How To Maintenance :: Cooper Oil Change with Pictures

Old 06-18-2009, 01:11 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by adude007
Nice Write up!

Something I didnt notice, where to take the used oil. Im sure the fishes and the powers that be would not apreciate dumping down the sewer.
Anyone have any ideas?

my local trash service provides used oil jugs that i call to get and just leave by the curve on trash pickup days. my other choice is to take it to the auto parts store that (in CA) by law has to accept used oil (if they sell oil)

Old 06-18-2009, 01:30 PM
nullstadt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe any Wal-Mart that has an auto-repair facility will also take the used oil.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice Write up!

Something I didnt notice, where to take the used oil. Im sure the fishes and the powers that be would not apreciate dumping down the sewer.
Anyone have any ideas?
In California, you can get free oil recycle containers from auto supply stores, Jiffy Lube, etc. In some areas, your trash collection service will pick up the oil. Just leave the container next to your recycle container on trash day. Or, take it to where you picked up the oil container.

For other states, Google "used oil recycling" with your state name and you should find lots of info on how to deal with it and where to take it.

Used motor oil is a very serious pollutant, so please recycle it.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Milton Mini
2nd Gear
I have an 09 MCS Cabrio. Dealer sold me the wrong filter when I had my 08 Mini Cabrio. What is the BMW/Mini part # I need for my current ride. May have the oil filter already.
Milton Mini

Old 06-18-2009, 02:13 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Milton Mini
I have an 09 MCS Cabrio. Dealer sold me the wrong filter when I had my 08 Mini Cabrio. What is the BMW/Mini part # I need for my current ride. May have the oil filter already.
Milton Mini

Old 06-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Milton Mini
2nd Gear
Great, and thanks. That's the one (wrong at the time) they sold me for the 08 MC Cabiro. I now have an 09 MCS Cabrio and it will fit!!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2009, 02:30 PM
33EJB
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice Write up!

Anyone have any ideas?
My town's landfill has a "hazardous waste" collection day once a month or so - I just dump the old oil from my drain pan into the container that the new oil came in, cap it and keep it in my garage until "waste" day at the landfill. They even take the empty plastic container and recycle that, too.

Alternatively, most garages that do oil changes on a regular basis will take it and dump it into their oil-recycling barrel for free. Just PLEASE don't put anything else (old brake fluid, antifreeze, paint thinner, etc.) into the same container before you take it to them. It's really easy to contaminate their batch of old oil with all this other crap, and if that happens they will be very reluctant to take used oil from you or anyone else again!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:10 PM
adude007
2nd Gear
Too many people to quote for all the reply's for all the oil recycling, so thanks to everyone who replied. Does walmart charge for this service. Also, now that I think about it the last time I was wandering my local wally world I thought I saw a sign about used oil.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:44 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
I use 2 x 8s with a 2x4 cross-ways under each for about 3 inches of lift. Chalk a rear tire with E-brake on hard. Perfect.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:54 PM
KWK
Neutral
Originally Posted by Surfink
I thought it was a 27mm socket to remove the filter housing?
Yes Surfink, you are correct. It is a 27mm socket that you use for the oil filter.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:54 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Nice Write up!

Anyone have any ideas?

Some car dealers or quick oil change stores will take it. Some auto parts stores will take it and some states require that the place you bought your new oil MUST take your old oil. If you live near a small airport there is often a used oil collection tank for pilots that change their own oil.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:02 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gawannamini
Some car dealers or quick oil change stores will take it. Some auto parts stores will take it and some states require that the place you bought your new oil MUST take your old oil. If you live near a small airport there is often a used oil collection tank for pilots that change their own oil.
Additionally, most towns have garbage dumps that take the oil. Also, some gas stations take it as well. I have also seen some Walmarts that take oil.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:14 PM
jclubman
Neutral
Great write-up! I wish there was a category that just contained how-to write-up like this! People could post answers to them but only new threads could be added by the Moderators. That way it doesn't become "cluttered".

Old 08-12-2009, 04:53 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
I take mine to the local quick lube. Most quick lubes will accept DIY motor oil for recycling (take the filter too).

Old 08-16-2009, 12:01 PM
ParanoidAndroid
1st Gear
Nice Write up!

Anyone have any ideas?

I know that over here you can take oil to O'Reilly's/Schucks Auto or to places like Autozone or Napa, etc. Other than that we have to take any vehicle fluids to the local waste management sites and pay a fee for disposal.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:19 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Nice Write up!

Anyone have any ideas?
In my town nearly all the quick lubes will take DIY oil for recycling.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:01 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mordecai
I have ramps that are about 1' or 1-1/2' high and they work fine for getting under the car. I think ramps come in a standard size, so anything you get as long as its rated for enough weight should be fine. The only thing I've noticed is that you'll scrape the guard on the bottom of your bumper a bit on the way up and back. It's spring loaded and shouldn't matter

I bought Rhino Ramps with a 12,000 lb rating. I was initially turned off with the plastic construction but these are great ramps and the MINI does not drag on them. They have a thick rubber foot under the front that compresses as soon as the tire starts up the ramp. They don't scoot all over the floor like my old steel ramps did on smooth concrete. I got them at O'riley's for about $45 but I also so them at numerous other auto parts stores.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:36 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Waste oil can be taken to AutoZone in my town for recycling at no cost. Perhaps other auto parts stores also accept old oil. I learned from by my local dealer to use only OEM filters when changing my own oil. Apparently they had experienced an instance where a non-OEM filter "came apart" and plugged the jet in the connecting rod that sprays oil onto the underside of the piston on the turbo "S" engine. The lack of cooling to the underside of the piston led to failure of the piston and needless to say tore up the engine pretty good. This could be a sticky warranty situation so the moral of the story might be to stick with OEM filters. I now have a good stock of OEM filters for my oil changes between Dealership changes, they are very reasonable at Morristown MINI.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gawannamini
I bought Rhino Ramps with a 12,000 lb rating. I was initially turned off with the plastic construction but these are great ramps and the MINI does not drag on them. They have a thick rubber foot under the front that compresses as soon as the tire starts up the ramp. They don't scoot all over the floor like my old steel ramps did on smooth concrete. I got them at O'riley's for about $45 but I also so them at numerous other auto parts stores.
That's a good price. They are around $60 on Amazon. The 8000 is around $36. Any reason you went for the 12,000 version? Are they taller than the 8000?

I was reading Amazon reviews, and two of them talked about them slipping on concrete floors. I wonder if they added the rubber recently?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Gzirra
Neutral
oil change via extraction/suction method?

Have any of you tried changing the oil via the suction/extraction method?

I use the suction method advised by Mercedes-Benz for my MB - and supposedly the BMW shops use the extraction method as well. No need to pull the drain plug or to fit a new crush ring. It makes for a far cleaner job - you can do it in your Sunday best if you wanted to.

I've also found that I get several more ounces of oil removed via the extraction method vs. the drain plug method.

My wife's Mini is due (now out of warranty), and I'm planning on using the extraction method and renewing the removed factory oil w/redline 5w30...

Old 09-29-2009, 11:41 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
That's a good price. They are around $60 on Amazon. The 8000 is around $36. Any reason you went for the 12,000 version? Are they taller than the 8000?

I was reading Amazon reviews, and two of them talked about them slipping on concrete floors. I wonder if they added the rubber recently?
I have an 8000 version and it can sometimes slip on a concrete floor.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:43 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gzirra
Have any of you tried changing the oil via the suction/extraction method?

I use the suction method advised by Mercedes-Benz for my MB - and supposedly the BMW shops use the extraction method as well. No need to pull the drain plug or to fit a new crush ring. It makes for a far cleaner job - you can do it in your Sunday best if you wanted to.

I've also found that I get several more ounces of oil removed via the extraction method vs. the drain plug method.

My wife's Mini is due (now out of warranty), and I'm planning on using the extraction method and renewing the removed factory oil w/redline 5w30...
Much debated in NAM but I have used the suction method for about 15 years and I like the ease of it.

Redline 5W30

Old 10-10-2009, 12:13 PM
rduke222
2nd Gear
Take the used oil to any auto parts store for recycling.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:20 PM
rduke222
2nd Gear
Very Important note for novice DIY'ers

Make sure that you never overfill the oil. If unsure it is better to put a little less oil in and check the level after the engine is warm and the car is level. Be sure to put the dip stick all the way in when checking the oil level.
Too much oil will blow out seal(s). Very expensive and probably not covered by warranty.

Last edited by rduke222; 10-10-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: wanted to add something
Old 10-10-2009, 01:52 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady

I too was initially concerned about plastic ramps but these Rhino ramps (I got the 12,000# rated ones) are the best I have ever used and the large rubber foot keeps them from slipping - even on my garage floor with a pretty smooth finsih. Much better than chasing the metal ramps all over the garage

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To Maintenance :: Cooper Oil Change with Pictures