How To R53 Drivetrain :: Atla Intake Install How-To

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 07:53 AM
stripe-man
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveS
Re installation: As I installed the filter on the Alta enclosure, it slipped off. I did not trust it to stay on. Using a 4" crecent wrench, I bent the lip of the pipe which the filter clamps to outward. I found the 4" crescent to be narrow so it bent the pipe easily and fairly smothly. The filter did not slide off as I clamped it down. I think Alta should have made the tube longer so the filter would not slide off as easy as it does. I also constructed a small support out of foam to support the end of the filter as it is cantilevered and might "rattle" off eventually, without you knowing about it. I liked this better than the use of a coat hanger straddling the enclosure which ran under the filter which another poster showed, although that would probably work better. Just unsightly. My foam support does not show.

I was apprehensive about the noise of the Alta. It is not bad at all under normal driving conditions. Only when you hammer it is it loud. However, you better be paying attention to the road and not the music when you are full throttle.

In conjunction with the Pulley, this is a very effective and economical power mod.

Can we have a picture ? Thanks much!!!

Old 07-31-2006, 11:58 PM
stripe-man
2nd Gear
sorry was a double post..

Old 08-01-2006, 05:53 AM
MiniMacPR
5th Gear
Old post.

You are quoting a post from 9/2003. If I am not mistaken, the Alta intake has undergone several updates since then and I don't believe this is a problem anymore.

If you have any concerns about the install, the Alta guys have a thread somewhere on the site (to lazy to look for it) and they are usually more than happy to give feedback and help with throubleshooting. Hope that helps!

Old 08-01-2006, 09:16 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
MiniMacPR,
Thanks for the backup!
You are correct, there is a lot of evolution on our intake. Regarding the filter slipping off, the neck is longer, and we make it very clear in the instructions to clean the inside of the filter. This is the main reason filters fall off.

stripe-man,
Hopefully that helps!!! Call us or email us if you have more questions!

Old 01-30-2007, 10:24 AM
minimic
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bgrpph
wow- about that whisle- and always wondered if i had leak somewhere. Couldn't find anything on MCO about this whisle. I've had madness with drilled out partition for last 6 months. Whisle seems to be more noticable last few months. Doesn't whisle all the time but seems to begin after full throttle- then continues most of time until just less than 2500 rpm then stops- gear doesn't matter but it doesn't whisle all the time.
Guess from Randy's post it is normal. Glad to finally know this. i won't bother mentioning it to dealer when i take it in next week for a sunroof rattle (when roof is open all way).
my sunroof is rattling when tilted (cracked)! took it in and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. when i drove it off and cracked the sunroof, the rattle was back! maybe its not the sunroof, but it sure sounds like it.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:26 PM
robino
4th Gear
did any of you receive the small hose clamp (for the little nipple connection coming out of the intake tube) and also the clamp for the air intake tube (the plastic one)?

Cause all i got were two large clamps for the throttle body and filter end of the rubber intake hose.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:09 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Im having some major fitment issues with my silicone hose. It doesn't look anything like my oem hose (its not nearly as curvy) and I have to force it into position for it to connect. It has a visible bend in it, and as a result, I question whether it has an airtight seal around the throttle body. Is this normal??

Old 08-11-2012, 09:51 PM
E-tek
Neutral
Great How to at Mini Mania.

Last edited by E-tek; 08-11-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:13 AM
mrlogsd
Neutral
I have been running the Alta CAI now for about 2 months and have noticed a 1 to 1.5 decrease in MPG, which I didn't expect. Although I don't have any real numbers to prove this, but the car feels like it has less tork in the mid range than what it did with the stock intake. I did have some friends drive the car and told them only that I had a new intake, I did not mention tork or power at all to them, and they came away saying it felt like the tork had decreased as well. Has anyone else experienced this with a new intake? Again this may just be my imagination here.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:59 PM
javelina1
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what happened to the original post pictures? bummer...