How To Interior/Exterior :: Front Mud Flaps Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:12 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior/Exterior :: Front Mud Flaps Install

Hey guys,

I am a moron, and I can't seem to imbed photos. So here is the narration, and the word doc attached. When I figure out how to do this proeprly (or if a NAM member can download the word doc and reply below that would be GREAT!)

Enjoy!

Hey folks,

Having not seen these on a car other than online I was uncertain how they were going to look. Once I had test fit them I was instantaneously aware how kool they made the body lines look, as well as additional protection both for Howard and my fellow motorists.

I wasn’t going to write a how-to on these mudflaps until I got the instructions in hand. WOW! From the dealer they are more than 15 pages! FIFTEEN Pages for MUDFLAPS! As I read through them and again as I was actually performing the installation I was amazed at how unclear the supplied instructions were and how complicated the installation actually was. So I have written my own. As always proceed at your own risk and use your head to prevent injury to your previous MINI and to yourself!

Starting with the front:

The instructions swear you can do this with out removing the wheels or raising the car. I wasn’t able to.

Raise the car onto jack stands. Never work on a car solely supported by a jack. Ramps won’t work here as you will need to turn the wheels or remove them to access the inner fender liners:

Then pick a side to start on. (I chose the right side hence the photos below.)

Remove the plastic pop-it screw.

Then clean the entire area with prep-sol or similar to promote adhesion of the double sided tape later on.

Dry fit the flap and mark the holes for the screws to secure it to the inner fender. While this sounds easy, I couldn’t find anything that I could see after making the mark. A sharpie blended in, both in black and silver. SO…I used a bent all to actually poke holes in the liner. Worked great! See photo:

Then using the retaining clips as a guide, carefully trim the fender liner enough to allow each one to slip onto the liner and align with the holes made previously. I used a utility knife to make the necessary cuts. You don’t have to be TOO particular as long as you don’t cut a TON extra. Note below I have the upper installed and the lower trimmed.

Next tuck the fender liner back into the fender. Then take the red adhesive release tape down and up approx. 1-2” each direction. DO NOT REMOVE all of it at this time!

Then place the flap over the body. Then being sure the alignment is correct place the black split clips over the flap and the plastic fender trim. While this sounds easy I can assure you it is NOT. I ended up using a combination of my bent awl, pliers and a shop rag to get them on and located properly. Thankfully all of the plastic is pretty durable and mar resistant.

Pull the tabs of the release tape working out from the start point. The manual says use 5kg of pressure. I just pushed REAL hard and it seemed to stick. Then install the two screws to secure the inner fender liner to the flap.

Finally install the serrated pop-it thingy through the base of the flap and into the hole vacated by the original pop-it in above. Now rinse and repeat (sorry that is shampoo), now go and do the other side. When complete use suitable methods to lower the vehicle from the jack stands.

When you are done they look sharp! A nice and inexpensive modifcation, that increases function and beauty of the car! (You will see more of what I mean when we lower it later today!) Hope this how-to is a good supplement to the OEM printed ones.

Now on to the REAR!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
admasaltaminifrontflaps.pdf (308.4 KB, 1813 views)
Old 06-10-2007, 03:31 PM
msh441
6th Gear
I'd be interested to hear some feedback if you notice a difference in the cleanliness of your car. I've been considering doing fronts, as it might help avoid a bit of spray kicked up down the side of the car (possibly chips and dings in front of the rear wheels, too).

Old 06-10-2007, 08:03 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
msh441: It did rain a bit today. I did drive the car about 15 miles or so, and I had far less crud along the doors and lower, vs. the other day driving it in similar conditions without them. Should then cut down on stone damage as well. I will post more pictures soon that show better how much better the car looks with them installed. Thanks for the comment!

Old 11-29-2007, 10:23 AM
jeffsmini07
Neutral
Mud Flap Installation

Just recieved a set of front and back mud flaps by order and found your posting. Thanks for the great instructions, since the factory ones make no sense! I'm going to install them this weekend.

I also have a Pure Silver 2007 Cooper S. Do you have any current pictures to post on how yours looks after the modifications?

Old 11-29-2007, 07:54 PM
flaco
4th Gear
this is what they look like on the rear of a jcw....they don't fit on the front....i like them and think it improves the look of the rear end of the jcw kit.....they take some modification to fit the rear

Old 11-29-2007, 07:55 PM
flaco
4th Gear
Old 11-30-2007, 01:45 PM
harley0711
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by flaco
I do not see the little peal/stick reflector on the rear mud flap??? that came in the set

http://www.minimania.com/pdfile/R56_Mud_Flaps.pdf page 12 "letter 'H'"

Old 11-30-2007, 02:13 PM
flaco
4th Gear
that's an ECE part and not on US vehicles I believe

Old 11-30-2007, 03:12 PM
harley0711
5th Gear
Originally Posted by flaco
that's an ECE part and not on US vehicles I believe

Its in the package I just got from EB Mini

Old 11-30-2007, 06:53 PM
flaco
4th Gear
i guess put it on if you like it or leave it off

Old 12-01-2007, 09:58 PM
harley0711
5th Gear
I just did not know what it was for

Old 12-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Plasmodesmata
2nd Gear
I had no problems putting my mud flaps on myself and without removing the rear wheels. It is a tight squeeze, but it is definitely possible to install the rear flaps without wheel removal.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Plasmodesmata
2nd Gear
...Just did it again with our second MC. With small enough hands and a 90 degree screw driver, the rear wheels can stay on the car during installation.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by harley0711
I just did not know what it was for
Leave it off. It is for Europe. My kit included one as well.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:55 AM
kgardnez
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never mind... I found what I needed by searching Silly/lazy me!

Last edited by kgardnez; 01-05-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:08 PM
SirSweeney
1st Gear
Thank you for the instructions. I just installed a set of fronts and I couldn't have done it without you. I got the mudflaps from the dealer with no instructions, so I really needed your help. One thing you didn't mention; I put the screws in right after replacing the liner. Also, I used a tool that sheetrockers call a nose picker, it's for removing sheetrock screws. It made every thing easier. I turned the wheels to the direction I was working on and didn't remove the wheels of jack up the car. A short awl was perfect for marking the holes.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:11 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SirSweeney
Thank you for the instructions. I just installed a set of fronts and I couldn't have done it without you. I got the mudflaps from the dealer with no instructions, so I really needed your help. One thing you didn't mention; I put the screws in right after replacing the liner. Also, I used a tool that sheetrockers call a nose picker, it's for removing sheetrock screws. It made every thing easier. I turned the wheels to the direction I was working on and didn't remove the wheels of jack up the car. A short awl was perfect for marking the holes.
Right on! Glad that all worked out for you. Happy modding!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:31 AM
trwxxa
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just purchased a set of mud guards for the front and rear, and downloaded a set of the shop instructions for the installation. They don't look too complicated, but your instructions with pics are really going to help a lot.

Now I just need some good weather so I can get the MINI clean enough for the install.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What Harley described as a peel/stick reflector is actually a continuation of the rear mudflap - there is a cutout in the mudflap to fit round the US side clearance light which we in Yurp don't have, so the little bit of plastic fills in the gap:

On the R57 (covertible) I find the rear mudflaps to cut down the muck and water thrown onto the rear screen in rain - but only from 'awful' to 'very bad'. The front ones seem to make quite a difference to how much crap is thrown up the side of the car on muddy roads and would probably help prevent tar spots (if it ever got hot enough here to melt tar).

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails Interior/Exterior :: Front Mud Flaps Install-rear-flap.jpg