How To Interior/Exterior :: Aero Grill Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 12:03 PM
speedmini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior/Exterior :: Aero Grill Installation

I have a 2006 MCS and i'm looking to replace the stock grill with the Aero Grill. Does anyone have any info on installing the Aero Grill for both the upper and lower portions? I've seen pictures of only the upper grill installed and in my opinion both must be done. Any info and or tips would help.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:08 PM
blainelv
4th Gear
Old 06-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Justanthony
3rd Gear
Do a search or check out my thread

Hi Speedmini,
The best way to find answers on the boards is to use the search feature in the upper right corner. There have been plenty discussions on how to install an aero grille on a stock bumper. I created a thread a while back when I went through the process. Lots of people added to the thread with some great tips.

You will definately find it useful!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...=belikeanthony

Good luck!
Anthony

Old 07-08-2007, 08:04 PM
thebestever
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by speedmini
I have a 2006 MCS and i'm looking to replace the stock grill with the Aero Grill. Does anyone have any info on installing the Aero Grill for both the upper and lower portions? I've seen pictures of only the upper grill installed and in my opinion both must be done. Any info and or tips would help.
we just installed the top grille in today (in 90 degree heat, too too hot to try to do the bottom!)...

what those instructions don't tell you is that when you put those stupid self tapping bolts BACK on you thread the plastic by screwing them back on...

attempting the lower grill next weekend... and i am opting to use vinyl tape instead of spraypainting...

will post pics after we are done, but i gotta say... oscar is looking hott with the new upper grill! love the black... less chrome the better.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:19 PM
minjae
6th Gear
definitely a great and somewhat easy mod to do..
just make sure you TAKE YOUR TIME and measure LOTS of times before cutting..
i measured by eye a couple times and cut. AND i kind of rushed it...but i was still overall happy with the outcome.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:30 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
I did mine without taking off the front bumper, spray painting, or tape. its easy if you use you head.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:14 PM
DesignIt
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thebestever
we just installed the top grille in today (in 90 degree heat, too too hot to try to do the bottom!)...

what those instructions don't tell you is that when you put those stupid self tapping bolts BACK on you thread the plastic by screwing them back on...

attempting the lower grill next weekend... and i am opting to use vinyl tape instead of spraypainting...

will post pics after we are done, but i gotta say... oscar is looking hott with the new upper grill! love the black... less chrome the better.
I did mine yesterday also. I agree with you about the "Yugo quality" self-tapping nuts that hold the upper grille on. I found that putting an 8mm nut in the socket wrench will allow you to push on the nut and force the threading of the post instead of just spinning around it and stripping it out.

Here's the techinque I used to trim the lower grille edge:

After marking the depth of the cut with a piece of narrow masking tape, I used a hacksaw to cut to the proper depth.

Using the tape guideline, I scored the plastic with an Xacto knife. Make several shallow passes instead of one deep one. A sharp blade is a necessity.

Break the scored plastic off working from one end to the other in small steps.

I used a Dremel with a cut-off wheel for the ends because the curve made it impossible to score and break.

Perfectionism settled in. I filed all of the scored and broken edges smooth with a file.

Notice the tape line used to give an accurate and consistent edge for all of the slots. The width of the slot was marked on the tape before I started cutting.

I filed the slots smooth with a file.

Bumper area behind grille sanded and painted with semi-flat black.

There's another issue that isn't mentioned on the MotoringFile instructions.
The tabs with the hooks that hold the bottom edge of the aero grille in place are an extremely loose fit on the standard bumper. This will allow the bottom edge and the ends of the grille to protrude from the surface of the front bumper.

To solve this, I pushed the grille in flush with the bumper and had my wife mark a white pencil line on the back side of each tab so I would know where to drill the holes in the tabs. Then, I drilled holes through each tab on the bottom and both ends of the grille, and put screws in to hold the grill flush with the bumper. Don't forget to allow space for the screw heads to fit above the marked line. I put the screws in at a slight angle where necessary so that both the head and the other end of the screw would contact the back side of the bumper cover.

Inside of the bumper showing the screws holding the tabs at the correct depth.

The finished product with the grille flush with the bumper.

I hope this helps with your lower grille install.

John

Last edited by DesignIt; 03-17-2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Clarifying instructions
Old 07-09-2007, 03:25 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
I don't understand why none of the vendors have offered to buy the lower portions in bulk, trim to fit the standard bumper, and resell.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:25 PM
OSUBeaver
3rd Gear
Wow!! DesignIt, you took the time and effort I should have put into my install. The holes with the screws is a great idea. Eventually i had to epxoy the ends on so the they wouldnt stick out.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:29 AM
thebestever
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DesignIt

Here's the techinque I used to trim the lower grille edge:
hot damn! thanks for the additional insight, i am definitely going to use it when we do the lower grill this weekend. your grill looks faaaaabulous!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:43 AM
DesignIt
4th Gear
Originally Posted by thebestever
hot damn! thanks for the additional insight, i am definitely going to use it when we do the lower grill this weekend. your grill looks faaaaabulous!
Thanks! One thing I'm going to edit on my post is a step that I left out. I pushed the grille in flush with the bumper and had my wife mark a white pencil line on the back side so I would know where to drill the holes in the tabs.

Hope this works well for you.

John

Old 08-21-2010, 08:06 PM
anitan1
3rd Gear
Hey DesignIt, thanks for the additional info on the install. I'm in the middle ofmine right now (will finish tomorrow) and I was wondering about the tabs being loose/sloppy in the cut slots. Your screw idea is awesome and I will use it. Thanks again!

Old 08-23-2010, 07:21 AM
DesignIt
4th Gear
Originally Posted by anitan1
Hey DesignIt, thanks for the additional info on the install. I'm in the middle ofmine right now (will finish tomorrow) and I was wondering about the tabs being loose/sloppy in the cut slots. Your screw idea is awesome and I will use it. Thanks again!
Thanks! Mine has been in place for years and the screws are still holding it tightly against the bumper.

John

Last edited by DesignIt; 08-23-2010 at 10:52 AM.