? I was also considering adapting my control panel to use the genuine switches if that was even possible??

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Old 09-21-2017, 05:23 PM
anitan1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ChrisLondon View Post
I've installed a few trim upgrades on my UK spec mini that have included leather seats. These seats have heated elements in them, but I don't have heated seats programmed into my mini. So what I wanted to find out was whether I can use the existing wiring within the heated seats, and mate it with an aftermarket switch and relay to activate them? I was also considering adapting my control panel to use the genuine switches if that was even possible??

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Chris
What year is your vehicle? Where did the seats come from? Did you get the heated seat cluster from the center column when you got the seats? Honestly, I don't think this is possible at least not from a DIY perspective. The dealer could probably do it if you spent enough money. I looked into it prior to doing my JCW and was told that it couldn't easily be done. It has something to do with the way the seats and switches are wired and programmed into the electrical system. In fact I was told that even if I could get a set of the switches, it would be almost impossible to wire them up to operate the heat elements that I installed. Sadly, I did this project so long ago that I've forgotten many of the details surrounding that piece of it.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:49 PM
ssean72
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I know this is a OLD post but wish the pics where still here

The following users liked this post:
OaklandMini (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 05:25 PM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ssean72 View Post
I know this is a OLD post but wish the pics where still here
Just spent about 45 mins updating each link for you.
Stupid NAM changed the gallery and didn't auto-update links.

Should be all set now.

I no longer have my '08 Mini, but doing this install was fun. Hope this helps anyone considering this mod.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:10 AM
anitan1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OaklandMini View Post
Just spent about 45 mins updating each link for you.
Stupid NAM changed the gallery and didn't auto-update links.

Should be all set now.

I no longer have my '08 Mini, but doing this install was fun. Hope this helps anyone considering this mod.
Oakland, I have a PDF of my section on this install. Maybe we should put them together into one pdf that we can send people when these links don't work anymore. Or when they need a handy-dandy manual for this install. I agree, it was a fun install and very rewarding to know I did it myself.

I still have my '09 JCW (on which I did this install). The car and I moved to Scottsdale, Arizona this past year, so I don't use these heated seats as much. But, they still work (and look) great!

Old 01-13-2018, 10:08 AM
ssean72
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Well I jumped head first into this install, this article helped out allot thank you!!! I did it on a R53, the process was mostly the same, Minus my upper potion was glued to the foam, that made it a little bit more difficult. The install took me about 8 hours and I did almost say screw it half way through the install, but I pressed on and glad I did. Once again NMM helped me out THANK YOU.

Attached Thumbnails Interior/Exterior :: Aftermarket Heated Seat Kit Install 2008 MCS (R56)-1878837f-5c99-40ea-9141-53beb94d5592.jpeg  
The following 2 users liked this post by ssean72:
ECSTuning (04-03-2018), OaklandMini (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 11:37 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 552 Likes on 532 Posts
Wow, that's awesome looks OEM in the R53 also.

Have MINI questions? Need MINI answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
[email protected] | [email protected] | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK
Customer Service Hours: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST|Sales Team Hours: 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM | Saturday 10AM to 7PM EST 800.924.5172
Old 04-03-2018, 11:48 AM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ssean72 View Post
Well I jumped head first into this install, this article helped out allot thank you!!! I did it on a R53, the process was mostly the same, Minus my upper potion was glued to the foam, that made it a little bit more difficult. The install took me about 8 hours and I did almost say screw it half way through the install, but I pressed on and glad I did. Once again NMM helped me out THANK YOU.
Glad to see this guide is still helping people. Makes it all worth it.

I too almost scrapped the entire thing mid-way, but it's one of those mods that once done, totally changes the car for the better.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Someone needs to do the rear heated seats in a R60/R61 or try the fronts in an F56.

Have MINI questions? Need MINI answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
Customer Service Hours: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST|Sales Team Hours: 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM | Saturday 10AM to 7PM EST 800.924.5172
Old 04-03-2018, 12:54 PM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
Someone needs to do the rear heated seats in a R60/R61 or try the fronts in an F56.
...and that someone is you.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:02 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Don't have an F56 here yet, but we do have an R60 from one of the employee's cars. We carry the seat heaters now, so maybe in the future

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/IBHS1/

My R52 and R58 I have seat heaters factory. Maybe I can see about my R52 rear seats, that would be cool for cold nights with the top down and 4 people.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:21 PM
OaklandMini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
Don't have an F56 here yet, but we do have an R60 from one of the employee's cars. We carry the seat heaters now, so maybe in the future

My R52 and R58 I have seat heaters factory. Maybe I can see about my R52 rear seats, that would be cool for cold nights with the top down and 4 people.
No offense, but it seems like you're trying to hijack this thread into a sales opportunity for your site when you add a link, etc.

I don't even own a Mini anymore, but keep this thread going and have updated all the photo links recently (after they were deleted) to assist others. Feels great to hear when people do this monster mod based on this thread and I do this to assist people and not to generate sales for someone else. You should create your own thread if you'd like to push your own sales.