How To Interior/Exterior :: Halo Headlight LED Repair With Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interior/Exterior :: Halo Headlight LED Repair With Pictures

This is an informal write up in the case you have the LEDs go out in your HALO/angel eyes headlights. What I'm showing you is how to replace the LEDs that came in the lights with LEDs that use resisitors. These lights have an inverter from the factory (the little black box). They should have used resistors. This write up is very basic since I had already done the modification to mine and couldn't actually start from scratch. You should still be able to do this with no problems. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Recommended tools

8mm Socket and 1/4" Ratchet
Wire Crimpers
Hobby Knife
Wire Cutters
Wire Strippers
Heat Gun (optional(

Parts

4 Pre-Wired 3mm LEDs
16 gauge wire
Red crimp connectors
Heat Shrink (optional)
9.6 or 7.2 volt battery connector (optional)

**Notes**
The battery connectors are what I use to make a quick disconnect for the HALOs. Since the connectors for the high and lowbeams are plug and play, adding a quick disconnect to the HALO will allow the headlight housing to be pulled out quicker without having to cut the wire. You can also add a quick disconnect to the extra set of lights if you hooked these up in the first place. You can buy these connectors at Radio Shack. The LEDs I use came from http://www.oznium.com/prewired-leds and remember, you must get the 3mm LEDs. The 5mm are too big.

Step 1. Disconnect all wiring to the headlight housing. Use the 8mm socket to remove the 3 nuts that hold the headlight housing in the bonnet and remove the housing from the bonnet.

Step 2. Remove the cover over the HALO. Looking down inside of the hole, you'll see a small rubber grommet pressed into the bottom of the HALO. Gently pull this out. The picture below is basically what you will be holding.

This is the original LED setup minus the rubber grommet. Carefully pull the LED from the rubber grommet. You will need to keep the rubber grommet, but you can toss the LED in the trash. (note, you will have to either pull the connectors off the LED, or cut the inverter off the wiring to actually pull the wiring through the rubber grommet).

Step 3. Next, you'll see two holes on the bottom of the rubber grommet that allowed the wires for the LED to run through. This is where the hobby knife comes into play. Carefully slit the grommet in between the two holes. This will allow 4 wires from the pre-wired LEDs to run through. Sorry, I couldn't get a good shot of what the grommet looks like after making the slit. But once you see the bottom of the grommet, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Step 4. Take 2 pre-wired LEDS and place them together like this.

Next, Carefully, and I mean carefully bend the two LEDs away from each other. You want to becareful because there are resistors under the heat shrink and you don't want to damage them. Once these are bent, slide all four wires through the grommet and pull until the LEDs are in the grommet like this.

As you can see, this set up almost looks like the original one. Don't worry, the rubber grommet will hold the LEDs in place with no problems. Also, remember, because you used 2 LEDS, there will be 4 wires. 2 positives (red) and 2 negatives (black). You will need to make sure they are together and are hooked up accordingly.

Step 5.
Now what you are going to do is place the LEDs inside the HALO. You'll notice the hole is specifically made to allow 2 LEDs to fit in there. Just carefully work the LEDS into the housing and push the grommet into place. Make sure it gets a good seal. You will have to play around with wiring a bit to make sure it's out of the way inside the housing. Here are some pictures.

Don't forget to put the wires through the rubber cover that covers the opening in the headlight housing. Now, you are pretty much done. This is where I tell you about the quick disconnect. You can use either a 9.6 volt or a 7.2 volt battery connector. It doesn't matter which one you use and either can be purchased at Radio Shack. What this does, is allows you to remove the entire headlight housing without having to cut the wiring if you happened to hard wire the HALOs. Here is a picture of what my light looks like with the connector on.

You can use heat shrink to cover up any electrical splices. This adds protection from the elements and gives a nice, clean professional look. As you can see in the above picture, I used electrical tape. It works, but just doesn't look as nice. After you have figured out how you want to wire your HALOs, repeat this procedure for the other light. Then you are ready to put them back on the car and be ready to show off those angel eyes again. Remember, this is also the time to decide if you want to be creative and try different colors for your HALOs. Again, if anybody has any questions or needs any additional help, please feel free to PM me. This write up is intended to help in the event your LEDs go out or if you just want to change the color.

Last edited by Fatherdeth; 11-25-2009 at 09:25 PM.